• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

SeamUp

International Coach
With Maharaj - Durban and Pietermaritzburg have become nightmares for seamers in recent years doemstically and a spinner like Maharaj has really honed his craft. I've seen him turn the ball with bite so if he gets the conditions, I don't think he would let us down in that regard. Obviously his changes of pace with the ball and between balls is supreme and subtlety on where he releases balls is massive for him too.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With Maharaj - Durban and Pietermaritzburg have become nightmares for seamers in recent years doemstically and a spinner like Maharaj has really honed his craft. I've seen him turn the ball with the bite so if he gets the conditions, I don't think he would let us down in that regard. Obviously his changes of pace with the ball and between balls is supreme and subtlety on where he releases balls is massive for him too.
Maharaj is your holding bowler, Shamsi your x-factor.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
So that makes it four test defeats in a row if you add in the Sri-lanka series. And in all honesty most of them have been pretty heavy defeats. Warner stood up, Nevil stood up, but bar those two it wasn't encouraging. Siddle and Lyon didn't look effective either tbh. SA have had their own problems in the not too distant past after losing to India and England but it really does look like they are on a roll right now. Amla and cook done nothing but the others batted so well and put them into a great position. Meanwhile Rabada continues to enhance his reputation with some outstanding bowling. The fact that Steyn was taken away early and they still managed to win by such a margin doesn't bode well for the Aussies methinks.

All in all it was a good little game but Australia are gonna need to go back to the drawing board because confidence must be low as it is, sticking with the status quo surely isn't the answer? I guess Burns will open but I hope they bring in another pacer for Siddle tbh, just to freshen it up a little.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Because we 'have' to have five bowlers, not least because there's (justified) paranoia about one of the quicks breaking down. Being named Marsh seems to help as well.
Well it's not justified because they are going to battle with only 10 players. Madness

Marius

International Debutant
Which do you think is better for the SA balance right now?
Good question.

I think Maharaj hasn't done much wrong and you have to keep him for now.

But our spin cupboard is looking pretty well stocked now actually.

We have Maharaj and Shamsi, and then Piedt and Harmer. And then below them we have some other solid guys - Leie, Linde, even Von Berg at the Titans.

SeamUp

International Coach
Glad to see Australia call-up Ferguson. Also had his trials and tribulations and injuries. Probably deserves it more than the young middle-order brigade like Head, Handscomb, Patterson, Maddinson etc

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly can't say right now.

The opening issue needs to be resolved.

Duminy, Faf, Bavuma need to keep backing it up.

What do you think ?
From a performance point of view, those are the 3 that needs to go into 2... performance for the rest of the series should dictate. If they all perform, then Bavuma opens, possibly? Tough... cant even get Rillee into the team atm!

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
I wouldn't worry yourself about that mate, I give it a week before you get yourself banned the way you're going.
Yeh but even as a guest I'd prefer not to see you in the thread. Penison used England for his career. He doesn't really care about you. He's South African, get over it.