• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll venture an opinion that SA haven't properly selected an attack to deal with Australia's left handers. Steyn isn't quite as good against left handers because of his reliance on his outswinger, so when SA toured England in 2012 they had Morkel opening the bowling to Strauss, which worked. Australia have 3 lefties in the top three with Burns out. Since SA also picked a SLA bowler over the offspinner and chinaman bowler they've left themselves short of options if Australia get past the new ball 0 or 1 down.
Good point, Morkel loves bowling to lefties and Steyn isn't as good against them.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Good point, Morkel loves bowling to lefties and Steyn isn't as good against them.
I dunno if I'd bring in Morkel (probably would tbf) but since they're leaving him out for a spinner it should definitely have been someone to turn the ball away from Khawaja/Marsh IMO. That way they can cover more Morkel's job as they're unlikely to keep it tight at Perth.

Obvs it might be that Maharaj is amazing and this is all bollocks, I dunno

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dunno if I'd bring in Morkel (probably would tbf) but since they're leaving him out for a spinner it should definitely have been someone to turn the ball away from Khawaja/Marsh IMO. That way they can cover more Morkel's job as they're unlikely to keep it tight at Perth.

Obvs it might be that Maharaj is amazing and this is all bollocks, I dunno
I think his batting got Maharaj his spot in front of Shamsi... better control, and possibly Maharaj may use the bounce better.

mr_mister

what about that Piedt bloke everyone was raving about the other day

also when will Clarke be grilled on his book lol

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This mini-session, needless to say is gonna be crucial. If South Africa can nab Warner or Smith they'd be fairly happy. If they can nab both they're on top. On the flipside Australia could be 1/60-70 and starting to cruise.

SeamUp

International Coach
It would be a win-win for South Africa and deKock if Proteas manage to find a keeper who could bat a bit so that deKock could move up the order to bat at 5 or 6.

It wouldn't do justice to his talent if he bats at 7 and spends half the time with the tail.
I think moving forward a team will be shaped around De Kock and the gloves and it may mean he bats 6 with the gloves.

The top-order batting talent is there with Elgar, Rossouw, De Bruyn, Markram to support Amla, Faf, AB & with the emergence of guys like Smith, Mulder, Phehlukwayo (possibly Galiem) the number 7 all-rounder role could come into the equation a bit down the line.

StephenZA

I think moving forward a team will be shaped around De Kock and the gloves and it may mean he bats 6 with the gloves.

The top-order batting talent is there with Elgar, Rossouw, De Bruyn, Markram to support Amla, Faf, AB & with the emergence of guys like Smith, Mulder, Phehlukwayo (possibly Galiem) the number 7 all-rounder role could come into the equation a bit down the line.
do you think de Bruyn could open? and as an opener Makram must be on a fast track to national selection on current form?

SeamUp

International Coach
I'll venture an opinion that SA haven't properly selected an attack to deal with Australia's left handers. Steyn isn't quite as good against left handers because of his reliance on his outswinger, so when SA toured England in 2012 they had Morkel opening the bowling to Strauss, which worked. Australia have 3 lefties in the top three with Burns out. Since SA also picked a SLA bowler over the offspinner and chinaman bowler they've left themselves short of options if Australia get past the new ball 0 or 1 down.
Philander is very good v Left-handers & I think the re-newed bowling Duminy may be an option to the left-handers if one of the top 3 get in.

Gnske

Is Mulder more a batsman or bowler? Quietly hyped about him.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
This mini-session, needless to say is gonna be crucial. If South Africa can nab Warner or Smith they'd be fairly happy. If they can nab both they're on top. On the flipside Australia could be 1/60-70 and starting to cruise.
Yep, this will be a big session, Aus could easily have 120 on the board by stumps.

StephenZA

5-81 to 242 all out.....Amla for me is all the difference nowadays to getting to that elusive 400 mark.

SeamUp

International Coach
do you think de Bruyn could open? and as an opener Makram must be on a fast track to national selection on current form?
Personally I think Rossouw and De Bruyn have more chance of doing a Herschelle Gibbs and moved to open with their stroke-play and positive attitude. I think that where van Zyl failed a bit in that he is more old-fashioned and his technique probably less suited to opening even though been a number 3 for so long.

I'm not saying Rossouw and de Bruyn have to open but I do think it has a more realisitc chance of happening. They both would suit Elgar but so would Markram mind.

SeamUp

International Coach
Is Mulder more a batsman or bowler? Quietly hyped about him.
If you ask him batsman. But his bowling has shone a bit more in his first 4 FC games. His bowling has improved over the last 2 years because when I first heard about him he was a number 3 who bowled sort of first or second change. The hype is massive. QDK and KG Rabada massive.

StephenZA

Personally I think Rossouw and De Bruyn have more chance of doing a Herschelle Gibbs and moved to open with their stroke-play and positive attitude. I think that where van Zyl failed a bit in that he is more old-fashioned and his technique probably less suited to opening even though been a number 3 for so long.

I'm not saying Rossouw and de Bruyn have to open but I do think it has a more realisitc chance of happening. They both would suit Elgar but so would Markram mind.
I would go for de Bruyn at this stage. I like a left right opening combination..