• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection 2016/2017

Shady Slim

International Coach
don't want to let cummins near the squad until he has a full shield season

the interview with pattinson during a matador game impressed me because he said he wants to really get some shield cricket down before thinking of a test return

SeamUp

International Coach
Pat Howard says Australia to juggle players before busy summer

The Australian one-day inter*national squad is on its way home from South Africa, leaving behind in its wake a five-nil whitewash and facing a summer that includes series against four visiting sides with serious question marks over who deserves a Test place.

High performance manager Pat Howard yesterday defended the team’s form in South Africa and the player management schedule, saying there were already plans to rest Steve Smith, David Warner and a number of the bowlers from the domestic Matador Cup series.

The side lost on Wednesday night to South Africa despite a brilliant 173 by Warner — his *second century in a week. The opener’s 386 runs at an average of 77.2 broke a 25-year record for the highest total by an Australian in a five-match series and was the 10th highest of overall.

“Smith and Warner won’t play straight away. They’ve got a couple of niggles to get over,” Howard said. “Mitch Marsh is only going to play as a batsman first game.

“People very quickly forget how long the winter is,” he said. “Guys left Australia in January, went to New Zealand for one-dayers, (then the) World T20, 30 players go to the IPL from Aust*ralian cricket, then we went to the West Indies and then Sri Lanka and then South Africa.”

Howard said because the fixture list is so crowded it was hard to get a pre-season for the players, but a number of bowlers are *making their way back to action.

Peter Siddle made his comeback to one-day cricket in the Matador Cup yesterday, Josh *Hazlewood will start bowling next week and Mitchell Starc is bowling after suffering a serious leg injury in a training accident. Pat Cummins is bowling in the one-day games and may play some Sheffield Shield games but will not be fit for the six Test matches (three against South *Africa and three against Pakistan) in the Australian summer.

With so many bowlers unavailable, the one-day side included an inexperienced attack. Chris Tremain, Scott Boland, Joe Mennie, Dan Worrall and John Hastings were all used with *limited success.

“I don’t want to judge people at the start (of their careers),” Howard said. “Give people time. There is that test about how people rise to the occasion — we challenge players when they come into the international squad. We’ll see what it’s like, they’ll go back into domestic cricket and got to dominate that.

“I want to see how those players take that opportunity and grow from it because if you want to be No 1 in all three forms you need a lot of depth.”

Former captain Mark Taylor believes the Test side is unsettled, with only five players demanding a place.

“I’ll tell you the people who pick themselves at the moment: Warner, Smith, (Peter) Nevill, Starc, Hazlewood and I think everyone else at this stage will be talked about,” Taylor told *cricket.com.au

Chairman of selectors Rod Marsh has indicated he will not look to renew his contract when it expires in June next year and relayed that information to Cricket Australia three months ago.

Howard said he had not begun to look for a replacement and praised Marsh who has, like anyone who does the job, not been *immune to criticism.

“I think Rod has done a very critical job,” he said. “He took a team to No 1 in the world six months after losing a Test team. He should be very proud of the work he’s done.

“(He’s) got a fantastic relationship with all the players he deals with. A huge amount of respect, he’s Rod Marsh..”

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So Burns and Khawaja have both made runs against Starc and Hazelwood, and SMarsh has also made runs for WA.

Interesting selection to make with the top 5/6. Dont think they can all fit in unless Voges is dropped or MMarsh is dropped.

burr

State Vice-Captain
You have to drop MMarsh. Form has to matter for something otherwise, what's the point.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You have to hand it to our selectors/high performance manager

Every member of arguably the first choice attack (Starc/Siddle/Haze) is underdone due to lack of cricket so we need another bowling option but MMarsh's form is in the toilet and Maxwell was left out of the shield so the Vics could play Arun (lol)

Never thought that I'd say this but if fit, they probably should pick Stoinis

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They should be picking Dougeh. It he will never play again.

Darsh is 34 now. If he doesn't get picked and cement his spot this year you'd have to think that's it for him, despite his obvious potential as an up and coming player.

the big bambino

International Captain
I went for Bolly if Starc missed out but it looks he'll be ok now. Changing my mind on Siddle now and would pick him over Jackson Bird. Siddle's pace looked ok in the matador and I think Daniel Hughes would agree. Also changing my mind on M Marsh with our pace bowlers under done. We'll need his overs and every other alternative is either not playing or aren't that much better batsmen anyway.

S Marsh is the incumbent but different conditions (plus I'm not a fan) means I'm picking:

Burns
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
M Marsh
Nevill
Starc
Haze
Siddle
Lyon

Top_Cat

If the dismissals are anything to go by, I'd say Bird's also picked up a yard or two. Got a lot of guys fencing at him right now which could be real handy in Perth.

the big bambino

International Captain
You know I'm still liking Callum Ferguson. A recent ton on top of his good form over the last 2 or so years. He's also batting at three which is fair reward for form and confidence.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I reckon there's a chance that Ferguson takes the #5 spot whenever Voges calls it a day.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So, looks like they've gone Mennie over Bird. FMD.

Burns left out too.

Warner
Marsh
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Marsh
Nevill
Starc
Siddle
Hazlewood
Lyon

Mennie

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Rod Marsh: "Bird came very close. What cost him a place was his batting. We've got to get runs at the bottom of the order as well."

And this is why I stopped following cricket.

Cricket Australia are so obsessed with making money through the Big Bash, and the International side will continue to suffer as a result.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
"He was the highest wicket-taker in the Sheffield Shield last season and is very handy with the bat."-Rod Marsh

Keeping in mind that Mennie took 51 from 11 matches, while Bird took 40 from 8, at a better average, and only missed those two Shield games because he was in New Zealand playing Test cricket. Include his Test wickets, and he has 48 from 10, and still shades Mennie on bowling average.

Then throw in that this is Mennie's breakthrough season, while Bird has been taking 30+ at <20 in the Shield every season he's been fit, and it gets even more inexplicable.

TheJediBrah

Rod Marsh: "Bird came very close. What cost him a place was his batting. We've got to get runs at the bottom of the order as well."

And this is why I stopped following cricket.

Cricket Australia are so obsessed with making money through the Big Bash, and the International side will continue to suffer as a result.
wtf does the Big Bash have to do with it?