• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies vs Pakistan in UAE 2016

Howe_zat

Audio File
I can't think of a better example of a nightwatchman not doing the job

Really does seem like a strategy that should be shelved.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I can't think of a better example of a nightwatchman not doing the job

Really does seem like a strategy that should be shelved.
I seem to remember something weird happening with England once. Nightwatchman turned down a single and the batsman ended up being dismissed next ball or something.

Something tells me it was Collingwood that was affected, can't remember the year or opposition though.

Niall

International Coach
I seem to remember something weird happening with England once. Nightwatchman turned down a single and the batsman ended up being dismissed next ball or something.

Something tells me it was Collingwood that was affected, can't remember the year or opposition though.
Twas Collingwood the man who perished in the third test of the 2010 Ashes series down under, Anderson the guilty party.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Misbah still needs to get used to having 5 bowlers in the team. Felt he underused Nawaz in the 1st test and once again Nawaz just bowled their first over.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Rameez Raja commentary shocker:
'Jason Holder should bat at 4 because he can hit the ball high, give it a good thump.'

Why hasn't this commentator been thrown away yet?

Bahseph

International Debutant
Blackwood now over 1000 Test runs. Just 5000 more to go Howe.
Blackwood really needs to work on his defensive game. He plays with such hard hands. It makes it easier for him to get gobbled up with bat pads and edges to slip.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a side that got bowled out for 123 in the second test just one week ago. They themselves brought WI into the game, and had to survive a scare on Day 5 to win the game. They got a hiding from their coach and captain. How do you think the team is going to bat in the second innings a week later?

It's like there is no real understanding of context, narrative, circumstances, no real attempt to understand what the team might be thinking and what their approach would be based on that.

And if Rameez wasn't bad enough, now Waqar joined the bandwagon and talking about 'lack of aggression' and this is when I realized something. The test team played exactly the same way under Waqar and he took great pride in that and defended the team when people called them 'defensive or lacking intent'. So what I've realized is that these commentators are told to keep talking, and there are a lot of times in the course of a test match when you don't necessarily have something to say. If Azhar and Sami are just grinding down the opposition and leaving a lot of deliveries, and the pitch is not doing much and the WI bowlers look tired and out of ideas, you don't have something to say..so you talk the same crap over and over again - positive intent, aggression, defensive/negative strategy.

Now I understand what the great Benaud meant when he said that you don't always have to talk as a commentator. I guess the broadcasters today need to learn this. They are the ones forcing these commentators to keep speaking and when they can't come up with something, they have to resort to this. Surely Waqar doesn't believe the **** he is saying because he was with this team in the exact same situation last year.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
To be honest, they could probably have batted quicker in the last hour but on the whole it makes no difference what so ever. Just set themselves up to a dominant win.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
To be honest, they could probably have batted quicker in the last hour but on the whole it makes no difference what so ever. Just set themselves up to a dominant win.
Don't disagree with that. All I am saying is if I were 123 all out in the second innings a week ago that almost cost me the game, I would bat very cautiously a week later in the same situation.