• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

Marius

International Debutant
Sure.. if you take out all his best performances to fit your theory.

Look, he's not going to be devastating and take 5-ers at a SR of 40 if it isn't a seaming SA pitch. But he's capable of turning in 2/60 off 20 overs type figures which is a perfectly adequate job in such conditions. Can't be arsed looking it up but I'm sure he's done that on several occasions.
I had a look - in his last ten Test matches he's taken 18 sticks at 30.

This includes three Test matches which were ruined by rain.

His figures certainly don't blow you away, but this is exactly you want from your third seamer, with Rabada and Steyn bowling thunderbolts from the other end.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Oh yes, he missed the Test where the pitch looked unsuited didn't he, that damn unfortunately timed "injury".
Yes, he must have been faking an injury to get out of playing in that test instead of being genuinely injured. Not like he hasn't had plenty of injury problems since then. He should take lessons in never missing a test in unfavorable conditions from Jimmy Anderson. Never misses those difficult early may tests against unbeatable Sri Lankan batsmen at home and saves his niggles and missed tests for the easier downhill skiing tours of South Africa and the Subcontinent.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh yes, he missed the Test where the pitch looked unsuited didn't he, that damn unfortunately timed "injury".
Since I`m tired of this bullshit and I will say this one last time....
All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
Since Philander started playing Tests he has played in 34 of SA 44 tests.. he missed 6 of those test last year. 3 against India, in India, and 3 against England in South Africa. Up till then he played in 32 of 36 tests (not including the last 2 against NZ this year)... so until 2015, when he was injured, this stupid thing that he only missed test when the wickets was flat, was an utter load of bollocks. And before anybody points out he missed 3 tests in India 2015, note that in the first test of that series he played in he had an avg of 20 and was the best seamer on display in the match.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You keep bringing this up over and over again and I am surprised no one has called you out on this so far. Unless you have evidence, STFU

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sure.. if you take out all his best performances to fit your theory.

Look, he's not going to be devastating and take 5-ers at a SR of 40 if it isn't a seaming SA pitch. But he's capable of turning in 2/60 off 20 overs type figures which is a perfectly adequate job in such conditions. Can't be arsed looking it up but I'm sure he's done that on several occasions.
The thing is that is his last 14 games and spans almost 3 years (with an average of just under 40), so I would say it's a quite valid reason to consider other bowlers as being ahead of him in the pecking order as that is not an insignificant period of time...

akilana

International 12th Man
You keep bringing this up over and over again and I am surprised no one has called you out on this so far. Unless you have evidence, STFU
imagine the **** he would be getting if he ran away from the tour when the going got tougher like Swann did. Or imagine if Swann wasn't English

Spark

Global Moderator
Why on earth is there anti-English trolling in a tour thread about Australia and South Africa?

akilana

International 12th Man
The thing is that is his last 14 games and spans almost 3 years (with an average of just under 40), so I would say it's a quite valid reason to consider other bowlers as being ahead of him in the pecking order as that is not an insignificant period of time...
Agree with this.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
because marc posted

apparently having a random go at players from the same country as him is taking the high ground
This is not new or exclusive to this thread though. People do this all the time here - when they don't like someone's post, they have a go at a player from the team they think the person supports.

But maybe it's only been noticed now because it's England :p

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, he must have been faking an injury to get out of playing in that test instead of being genuinely injured. Not like he hasn't had plenty of injury problems since then. He should take lessons in never missing a test in unfavorable conditions from Jimmy Anderson. Never misses those difficult early may tests against unbeatable Sri Lankan batsmen at home and saves his niggles and missed tests for the easier downhill skiing tours of South Africa and the Subcontinent.
Tec15 with his first ever decent point.