• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If the ball is shown to be just clipping the side of the stump then there's presumably a chance of a little under 50% that it would have missed completely (i.e. if it had gone any further to the right in this case).
We don`t know what the error of margin is on the ball tracking... is it 1mm at impact increasing to 10mm after 3m? The umpires call has nothing to do with the science or accuracy of the system but an arbitrary decision decided by a panel of non-experts that want to give umpires a margin of error. Maybe guided by experts.

As far as I`m aware they`ve just finished a whole series of independent tests, but this information has never been released for scrutiny by the public.

Spark

Global Moderator
I would actually really like to know the actual margin of error tbh. Seems important info to be released to the public.

Spark

Global Moderator
true, but he shouldn't be voicing this out in public like this. Seems to come out as an employee who just whines about the problems but has no solution to it.
This isn't fair though. He has a solution to it which he is implementing admirable: score runs against the new ball and make life as easy for them as he realistically can.

StephenZA

I would actually really like to know the actual margin of error tbh. Seems important info to be released to the public.
Most definitely... I would love to see that report fully released. I assume it is not because of some proprietary information.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
We don`t know what the error of margin is on the ball tracking... is it 1mm at impact increasing to 10mm after 3m? The umpires call has nothing to do with the science or accuracy of the system but an arbitrary decision decided by a panel of non-experts that want to give umpires a margin of error. Maybe guided by experts.

As far as I`m aware they`ve just finished a whole series of independent tests, but this information has never been released for scrutiny by the public.
We don't know the figures, though what I said is still conceptually right. I don't think DRS was really the main issue here anyway as its always going to stay with on-field call if any of the ball is projected to hit the stumps. More that it probably shouldn't have been given on-field in the first place.

I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been. Maybe they're concerned about it being misconstrued.

Anyway, nice shot from Duminy. As much up-and-coming potential in the young man as Shaun Marsh imo.

StephenZA

Beautiful...... 50 for JP.

Interesting he averages 50+ batting at 4 (6 innings, 4 vs NZ and 2 vs Aus)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
350+ would be handy. SA surely will find it harder the 2nd time around with 3 bowlers.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Amateur hour with that mothers meeting between
Smith & Warner. Miss the tactics and experience of Clarke, Haddin & Johnson.

Last edited:

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Commentators should talk about how Duminy didn't go on to be the player they hoped after 2008. They haven't mentioned it yet.

Last edited: