• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

91Jmay

International Coach
Partly agree. I was saying more on the combination of all those factors. Yes, draws happen but this could easily have been an England win if they could have forced the issue especially since it will be a significant win being the first test of a long series.
If England forced the issue they could well have lost a match they controlled which would have killed them on a long overseas tour

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I'm ****ing well happy with how we've played this test and especially how today's gone. I was hoping for India 5 down in this innings and we've got six and considering England were 190/1 this morning I reckon 170/6 is a good effort.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
If remember the name Carlos Brathwaite can hit four sixes in one over, Adil soon to be remember the name can pick up four wickets too

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah so many good things to take from this match. What do we do if Anderson is good to go for the second Test?

Bijed

International Regular
Ah, would have obviously liked to see more of a collapse from India but I've thoroughly enjoyed the match and there's been a lot of positives.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Great last day.

Only big thing against us is that Kohli looks ominous, but I'm not sure anybody could have expected more from us this Test.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah so many good things to take from this match. What do we do if Anderson is good to go for the second Test?
Drop Woakes and weaken your batting to get him in. He will only be as effective as Woakes with the ball so I don't really see a point of playing him tbh. Let him rest more.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
This idea that a drawn test 100% means one side misses opportunity to win needs to die in a fire. We'd have needed 15 more overs to bowl them out, which is 70 runs less for them to chase. No captain on planet earth would have done that.

Jadeja padding his average
I'm positive had it been Clarke or McCullum they would've declared earlier, maybe Kohli might have too. Cook came off as pretty cowardly and I say this as someone who believes Saf themselves bottled it in that 400 chase against India. Teams rarely if ever chase 250 + in the 4th innings.

listento_me

U19 Captain
England should take a lot of positives from this and India will probably aim to make more of a spinning track next time out.

Gotta say, both teams have decent batting depths.

91Jmay

International Coach
I'm positive had it been Clarke or McCullum they would've declared earlier, maybe Kohli might have too. Cook came off as pretty cowardly and I say this as someone who believes Saf themselves bottled it in that 400 chase against India. Teams rarely if ever chase 250 + in the 4th innings.
Clarke wouldn't have declared because the game would have ended 2 games ago with an innings loss. You are talking unmitigated rubbish. Did you see India's declarations against New Zealand? Opposite of attack.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Stokes averages 35.xx with the bat, 33.xx with the ball I think
From cricinfo, his batting avg is 33.1 and bowling avg is 33.3 though that comment was more tongue in cheek. I admire Stokes and am sure it will improve next test onwards.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Leave him until the third test. Anderson takes his time coming back from injury.

When the time comes to select him then I'm not sure. Probably drop Ansari.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's worthwhile thinking what kind of a pitch is India's best chance of beating England.

Such a flat surface can work. But Ashwin and Jadeja will have to bowl better. Also will have to win the toss and bat first.

A spin friendly pitch could work. However, Indian batsmen look vulnerable against Moeen and Rashid. Could be a lottery.

This is not an easy decision. Would still go for a spin friendly pitch.