• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is a depressing squad we have put out. Best XI from the choices available:

G Gambhir
M Vijay
C Pujara
V Kohli
A Rahane
R Ashwin
W Saha
R Jadeja
A Mishra
M Shami
I Sharma

Actually not that bad but feels weird somehow.

Its actually the best test side we can get right now. Its just that the reserves happen to be Karun Nair, Umesh Yadav, Jayant Yadav and Hardik Pandya.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure between Ishant and Umesh tbh. Ishant more likely to screw up, so you would want him from the pov of getting Bhuvi back in asap.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Do India desperately need a seam bowling all rounder with Ashwin in the Team? I don't get Pandya's selection at all. Ashwin is certainly going to bat at 6/7 and Saha and Jadeja at 8 & 9 is more than useful.

Surely you don't pick him and bat him above these three? And you can't pick him and bat him at 10 cos you would be better off with a proper seamer. At least Binny being selected was understandable as they hadn't fully got behind Ashwin the batsman by then.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do India desperately need a seam bowling all rounder with Ashwin in the Team? I don't get Pandya's selection at all. Ashwin is certainly going to bat at 6/7 and Saha and Jadeja at 8 & 9 is more than useful.

Surely you don't pick him and bat him above these three? And you can't pick him and bat him at 10 cos you would be better off with a proper seamer. At least Binny being selected was understandable as they hadn't fully got behind Ashwin the batsman by then.
I think it's more about getting a fast bowling all rounder settled in the team before the overseas season begins. Ashwin + fast bowling AR would be hax for us overseas in theory.

Problem is, I don't think hardik is that good.

Bahseph

International Debutant
I think it's more about getting a fast bowling all rounder settled in the team before the overseas season begins. Ashwin + fast bowling AR would be hax for us overseas in theory.

I dont know much about Indian FC cricket so this may sound like a stupid question to proper Indian fans, but how far off is Kumar in terms of being passed as a bowling all rounder for this team? Is his batting that far below Binny and Pandya?

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Surely you'd want Ashwin to improve his batting so he could bat 6 overseas; you only need 4 bowlers at home so you could just stack the batting by sticking Ashwin at 7 or 8. Having Ashwin at 6 overseas allows you the luxury of 5 bowlers.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I think the WI tests showed us that when India want to play 5 bowlers they will bat Ashwin at 6, and guys like Jadeja, Bhuvi and Mishra will be batting at 8/9, which means enough batting cover + 5 bowlers.

I think Hardik is just there for the work experince. Bat and bowl in the nets under India's coaching staff, come on as a sub fielder now and then, carry the drinks, get a taste of what Test are like. He is clearly someone they are grooming for the long term, and does have quite a bit going for him. I'd be surprised if he actually played.

Daemon

Surely you'd want Ashwin to improve his batting so he could bat 6 overseas; you only need 4 bowlers at home so you could just stack the batting by sticking Ashwin at 7 or 8. Having Ashwin at 6 overseas allows you the luxury of 5 bowlers.
Yeah if Ashwin and Saha keep showing improvement like they've been doing, this would be ideal. If we then pick both Bhuvi and Jadeja that's even more batting depth.

I really fail to see this need for an AR when we've got quite a few serviceable bowling ARs already.

Burgey

Its actually the best test side we can get right now. Its just that the reserves happen to be Karun Nair, Umesh Yadav, Jayant Yadav and Hardik Pandya.
Can't believe any true cricket fan could want their team to leave out Nostrils.

Daemon

ECB's social media staff seem to have moved on from the Ali love to Hameed now.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I've noticed this. I don't quite get why they're featuring heavily unless they're trying to pander to Indian fans and feel he's a better look than Moeen.

Daemon

Nah Moeen was already fan favourite when they were hyping him.

Hameed's just a new goofy looking talented kid who they rate highly. Don't think there's any race angle to this.

cnerd123

likes this
Nah Moeen was already fan favourite when they were hyping him.

Hameed's just a new goofy looking talented kid who they rate highly. Don't think there's any race angle to this.
Might be, but why hasn't there been more Duckett love?