• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say it's the other way round but like GIMH I think I still bear the scars from Adelaide 10 (!) years ago.
Na, that was against one of the all time great sides who were motivated by the bloody nose we gave them in 2005. They were probably up for that series more than any other in the previous 5 years where as this may be against the number 1 ranked side but they aren't anywhere near as good and only contain a couple of truly great players if that.

The thoughts of that day may remain in the captain though so we will delay any declaration if we do it till we have no chance of a win.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Another one would be Brisbane 2010 where we declared after the 517-1. Got nowhere near bowling Australia out but it was right to have a go.
I remember some at the time who thought we shouldn't have done that, claiming it released momentum and gave Ponting a chance to regain form.

That was a tad off.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England definitely have a chance imo. After they get another 40-50 to consolidate their position tomorrow, I expect them to send someone like Stokes up the order to smash it around a bit.

The only shot India have of a win is to shoot England out within the next 70-80 runs, which doesn't look likely at this stage.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Hameed WAG. Bat normally until lunch I think, then if we're still only a few down, have a dart and try and set India 300 in 45-50 overs.

Stapel

International Regular
First chance I've had to see Hameed bat.

Atherton just commented on how comfortable he looks, like he belongs, and how he felt the same when Cook made his debut.

I felt the same as him about Cook, and from this innings Hameed just looks like a Test player.
I agree. And, apart from whatever we feel, I can't really remember a teenager with 1500 FC runs, having such a good innings on debut in alien circumstances, disappearing from the test circuit as a once promising but apperently overhyped loser.

Incidents or accidents apart, he is here to open for England the next 15 years.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
England definitely have a chance imo. After they get another 40-50 to consolidate their position tomorrow, I expect them to send someone like Stokes up the order to smash it around a bit.

The only shot India have of a win is to shoot England out within the next 70-80 runs, which doesn't look likely at this stage.
Yeah suggested this. If wicket falls tomorrow very very early then keep Stokes otherwise send him sooner and go all in. I can understand from where flibberty is coming from but in these modern days, bowling one day fully won't make much difference to the team and they are playing with 5 bowlers. If India gets any hint of that England not going to declare, they can easily go into full defensive mode rotating fielders and we might see gambhir bowling for some gambhiring purpose

Stace

First Class Debutant
Root vs Kohli aggregate update: Root ahead by 508 runs despite playing 2 innings less.

That cover drive by Hameed against Ashwin when he was on 21 was gorgeous.
Root vs Kohli aggregate update: Root ahead by 468 runs.

Hameed's cover drives >>>>>> Bell's cover drives.

Nice to see Rashwin bowling well, so well that Lohli got himself out rather then face him any longer.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hameed looks good and it has been a wonderful debut so far, but honestly, that squaring up to the outswingers and balls just outside offstump, even from spinners, can be a big weakness. I am not writing him off, but I do feel the 15 years and 8000 runs calls are waaaaay too premature. Lets give him more than one test before pronouncing these verdicts.

And on topic, the pitch has definitely been doing stuff since day 3 but because it is soo very slow, batsmen keep adjusting. Its no wonder why Rashid and now Jadeja seem the most threatening, simply because they get the ball through at a pace that helps it negate the slowness of the surface somewhat. Otherwise, this is one big boring match. And the very reason why preparing good flat tracks that might/might not turn later in the game in India is always a bad idea. When the sun is out, the pitches just keep slowing down and the only way to get a result is if it is actually breaking up, thus aiding more reverse swing as well, with the abrasiveness of the surface playing a part. You cant get that ideal wicket in India where it helps seamers a bit for half a day, then flattens out till the second half of day 4 suddenly makes it turn and bounce, all at pace. Its just not possible.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a good job India played us there rather than Australia - if they'd been rolled over for 60 or 70 I don't suppose they'd ever have got another Test

..... although, seriously, looks like an excellent stadium and whoever is responsible for the pitch deserves the match to go right to the wire

Stace

First Class Debutant
Hameed looks good and it has been a wonderful debut so far, but honestly, that squaring up to the outswingers and balls just outside offstump, even from spinners, can be a big weakness. I am not writing him off, but I do feel the 15 years and 8000 runs calls are waaaaay too premature. Lets give him more than one test before pronouncing these verdicts.

And on topic, the pitch has definitely been doing stuff since day 3 but because it is soo very slow, batsmen keep adjusting. Its no wonder why Rashid and now Jadeja seem the most threatening, simply because they get the ball through at a pace that helps it negate the slowness of the surface somewhat. Otherwise, this is one big boring match. And the very reason why preparing good flat tracks that might/might not turn later in the game in India is always a bad idea. When the sun is out, the pitches just keep slowing down and the only way to get a result is if it is actually breaking up, thus aiding more reverse swing as well, with the abrasiveness of the surface playing a part. You cant get that ideal wicket in India where it helps seamers a bit for half a day, then flattens out till the second half of day 4 suddenly makes it turn and bounce, all at pace. Its just not possible.
Tbf 8000 runs was a joke, the real question should be will he double that?

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Atherton would get 'squared up' by the ball moving away from him - probably more than any top batsman I've seen. But he had the great strength of mind not to follow the ball in that situation.

We shall see with Hameed (and Hameed may well also make a technical adjustment).

Such mental strength is vital for a Test match opening bat - I suspect one or two Aussies would like it :ph34r:

Last edited: