• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Compton on cricinfo says England should have mixed attack with defence.

What like he was successful at doing in his career?
He does have a point though, this wasn't the kind of surface where your odds of deadbatting for 160 overs against Ashwin and Jadeja successfully were good when half of England's team who aren't spuds are stroke makers. They would still lose but maybe more respectably since 400 in 160 overs is arguably more doable.

indiaholic

International Captain
I think a bit of attack might have been a good idea because how defensive Kohli is.. Get away a few boundaries and you can get rid of the fielders around the bat. Could have made the draw easier.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just shows that inspite of the influx of talented players who can take the game by the scruff of the neck, the typical English attitude still remains, IMO.

Not that they should have gone hammer and tongs. The way they batted in the 2nd session yesterday was fine, but once the attack was blunted thus, they should have rotated the strike more and scored a bit more freely. But on reflection, I think they did start to do that, at least Cook did, but then they got some good bowling from Jaddu and Ash that confused them a bit and maybe they just decided it just wasn't worth to try for the win. But yeah, some nurdled singles and the odd boundary won't have been the worst options to try. Track was never becoming that bad where you cant ever stay in.

91Jmay

International Coach
Sadly predictable result. Duckett should be dropped for his own sake, Ansari should be dropped for my sanitys sake.

India just too good for us in these conditions.

indiaholic

International Captain
I am not saying that they should have tried to go for the win.. Trying to go at 4 an over would have ended it just as early. But could have used it to spread the field a bit.

indiaholic

International Captain
Sadly predictable result. Duckett should be dropped for his own sake, Ansari should be dropped for my sanitys sake.

India just too good for us in these conditions.
Excluding this tour, is Duckett considered a long term prospect? If so, May not be worth dropping him for a player who is only going to be marginally better.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
He does have a point though, this wasn't the kind of surface where your odds of deadbatting for 160 overs against Ashwin and Jadeja successfully were good when half of England's team who aren't spuds are stroke makers. They would still lose but maybe more respectably since 400 in 160 overs is arguably more doable.
lol

does losing more respectably make the series score 1-1/2?

what a load of nonsense.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Excluding this tour, is Duckett considered a long term prospect? If so, May not be worth dropping him for a player who is only going to be marginally better.
I would say yes he is a prospect long term. Still young and had a brilliant season in England. You can't decide a player is a total write off until they play a few games in home conditions anyway so he has to get a chance at some point. Whether that is next summer or a few years down the line I have no idea but he will play a few tests in England no matter what happens in the rest of this tour to India.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mishra and Gambhir have been released from the test squad to play Ranji. So Jayant's place seems safe for the 3rd test. Bhuvi coming back should be the only change.

vcs

Kohli on England:

"That was the plan. To have intent. It is only if you have intent that you will be able to play the ball accordingly because you are looking to play with the bat. If you don't have intent, and you are looking to control the ball, and if it does something, then you are in no position to control it. So the edges fly off and you are not in position.

"If you are looking for runs, you defend well because your head is on the ball as well. So that was the idea to get runs as the pitch gets tougher to bat on, show intent and keep getting runs in between, extend the lead so the opposition feels the heat of those 30-40 runs. It is a pretty basic thing to do, to be honest, and if you don't have intent in the fourth innings, it is tough to play out four and a half sessions."
#intent

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol.. said intent some 10 or 15 times there. Indian cricket has truly ushered in its #intent era. Just hope we have better luck than our Aussie friends. :)

OverratedSanity

Kohli's a ****ing idiot. He was ****ting bricks yesterday afternoon when it looked like Cook and Hameed would survive till stumps.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
I'm sure if Azhar Ali was batting in the same situation for instance he would have scored 10 runs from 160 balls or something and Kohli was the only one who looked at ease in that second dig anyway.