• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England will get 55 overs to bowl India out tops, 45-50 overs more realistic. I can't see England declaring shy of a 300+ lead, which is perfectly fair given the pitch isn't doing much. So best case scenario really is India being set something like 320 in 55 overs. I don't think it's going to be that easy to accelerate though.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England will get 55 overs to bowl India out tops, 45-50 overs more realistic. I can't see England declaring shy of a 300+ lead, which is perfectly fair given the pitch isn't doing much. So best case scenario really is India being set something like 320 in 55 overs. I don't think it's going to be that easy to accelerate though.
Alternative is if the pitch stays totally flat to bat all day knowing there is another test in a few days and just get as many overs into the bowlers as possible. Can't see us giving India any chance with a declaration.

TheJediBrah

Alternative is if the pitch stays totally flat to bat all day knowing there is another test in a few days and just get as many overs into the bowlers as possible. Can't see us giving India any chance with a declaration.
A draw would be a very bad result for England from here. When you win the toss and bat first in the subcontinent you've got to make the most of it.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is what I'd do. 5 Test series, you won't win, play the long game and tire them out, especially this being the first of three back-to-back Tests.

91Jmay

International Coach
Hameed superb, great day. Ball spinning but still nothing really in pitch I wouldn't say. Bat till lunch tomorrow and then have a look. Even if we only land a few body blows to their batsmen. Kohli dismissal absolutely hilarious

Howe_zat

Audio File
That seems excessive. I remember talking like this when we were playing SL in 2011 and rain looked like it was ruining the match. England declared with a session left and bowled them out in 25 overs on a road. **** happens to batting teams. It's a long shot but we should take it as soon as we are safe.

TheJediBrah

What would an Australian know about winning games in Asia?
I've watched other teams do it on tv

well, not really, but I've read professional reports about them doing it

well, not really, but I've heard people talk about it

well, not really, but I'm assuming it's been done before in games not involving Australia that I've obviously never paid any attention to and guessing that's how it's done

Howe_zat

Audio File
That seems excessive. I remember talking like this when we were playing SL in 2011 and rain looked like it was ruining the match. England declared with a session left and bowled them out in 25 overs on a road. **** happens to batting teams. It's a long shot but we should take it as soon as we are safe.
Another one would be Brisbane 2010 where we declared after the 517-1. Got nowhere near bowling Australia out but it was right to have a go.

Howe_zat

Audio File
England are a better chance than India I think. Both sides will play defensively while England bat but - assuming England aren't bowled out before lunch - when it comes to the 4th innings it will all be about the wickets.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
England are a better chance than India I think. Both sides will play defensively while England bat but - assuming England aren't bowled out before lunch - when it comes to the 4th innings it will all be about the wickets.
I'd say it's the other way round but like GIMH I think I still bear the scars from Adelaide 10 (!) years ago.