• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

indiaholic

International Captain
If you need two sessions without a wicket, in conditions that are not terrible for batting but are definitely uncomfortable, then you are not in it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gotta say I have been might impressed with Stokes. I know he came on a lot over the last 2 or 3 years and has improved as a test cricketer, esp. batsman but definitely did not expect him to show the kind of gumption he has done since he has been here. He has had like 10 chances and lives, sure, but this innings esp. shows how much he has improved and how much he WANTS to improve. Definite Kohli levels of the Maturity Journey there. Obviously has ways to go as a bowler and is very much a batting allrounder at this point and seems to get wickets by the sheer force of his personality than anything magical with the ball, but then, so did Shane Warne so many times in his career.

Definitely and easily the best all rounder in the world now and I just hope England don't destroy him with captaincy and too much lavish praise like it seemed they did a bit with Flintoff. As long as Stokes can ensure things dont get to his head too much, we are in for a treat of a career.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hardly gambhiring when you are six wickets down and have a 250+ run deficit.

Well, yeah, but I Just wanted to say that.. :p

Actually, I reckon it was a bit of gambhiring simply because of how good the pitch has been. I guess we will find out in this session, if it is just the rolling overnight that caused it or if the pitch is actually getting better and firmer.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gotta say I have been might impressed with Stokes. I know he came on a lot over the last 2 or 3 years and has improved as a test cricketer, esp. batsman but definitely did not expect him to show the kind of gumption he has done since he has been here. He has had like 10 chances and lives, sure, but this innings esp. shows how much he has improved and how much he WANTS to improve. Definite Kohli levels of the Maturity Journey there. Obviously has ways to go as a bowler and is very much a batting allrounder at this point and seems to get wickets by the sheer force of his personality than anything magical with the ball, but then, so did Shane Warne so many times in his career.

Definitely and easily the best all rounder in the world now and I just hope England don't destroy him with captaincy and too much lavish praise like it seemed they did a bit with Flintoff. As long as Stokes can ensure things dont get to his head too much, we are in for a treat of a career.
Yeah he's a wonderful cricketer. And great to watch as well.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India have kept the run-rate down, so it feels like England will need a 2nd innings collapse from India to win it from here, whereas India will always be pushing for the result as long as they can avoid a terrible session with the bat somewhere down the line.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Rahul will be important in the second dig. He can surely go very big very quickly compared to most of our other batsmen. But yeah, need to get the next 4 wickets first.

I am surprised at how slow the pitch has been though. So much for my pitches tend to be quicker in the coastal centres theory. :(

hazsa19

International Regular
If Broad could refind anything like how he used to bat upon coming into the team, you guys might still have a chance at getting close enough to make it interesting.

But, as usual, losing the toss = losing the match overseas.
Should read... 'Bizarre selection, abject captaincy, poor fielding, a batting collapse on a flat pitch including a run-out and some epically awful shots = losing the match.'

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dunno y Kohli is so reluctant to use Ash with the new ball, esp. in these conditions. Its obvious that Ash himself thinks he gets more out of the new ball than a old one on slower tracks. Why not go Shami + Ashwin and Umesh as first change?

Dan_M_Bali

U19 Debutant
Rahul will be important in the second dig. He can surely go very big very quickly compared to most of our other batsmen. But yeah, need to get the next 4 wickets first.

I am surprised at how slow the pitch has been though. So much for my pitches tend to be quicker in the coastal centres theory. :(
No-one will be that important in the second dig. You'll have a 150 run lead already with a deep batting lineup.

indiaholic

International Captain
Dunno y Kohli is so reluctant to use Ash with the new ball, esp. in these conditions. Its obvious that Ash himself thinks he gets more out of the new ball than a old one on slower tracks. Why not go Shami + Ashwin and Umesh as first change?
Maybe because Umesh needs swing to be effective. I do see your point though.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah echoing with you. Have seen people bashing him all around as not good enough to play at #6 and all that but he has proven his critics wrong including me. Condition, seaming or spinning, does not bother him. Equally adept at all. Surprised how good he came off against BD in spinning tracks. Work to do with ball when it's not reversing but easily fit in the 3rd/4th seamer role. Also should be mentioned he often comes to bat in a pressure situation and not enough runs on the board or wickets tumbling at other end. Making of a class all rounder and a huge asset to England team.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No-one will be that important in the second dig. You'll have a 150 run lead already with a deep batting lineup.

Nah.. if India bat again, the clip at which we score could mean the difference between a win and a draw esp. given that every **** England plays seems to be a batsman these days...

Dan_M_Bali

U19 Debutant
Nah.. if India bat again, the clip at which we score could mean the difference between a win and a draw esp. given that every **** England plays seems to be a batsman these days...
Assuming this pitch will disintegrate I'll be very surprised if you need more than 4 sessions at the end of the game to bowl us out. You're meant to have the world's best spinner.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Maybe because Umesh needs swing to be effective. I do see your point though.
Maybe, but at least its worth a try with the second new ball. Kohli has got a bit of what I Like to call "Ganguly-itis"... He wants to do certain things as a captain just because he thinks he NEEDS to be seen to be doing something different. Remember when Ganguly gave an interview saying Yuvraj was the opener for the future for INdia in tests? Apparently, its ok to have Sehwag and Yuvraj, two new comers, open in the hardest format of the game but when its ODI time, it is Sachin and Sourav.. :p Kohli seems to have similar aspirations of being "seen" to have won games in India with the seamers playing a crucial role. Even on dusty tracks.