• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty obvious the Aussie media just think it is a better idea to let the non-fanatic cricket followers think that the reason they lost was because of the evil foreigners who cheated. And this incident can be played in a way that will add to that narrative. Another one for my post where I listed the reasons Australian Cricket Community just seems hell bent on turning everything into "we are always great and if we get beat, its coz of cheating or other factors"... Just hope the larger Australian cricket fandom are as reasonable enough as most of the CW aussie community and can see through all this.
They're not. Australia have never lost at home. The team has either won or been dudded by cheaty foreigners.

Gob

International Coach
Come on guys lets stop this subject now and talk about something else about SA.

How about South African cheetahs? I saw one on TV last week. Fascinating creatures

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think batsman or bowlers' average has to be taken in the context of what the average scores were when he played. Safe to say, 10-15 years ago 250 was generally par and you seldom saw anything north of 280 being chased down. If you work out the couple of percentage points the average scores have gone up by since then, then perhaps Gilchrist's ODI record looks more impressive statistically.
There's an inverse relationship between average and strike rate for openers. Faster you score your runs, the less your average. It's why Tendulkar is the GOAT, because as well as having a massive average for an opener, he also scored his runs quicker than just about everyone else did as well (from memory he struck at around 89 to Jayasuriya's 91).

Gilchrist's job was to score his runs quickly, not necessarily score loads of runs. I've no doubt he could have dialled things down a bit and averaged more but his job was all about building the best platform possible for his middle order.

Burgey

I think the more fascinating discussion would be about Aussie Chickens... Such a great country for farming, eh?
First pic looks like. White leghorn. The darker ones are, I think, Australorps which were bred to be larger than existing breeds as a kind of cross between a great laying bird like a Rhode Island Red and the meat producing birds which were already around. Kind of an ovarian AIS.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The pie oven, if available, seriously does it so well. Over the years I've tried a microwave (seam popped open), normal oven (too long to heat up) and the engine bay of a car (forgot where I put the ****ing thing).
Is that why you had to get the bus?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
My neighbor has a chicken farm here.. He has got a variety of ducks and parrots and dogs and cats too... Annoying at times in the night when you wanna get a good night's sleep but on the bright side, haven't needed an alarm when I got 3 or 4 roosters waking us up every morning :)

TheJediBrah

Pretty obvious the Aussie media just think it is a better idea to let the non-fanatic cricket followers think that the reason they lost was because of the evil foreigners who cheated. And this incident can be played in a way that will add to that narrative. Another one for my post where I listed the reasons Australian Cricket Community just seems hell bent on turning everything into "we are always great and if we get beat, its coz of cheating or other factors"... Just hope the larger Australian cricket fandom are as reasonable enough as most of the CW aussie community and can see through all this.
Do you not know how the media works? A story is a story, no one actually thinks the incident had any real effect on the match, and I don't think anyone said it did. Or even implied it.

You've made a very stupid inference here if you actually think what you posted

In fact the very same media has been shitting all over the Aus team for being **** at cricket. Not exactly ""we are always great and if we get beat, its coz of cheating or other factors", is it?

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
So at what point does saliva become non-artificial after eating and what is an acceptable level of glucose in saliva for it not to become ball tampering? And should you avoid garlic the night before in case it effects the movement of the ball....
How about you just don't tamper in the first place! But if you do learn your lesson and don't do it again! Lets go for 3rd time lucky.

TheJediBrah

How about you just don't tamper in the first place! But if you do learn your lesson and don't do it again! Lets go for 3rd time lucky.
but you have to draw the line somewhere. What if you just like candy or need a sugar hit? Should you not be allowed to shine the ball? What about gum? Only sugarfree allowed?

the big bambino

International Captain
That's right. Don't shine the ball. Or if you have to, shine it on your pants. Faf might want to keep it away from his zip though. OMG! Am I saying Faf shouldn't wear pants?

Naïve.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Do you not know how the media works? A story is a story, no one actually thinks the incident had any real effect on the match, and I don't think anyone said it did. Or even implied it.

You've made a very stupid inference here if you actually think what you posted

In fact the very same media has been shitting all over the Aus team for being **** at cricket. Not exactly ""we are always great and if we get beat, its coz of cheating or other factors", is it?

Fair enough, the stuff I have read seems to suggest it is being given undue levels of attention even providing for the "media gonna media" fact. But if that is not the case, great. The interviews from Amla and others seems to suggest it was not the case though. I am willing to take your word for it as you live there and see so much more of this coverage than what we do from just google and crapinfo and stuff.

TheJediBrah

Fair enough, the stuff I have read seems to suggest it is being given undue levels of attention even providing for the "media gonna media" fact. But if that is not the case, great. The interviews from Amla and others seems to suggest it was not the case though. I am willing to take your word for it as you live there and see so much more of this coverage than what we do from just google and crapinfo and stuff.
I think the whole "we are great, if we lose it must be because reasons" attitude that some people seem to think the Australian public have is a bit of a myth, Most people are just laughing at how bad they've been in the last few months.

The Australian team/staff on the other hand I couldn't tell you, but they have seemed to have had that attitude in the past.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the whole "we are great, if we lose it must be because reasons" attitude that some people seem to think the Australian public have is a bit of a myth, Most people are just laughing at how bad they've been in the last few months.

The Australian team/staff on the other hand I couldn't tell you, but they have seemed to have had that attitude in the past.
I am sure Channel 9 has that.. And it was their reporter who tried to do this bullshit stunt. So I feel I am right in my inference as far as Channel 9 goes at least. That commentary was some of the most cringeworthy cheer leading I have ever seen, and I have seen RSA matches with their SABC commentary feed. :p

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am sure Channel 9 has that.. And it was their reporter who tried to do this bullshit stunt. So I feel I am right in my inference as far as Channel 9 goes at least. That commentary was some of the most cringeworthy cheer leading I have ever seen, and I have seen RSA matches with their SABC commentary feed. :p
Channel 9 are scrambling to arrest a massive fall in their cricket ratings but even they are not saying anything other than "SA good, us ****."

In general, the team has become a bit of a laughing stock and there has also been massive criticism directed towards CA and their administration of the game.

For example, there is a lengthy article in The Australian today about the plight of local/junior cricket in South Australia and how CA is completely out of touch is with the grassroots

There has, however, been quite a bit of criticism towards SA's handling of this matter and IMO, it is pretty much justified

SeamUp

International Coach
The Protea Fire brotherhood will stand up for one another.

So **** you Australian media :laugh:

Last edited: