• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I read a piece the other day suggesting that Leach might be flown out to replace Anderson if Jimmy isn't deemed fit enough to play.
Not exactly like-for-like, of course, but may improve our rotten spin options and we probably have enough seamers.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Of course you expects our ****wit selectors to do anything different?

Their usual approach of we are right and we'll stick to our guns even when the wrong selection.
Who else could they have picked? Bring back Bell for Balance maybe? Any other spinners they could have called upon aswell?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
If jimmy is unable to play, england really need to look forward to giving jake ball chances in these conditions. He got the variations and brain to use

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Who else could they have picked? Bring back Bell for Balance maybe? Any other spinners they could have called upon aswell?
The 2 top performing spinners in county cricket were jack leach and Ollie rayner. They played for the 2 top counties as well last year. But we went for a part timer and an old man.

Vince and ballance shouldn't have been picked at all in the summer it should have been Borthwick. The latter was averaging 80 and the others 20 and 30. Scotts form went off a cliff mind to be fair and then Keaton Jennings smashed it(who also should be out there).

Bell and Leach need flown out. But they are stubborn bastards.

Bijed

International Regular
Ding dong in India with his reputation?

Getting a Fast Show flashback here. No thanks.
Tbf he'd stil be an upgrade on Ballance right now. Not that that should get him picked as there are of course other options who would probably be far better than either of them.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The 2nd innings where he got the king pair was amazing. You just knew, as soon as he took strike he was getting out.

Bijed

International Regular
Wait, have England taken the exact same squad?
Unless I've missed something and different squads have been announced, does this equate to Morgan/Hales being dropped from the ODI/T20 sides? Or was it always the case that the squads weren't going to change - i.e. anyone who didn't want to go to Bangladesh was also ruling themselves out of the India tour?

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Unless I've missed something and different squads have been announced, does this equate to Morgan/Hales being dropped from the ODI/T20 sides? Or was it always the case that the squads weren't going to change - i.e. anyone who didn't want to go to Bangladesh was also ruling themselves out of the India tour?
ODI series isn't until January.

FBU

International Debutant
Hales has been dropped from the test squad and afaik the odi squad hasn't been announced yet, but Morgan is expected to be back as captain and Hales will be named.

Good news on the Jimmy front though.........James Anderson set to join up with England squad | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Expected to be right for the second test........hope they're not rushing him back though.
I doubt it. Under Flower players played through injury, getting injections and taking pills. Bayliss/Farbrace are the opposite, any little niggle and they don't play. So if you are a bowler best not to say anything about niggles. Anderson hadn't that many known injuries over the years until Bayliss took over. Maybe Anderson is just getting old or maybe he is bowling less, minus the ODIs, and needs to bowl more.