• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Perth is basically SA's home ground now. Drew in 2005, and on course to win for the 3rd successive time. Australia really should consider not playing there against them.
Never lost a test if I'm not mistaken

'Australia should name a few stands after the South African cricket team' - MS Dhoni

Saffers were 4 down in Adelaide at the end of day 4 right?

But Aus don't have an AB and faf, who played two of the greatest innings of the last decade.
You're forgetting another guy's awesome contribution to that Adelaide test...A guy who CW used to call a bit 'soft' and then he bossed it at Adelaide while injured.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Forget it. No point arguing. AB is just a hack compared to players of the brilliance of Ballance, Bell, Trott, Robson, Lyth, Hales, Vince, Compton, Buttler etc.
Yeah that makes sense. Obviously he has no right to criticize a player you like, because he supports another team with worse players in it. Which incidentally, means that no Indian fan can ever criticize a fast bowler.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I have never seen such a awful Australian test side in such a long time. The bowling attack lost its spark without Johnson. Overrated side. Smith can only bat on dead tracks. 2-0 loss awaits for Australia 'if' they tour Bangladesh.
Re: the bowling attack, I guess there'll be a bit more pressure on Lyon after his struggles in this innings (not helped by Smith's use of him imo) but what about Hazlewood? In his last 8 Tests his bowling average is 38.68 and yet the way the Ch 9 comms go on about him you'd think he was this era's Glenn McGrath.

He bowled pretty well this Test admittedly, but he almost seems to have regressed into thinking his job is to being a tight stock bowler with the rise of Starc (especially in Sri Lanka). Needs to do more than he's been doing for a while now.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
A 10-man SA team is destroying the 11-man Australian team at Perth.

This is a new low for Australian cricket - can't remember anything like this before.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
A 10-man SA team is destroying the 11-man Australian team at Perth.

This is a new low for Australian cricket - can't remember anything like this before.

Did you see a bit of the Australia series in Sri Lanka this year?

Last edited:

morgieb

Never lost a test if I'm not mistaken

'Australia should name a few stands after the South African cricket team' - MS Dhoni

You're forgetting another guy's awesome contribution to that Adelaide test...A guy who CW used to call a bit 'soft' and then he bossed it at Adelaide while injured.
Who the **** called Kallis soft?

Bijed

International Regular
Forget it. No point arguing. AB is just a hack compared to players of the brilliance of Ballance, Bell, Trott, Robson, Lyth, Hales, Vince, Compton, Buttler etc.
I know they both fell away badly at the end of their careers, have plenty of legitimate criticisms and aren't as good as de Villiers, but throwing their names in with a load of genuinely/probably not test standard batsmen is doing them a disservice. There's no shame in being *only* as good as Bell or Trott. I'm not sure anyone said de Villiers wasn't a good test batsman anyway?

morgieb

Re: the bowling attack, I guess there'll be a bit more pressure on Lyon after his struggles in this innings (not helped by Smith's use of him imo) but what about Hazlewood? In his last 8 Tests his bowling average is 38.68 and yet the way the Ch 9 comms go on about him you'd think he was this era's Glenn McGrath.

He bowled pretty well this Test admittedly, but he almost seems to have regressed into thinking his job is to being a tight stock bowler with the rise of Starc (especially in Sri Lanka). Needs to do more than he's been doing for a while now.
Meh with Hazlewood I think his figures have belied how he's bowled. He was OK in unfavourable conditions over in Sri Lanka and bowled well in this Test. I do worry about him on flat tracks though, especially given he's not as quick as Starc (or Cummins/Pattinson) and he's a bit less accurate than Siddle.

Lyon is concerning but as you point out Smith's use of him has been pretty poor. Plus in his case it's only one bad Test in Australian conditions (his style isn't conductive to lower wickets IMO). Can see them turning for O'Keefe or (shudders) Swepson or Zampa though.

Still our attack is not the issue. Pretty much every Test we've lost in recent years has come down to some massive collapse; only a few times have we genuinely bowled dross.

morgieb

Just check out the threads on Kallis (probably the comparison ones) from a few years ago. He has been called selfish, soft among other things.
I've heard selfish, but not soft.

Any criticism of Kallis being soft should've been debunked with the Test SeamUp just linked.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
How many tests did De Villiers go before getting a duck, all the while averaging in the mid to high forties?

He has always been a positive on the SA test team AFAIR

listento_me

U19 Captain
Australia are being beaten by a 10 man side, that 11th man being one of the best bowlers around who had to be taken off injured. This is embarrassing. I thought the Aussie test team had fallen off badly when they were getting humiliated by SL but this...this at home...lawd!

Heboric

International Debutant
Is there any website that a person from South Africa can pick up radio commentary (Grandstand) of the cricket that is not geo locked.

Seeing as the piece of garbage SABC havent even bothered.

Spikey

i see you liking posts Jono apologise to me immediately for claiming I support Lyon like I do with Nev and TPC, ****