• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phillip Hughes Inquest

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tricky question - it has a skewed Australian perspective, plenty of historical inaccuracies (admittedly in the main relatively minor) and the actor who plays Jardine the child has an Australian accent which always made me laugh, and the only decent bowling action belongs to the actor who played Wally Hammond

But despite all that there is a huge amount of television out there that is much, much worse so if you haven't seen it give it a watch - I think the whole series is on youtube isn't it?

I've started watching the series on youtube, I must say the early 20th century British manner of speaking is quite infectious old chap

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I have no doubt that the players sledged the **** out of Hughes, so I don't blame the family for being pissed off about the denials. I wouldn't go as far to say that Dougy said what he was accused of, but I sure as hell wouldn't be surprised knowing what I know about fast bowlers and what I've heard about him as a person. If I had a dollar for every time a fast bowler told me he was gonna kill me I'd have a much better looking savings account, that's for sure. In regards to the short pitched bowling going too far, that's where I think it gets to a stretch and, whilst I sympathise with the family, think it's a load of revisionist bull****.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
So bloody sad, this whole scenario. The family clearly have a high amount of residual anger that goes past the normal stages of grief, and feel there is a culpability that lies with a lot of people on that day. Plus the media's part in this whole thing has made it even more awful. It's just been horrible to watch from afar.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I have no doubt that the players sledged the **** out of Hughes, so I don't blame the family for being pissed off about the denials. I wouldn't go as far to say that Dougy said what he was accused of, but I sure as hell wouldn't be surprised knowing what I know about fast bowlers and what I've heard about him as a person. If I had a dollar for every time a fast bowler told me he was gonna kill me I'd have a much better looking savings account, that's for sure. In regards to the short pitched bowling going too far, that's where I think it gets to a stretch and, whilst I sympathise with the family, think it's a load of revisionist bull****.
Was gonna say something, but this is pretty much exactly what I was gonna say.

91Jmay

International Coach
I have sympathy with the family, but think a good QC who was having their best interests in mind wouldn't carry on like that ****wit Melick has. His line of questioning and the clear desire on behalf of him and the family to establish intent is shocking. Glad it seems to have been dismissed.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The Phillip Hughes inquest became something it shouldn?t have | The Roar

Article by Glenn Mitchell; former ABC radio cricket commentator, from The Roar website.

worth reading
And from what I've seen (I understand it's shaky ground to criticise when I'm only seeing what the media reports) that Melick made it something it shouldn't have. Possibly prompted by the family. Agree with 91JMay, a lawyer with a proper moral standing - you'd hope - wouldn't have taken this whole thing down that path. However, I know finding a lawyer with a moral compass is not something achieved easily.

A couple of months ago, we were able to look back on Phil's death as a horrible tragedy but one that was purely an accident and had so many heart-warming things about it, whether it was Michael Clarke's brave vigil publicly and privately, the tributes across the world from people at all levels, remembering what a great person and cricketer Phil was etc. Now, we'll also partly remember this awful scenario played out through the courts, the 'I'll kill you' stuff, the inquest into the amount of bouncers etc. Just bad.

Midwinter

State Captain
The submission made regarding "short balls" is problematic in my opinion due to what defines a short ball or short pitched bowling.

Is it short due where it bounces on the pitch ?
Is short due to the height it rises after hitting the pitch ?
Or is the speed of the ball.?

Any batsman would be pleased to face my short pitched bowling and would be hitting it over the fence all day long.
If it was Curtly Ambrose it would be a different matter.

So it is very difficult, as we have seen over the years, to make a rule that can enforced in an objective manner.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just remember, without lawyers you would live in a world Cribb aspires to.

Think about that.

91Jmay

International Coach
I'm a fan of lawyers. There I said it.

I joke with them at work that all I need a lawyer for is to print something off but some of the most inquisitive and intelligent people I've ever met are lawyers. Give me a lawyer over a finance guy (my line of work) anyday. And let's not get started on ****ing accountants.

Oh who am I kidding. We all know what you call a bus full of lawyers going off a cliff.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sadly, the Phillip Hughes coronial inquest has become something it was never meant to be.

It should have been simply about safety levels in cricket. Unfortunately, it descended into an inquest about Phillip Hughes.
so was the Phillip Hughes coronial inquest supposed to be about Phillip Hughes or not