• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I expect Duminy's half century here with Rillee out for single figures seals his place for the first test.
Seems pretty much guaranteed now....

I`m starting to think that a big difference between the 2 sides may be QDK at 7 for SA.

is this CA XI any good?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I expect Duminy's half century here with Rillee out for single figures seals his place for the first test.
With Rossouw at 3 I think South Africa were looking at him as an opener alternative. There was some talk Rossouw would take Elgar’s place and open. Duminy will play as presumably they are going in with four quicks at Perth with Duminy being the spin option.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Seems pretty much guaranteed now....

I`m starting to think that a big difference between the 2 sides may be QDK at 7 for SA.

is this CA XI any good?
Some of the guys might be in years to come but isn't everyone under the age of 22 with little to no FC experience?

Stefan9

International Debutant
Good to see QDK getting a hundred , some runs for amla and duminy as well. Openers didn't get much as did faf and bavuma.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really? Wow I had no idea about that. Genuinely thought it was Steyn.
It is Steyn imo. Both have very similar numbers though Steyn's are slightly better. Good series in India, SL and the UAE for both of them. Steyn was unfortunate to play one series on probably the flattest UAE pitches ever during that period though.

They've both been excellent in Asia.

Bahseph

International Debutant
It is Steyn imo. Both have very similar numbers though Steyn's are slightly better. Good series in India, SL and the UAE for both of them. Steyn was unfortunate to play one series on probably the flattest UAE pitches ever during that period though.

That was a dull series. I think it finished 0-0. I distinctly remember Paul Harris and Johan Botha bowling in tandem at one stage. Good times haha.

Just a quick word about Faf, I really hope he doesn't continue his current pacing of his innings in Australia. I know he wanted the Kallis role, but Kallis always put away half volleys. Faf defends almost everything for long periods of time. It really causes stagnation.

Stefan9

International Debutant

Only in terms of average in terms of strike rate Steyn is miles ahead. 46.5 compared to anderson's 58. Steyn is still ahead by 1 wicket even though he has played one game less and played on the flattest UAE pitches.

91Jmay

International Coach
Anderson played on extremely flat pitches in the UAE as well. First test in particular was extraordinary.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Only in terms of average in terms of strike rate Steyn is miles ahead. 46.5 compared to anderson's 58. Steyn is still ahead by 1 wicket even though he has played one game less and played on the flattest UAE pitches.
It sure was nice of those UAE groundsmen to roll out greentops for Jimmeh when he rolled round.

The flat pitch argument doesn't wash, Steyn was just rubbish that series.

smash84

The Tiger King
It sure was nice of those UAE groundsmen to roll out greentops for Jimmeh when he rolled round.

No. You didn't watch that series because you have no idea what you're talking about. When SA toured the UAE did have some of its flattest tracks in the last 5 years. They weren't even conducive to spin IIRC

Last edited:

morgieb

Plus the two England series the wickets there actually were more bowler-friendly than usual IIRC. Remember how you lost the 2012 series?

Daemon

Why do we need to go to the other extreme and talk about greentops?

I'm really not sure how you can deny that the two pitches Steyn played on were much harder to bowl on.

morgieb

1st Test: England v Pakistan at Abu Dhabi, Oct 13-17, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

This was one of the flattest pitches i've ever seen. Idea that this was much easier to bowl than what Steyn faced is absolutely ridiculous.
Well done on finding the one road out of the six Tests Anderson's played in the UAE.

2nd Test: England v Pakistan at Dubai (DSC), Oct 22-26, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

3rd Test: England v Pakistan at Sharjah, Nov 1-5, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

These two Tests do not look all that flat to me, especially the Third Test. And that's not even talking about that 2012 series. I suppose in 2013 they didn't look all that flat either, but Steyn's average in that series is still pretty good.

Look on topic they've no doubt been very impressive in Asia. Just Steyn's been better.