• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Alastair Cook go on to surpass Tendulkar's test run tally?

Will Cook surpass Tendulkar's test run tally?

• Yes, he's still a real chance

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Unlikely, but a slim outside chance

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • No chance at all now

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Basphemy to even pose such a question

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I do hope you chaps remember this logic when KW ends up just short of 11,000 test runs at an average of 63 due to him only managing to play 110 tests in his 16 year career due to NZ's piss-poor test schedule.
It won't ever be a realistic goal for Williamson considering the amount of tests we play compared to the big three.
Nah, this is a typical kiwaahhh. The "NZ play fewer tests than the big 3" is a myth. India play fewer tests than England do too. Without checking the actual number, I'm pretty sure that in the last 4-5 years, NZ have played just as many tests as India have, or even if it's fewer the difference is marginal.

TheJediBrah

Nah, this is a typical kiwaahhh. The "NZ play fewer tests than the big 3" is a myth. India play fewer tests than England do too. Without checking the actual number, I'm pretty sure that in the last 4-5 years, NZ have played just as many tests as India have, or even if it's fewer the difference is marginal.

New Zealand do play significantly fewer Tests than England/India/Australia IIRC

edit: Nope I'm wrong. If I used statsguru correctly then it seems in the last 5 years India have played 47 and NZ have played 50. Definitely a surprise to me.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
We've played a decent amount of tests recently but if you're talking about over 15 year careers.... yeah, good luck with that.

Flem274*

123/5
stop flogging a dead meme and go look at the FTP. after this burst NZ have a huge drop off in tests scheduled.

kane wouldn't get there regardless because he didn't dayboo at 16 for a nation that only cares about batting or be born into a country that plays the ashes, thus giving him the chance to ski downhill against a bunch of terrible tourists every 6 months, but he's a decent batsman so he'll probably have an ok career.

TheJediBrah

Over the last 15 years it's India: 158 tests, NZ: 128 tests.

And I have a feeling the upcoming FTP is heavily weighted for India Tests. Could be the last 5 years were an usually heavy period for NZ cricket.

OverratedSanity

We've played a decent amount of tests recently but if you're talking about over 15 year careers.... yeah, good luck with that.
stop flogging a dead meme and go look at the FTP. after this burst NZ have a huge drop off in tests scheduled.
Maybe, but on the evidence of the last 5-6 years, I wouldn't be that sure. The IPL eats into a large chunk of the international schedule, which obviously reduces the amount of tests India schedule and brings them closer to NZ in terms of tests played. It doesn't affect Australia and England because: 1) England players don't even play in the IPL and 2 ) They schedule 5-test Ashes every couple of years anyway.

I don't think India will play a massive amount of tests more than NZ over the next decade. It'll probably be more, but not enough to actually be a talking point.

TheJediBrah

So many of New Zealand's Tests will be events that no one cares about though, against bad opposition no one cares about in places in the world no one cares about

TheJediBrah

the australian cricket team probably could give them more of a challenge than the wallabies tbf
Well considering the Wallabies are the best 15 players in the country (out of the 33 blokes in the country who know what Rugby Union is) they do alright

Do they play league in NZ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What I like is that there is no certainty yet that Cook will go on to break the record. 6000 runs to go still and that's a lot of runs to get.

Flem274*

123/5
Well considering the Wallabies are the best 15 players in the country (out of the 33 blokes in the country who know what Rugby Union is) they do alright

Do they play league in NZ?
yeah, auckland are no good at it but the national team keeps beating yours which is surprising since only a few suburbs in auckland play league

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Maybe, but on the evidence of the last 5-6 years, I wouldn't be that sure. The IPL eats into a large chunk of the international schedule, which obviously reduces the amount of tests India schedule and brings them closer to NZ in terms of tests played. It doesn't affect Australia and England because: 1) England players don't even play in the IPL and 2 ) They schedule 5-test Ashes every couple of years anyway.

I don't think India will play a massive amount of tests more than NZ over the next decade. It'll probably be more, but not enough to actually be a talking point.
India are scheduled to play a huge amount of Tests over the next few years.

TheJediBrah

yeah, auckland are no good at it but the national team keeps beating yours which is surprising since only a few suburbs in auckland play league
I'm surprised the Australian team is even competitive at all at the country's 13th most popular football code

listento_me

U19 Captain
I dunno if I've posted here but no...no he won't. That's a lot of runs, a lot of big scores and Cook isn't going to do that. He just isn't as vast an accumulator of runs at a high enough average per match to do so. Tendulkar, Lara and Ponting were rare. We won't see those types of batsmen across tests and ODIs ever again.

edit: just having a look and he is still 1000+ runs away from Lara and then another 2000 or so away from Ponting and then he will still have to score near enough 1500-2000 runs just to match Tendulkar. That's 4000+ tests run, all having to come in his 30s (he isn't a spring chicken and not everyones Misbah or Khan). All the while he'll have to up his average and conversion to centuries.

I honestly don't expect Cook to be still playing 4 years down the line. Cut off of age 35 lets say, which at his rate, will mean around 50 tests. That is IF he stays fit for every game and doesn't suffer drops in form and/or going through a stage of scoring 20-30s. It happens to a lot of batsmen in their 30s. It will happen to Cook.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
I think Cook has gone through his lull. I don't see why he can't have another purple patch, like Tendulkar did. On average, I'd expect him to go along as he has gone along. He seems to score 79odd per test which is what Tendulkar scored. So in 66 tests he should score enough runs and be thereabouts with the record, which, at 12odd per year, means 5.5 more years. Cook should set his sights on retiring in 2022 with all of India sucking it. Is that year a home Ashes series?

indiaholic

International Captain
Whether or not you rate longevity depends on what you are evaluating IMO.

If I am picking a strongest possible ATGXI kinda thing, I'm picking players on how good they were at their peak, and I'd probably have some sort of minimum requirement for how long that peak should have lasted for. Longevity isn't a factor beyond that minimum requirement.

But If I am evaluating the overall career of a player, longevity definitely carries a lot more weight.
Why isn't longevity a factor after the minimum requirement?