• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, because that is the problem here.

Warner gets too much love on this forum. He has an abysmal away record and as far as I'm concerned rarely performs when it counts.
Warner as captain? Honestly? I know Smith is pretty average, but haven't Australia's troubles centred around their batting? I can only think Smith's part in the environment could impact on that, and even then that's much more of a Lehmann issue. And David Warner is a good/great player whatever, but what evidence suggests that Warner has any idea how to captain a side, how to lead a side, how to deal with the media, the pressure, etc.

Seems to me like the selectors and Lehmann should be in the gun before Smith.
Just have to cop Smith as captain regardless of how bad he is IMO; there are no better candidates.
Everyone piling on TPC's captaincy needs to get off the vapour. You can't defend piss weak totals no matter who captains. Five gets you ten he'll end up a first rate skipper. Those suggesting Warner are kidding. First rate knob head.
Sheesh guys, I'm not saying I think Warner should be captain, I'm asking whether Australia will actually make that call, rightly or wrongly. Get some reading comprehension lessons ffs.

I do think there's a chance they could do something that drastic, especially if they lose 3-0 or something.

Spark

Global Moderator
Think it goes back to Lehmann IMO and the mindset he's clearly trying to instil in the batsmen; the approach of the tailenders has been substandard for a while now, and that's always a bad sign.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Correct me if I am wrong here, but I think that EVERYTHING around the Australian Cricket set up at the moment seems to be all too matey-blokey, "we are always the best even if we keep losing everything" and "we know better than everyone in the world"... I see it in the Channel 9 commentary team, I see it with the CA execs interviews now and then, I see it when they stated reasons for picking Lehmann and why he was great for the job, I see it in some of the new Aussie posters here, (and some that are not that new)... It just seems to be a culture of just keep saying Australia are great, coz we were great earlier and everyone will believe it and things will happen on their own. Get the feeling that everyone there is very happy to hire and get people who will never question the status quo - Australia is great at cricket because we say Australia was a great team just recently and we will keep reminding everyone of that, often from the mouths of the very guys who were in those great teams, we will keep talking about sledging, owning the place, white line fever, aggression and of course, the CW favorite, #intent. Will they even let anyone who wants to question the current system be heard?

91Jmay

International Coach
Correct me if I am wrong here, but I think that EVERYTHING around the Australian Cricket set up at the moment seems to be all too matey-blokey, "we are always the best even if we keep losing everything" and "we know better than everyone in the world"... I see it in the Channel 9 commentary team, I see it with the CA execs interviews now and then, I see it when they stated reasons for picking Lehmann and why he was great for the job, I see it in some of the new Aussie posters here, (and some that are not that new)... It just seems to be a culture of just keep saying Australia are great, coz we were great earlier and everyone will believe it and things will happen on their own. Get the feeling that everyone there is very happy to hire and get people who will never question the status quo - Australia is great at cricket because we say Australia was a great team just recently and we will keep reminding everyone of that, often from the mouths of the very guys who were in those great teams, we will keep talking about sledging, owning the place, white line fever, aggression and of course, the CW favorite, #intent. Will they even let anyone who wants to question the current system be heard?
This is all spot on. It's what happens when you inhabit a vapid cultural wasteland like Australia. When barbecues and surfing are essential parts of your cultural ethos it has to be expected.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Sheesh guys, I'm not saying I think Warner should be captain, I'm asking whether Australia will actually make that call, rightly or wrongly. Get some reading comprehension lessons ffs.

I do think there's a chance they could do something that drastic, especially if they lose 3-0 or something.
Nah, that's cool. I wasn't saying you did say that. I'm genuinely asking if Australia are considering it, why they would be. Is he vice? I mean, Tim Southee has been NZ's vice at times and a toilet brush would be a better on-field skipper (least it would point in the right direction occasionally).

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
You know how when you have 10 teams in a comp, some of them have to be weaker than the others? It's Australia's turn. It happens. Considering we've pretty much been the dominant team forever, apart from a couple of radar blips along the way, I'd consider we've done ok overall, and we'll return strong soon enough.

This is all spot on. It's what happens when you inhabit a vapid cultural wasteland like Australia. When barbecues and surfing are essential parts of your cultural ethos it has to be expected.
You'd kill to have the weather warm enough for a BBQ or a surf. The British heatwave- over 20c for two consecutive days!

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol it's the same sort of shot he would play in the first over almost every game if it's there to hit, and he averages almost 50 doing it

He was just unfortunate that he nicked it this time. Literally just "looks bad" because he got out, if he hit it for 4 everyone would be praising him no end.

How is this not obvious?
Australia needed responsible and disciplined batting to combat a good attack in ideal bowling conditions - Warner chose the easy route and it is not acceptable to fob it off by saying "But that's the way he plays"

Furthermore, Warner averages nearly 50 on roads against pop-gun attacks and neither was the case here

He also generally requires a massive amount of luck to score his runs anyway so dont tell me that he was "unfortunate" to edge a ball that anyone with half a brain would simply have left

Gnske

It's somewhat ironic that the most measured that Warner has ever been imo was his second test match in his 2011 Hobart knock until he started panicking at the end. And that's before even the non-Channel 9 cronies started saying "He's looking like such a test match bat, look him, so good, he sees the ball and hits it, so extraordinary"

social

Poor pitch if 15 wickets are falling on day 1 of a Test match.
How is it that Smith, who if one were to believe CW, is a massive flat-track bully, could score more than 50% of our runs without being unduly troubled?

Our batsmen are a bunch of soft ****s that have been brought up on roads playing against bowlers using the cricketing equivalent of a beach ball

Not that he was all to blame but Lyon summed it up for me - rather than simply trying to hold up an end for his captain, he took an unnecessary single, had a silly waft and simply ran off the field. Diabolical stuff that demonstrated the lack of commitment

TheJediBrah

Of course that's how it is, that's what would appeal to the majority of the Australian cricket fan base (particularly casual fans). It's not an accident. Whether it's the absolute best thing for winning matches and series is obviously debatable but one of the primary goals of Cricket Australia and channel 9 in particularly is to appeal to patriotic bogans.

Typical Aussies aren't going to enjoy watching The Cricket Show where slats and simon o'donnell talk about how good everyone else is and how **** Australia are, even if it's true. That's just the way it is.

Australia needed responsible and disciplined batting to combat a good attack in ideal bowling conditions - Warner chose the easy route and it is not acceptable to fob it off by saying "But that's the way he plays"

Furthermore, Warner averages nearly 50 on roads against pop-gun attacks and neither was the case here

He also generally requires a massive amount of luck to score his runs anyway so dont tell me that he was "unfortunate" to edge a ball that anyone with half a brain would simply have left
Mate any time anyone edges a ball to the keeper they're somewhat "unfortunate". Compare how many play and misses you see in the game to how many edges to the keeper and you'll see it takes a bit of bad luck to swing your bat through the exact line where you don't hit the ball with enough of the bat and don't miss it but the perfect line to edge it to the catchers.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Think it goes back to Lehmann IMO and the mindset he's clearly trying to instil in the batsmen; the approach of the tailenders has been substandard for a while now, and that's always a bad sign.
As I said earlier, when does the pressure start to mount and the finger get pointed at the coach? Hick will almost certainly get the blame and boot instead but Lehmann has been in charge of numerous poor Aussie batting sides now and yet he seems bullet proof.