• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Distillation of that comment: somehow a leftie experiences difficulty from being in a situation a righty is in all the time.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well done boys. Excellent day for SA, bit of luck but batted really well. Very happy with having runs on the board. Definitely something available for the bowlers. Wagner was really impressive.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jeez that was some disappointing day for New Zealand. No sympathy for Southee & Bracewell's looks of bewilderment when he beat the bat on the odd occasion. They're not consistent enough to earn wickets. You need to land at least 5 out of 6 deliveries in the right areas.

Howsie

International Captain
A consistent bowler would be dangerous on this deck.
Yep. I said after watching the second session New Zealand could've easily taken 4-5 wickets with abit more luck, truth is they probably weren't consistent enough even during that period. Pretty much the story of our attack the last 12 or so months, now just watch Wagner finish up with 4-5 wickets with the opposition finishing on 450+ :sleep:

And anyone questioning why we bowled first just look at the New Zealand attack, four seamers and half a spinner. With even a hint of green in the pitch we are always going to bowl first with that attack, have to look to make the most of the pitch when you don't have a spinner worth talking about. If NZ were playing Santner how he is suppose to be played (as a batting all rounder) we probably would've batted first.

Howsie

International Captain
On Santner btw, NZ need to stop mucking him around if they want to get the best out of him. He's a batsman first and foremost, treat him like one. With Nicholls in this team he's good enough to batting at five. Play him as a proper all rounder and bring Sodhi into this team, who IMO would be better off playing rather than sitting on the sideline carrying the drinks.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm a long way from championing Rashid as a bowler but he's a long way ahead of Sodhi, over 300 FC wickets ahead for one thing

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I only watched briefly. While I watched I saw deKock look brilliant. He will do great things for SA over the years. His leaving skills outside the off stump were incredible.

Anyway - I thought we bowled a treat while I observed.
a) Luck didn't go our way - I saw us beat the bat a number of times, and BJ put down a tough chance. Any ball I thought we were going to be in,
b) A hint of outswing for Bracewell - toot toot. That can only mean good things. Not every ball but it was there. Who is this bowling coach anyway we have. Seems to have a magic wand.
c) South Africa seemed to know the pitch. And were playing for swing. If our guys were facing that same bowling then yeah.
d) No need for talk of playing Ish Sodhi or batting first or anything. In Kane we trust. This was the right call. Batting teams are allowed to play well some days. It happens. We tried our best and put in
a test match quality bowling performance out there.
e) I hope we stick with 4 seamers plus Santner in non sub continental conditions for as long as possible.

Flem274*

123/5
That scorecard is more what I expected from this tour. Gawd Amla was glorious last night.

NZ only have themselves to blame. There's plenty there if you bowl well. Howsie can moan all he likes, Steyn and Philander are going to roll out sometime tomorrow and take a haul because they can land 6 out of 6.

This will get me labelled a "hater" Santa gets treated like a bits and pieces player because he is one in the long game right now. Has barely batted above #6 for his domestic side and still has a ****** record. He's been picked too early so he's getting hidden down the order. I reckon he'll have a grand tour of India though if they wheel out some decks for "Dean Elgar 5fer" cricket or even Jadeja pitches because he is nice and accurate.

The thought of Sodhi being thrown to Amla in this format just makes me sad. Madness.

Wagner is glorious btw. Genuinely good bowler nowadays, and does it in his own ugly way. What a hero he is.

Howsie

International Captain
Sodhi would surely get pumped in tests against a proper team. Just bowls so many pies
Much like Doug Bracewell is here?

I said at the start of the tour you can't select Sodhi, play him in a couple of tests and then just drop him again. Would it hardly be surprising that some of his issues stem from a lack of confidence at this point? It can't be easy knowing one bad innings and that's probably you done. You have to stick with him for a good amount of test matches IMO.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like Moeen and Rashid.
I'm a long way from championing Rashid as a bowler but he's a long way ahead of Sodhi, over 300 FC wickets ahead for one thing
I haven't studied Sodhi closely, but Rashid Khan > Adil Rashid, so I dislike people referring to Adil Rashid as just Rashid. He should be referred to as Adil or Adil Rashid - because he isn't currently the best leg-spin bowler among people named Rashid.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Much like Doug Bracewell is here?

I said at the start of the tour you can't select Sodhi, play him in a couple of tests and then just drop him again. Would it hardly be surprising that some of his issues stem from a lack of confidence at this point? It can't be easy knowing one bad innings and that's probably you done. You have to stick with him for a good amount of test matches IMO.
Agree but I'd go the route of just not selecting him, at all.

Southee bowled better the longer he bowled, so it was good to see Williamson forcing long spells on him.

Thought we bowled ok. Not terribly, but not well. And we were a bit unlucky.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This will get me labelled a "hater" Santa gets treated like a bits and pieces player because he is one in the long game right now. Has barely batted above #6 for his domestic side and still has a ****** record. He's been picked too early so he's getting hidden down the order.
Agreed.

As opposed to Anderson who is actually a somewhat proven middle order batsman.

vandem

International 12th Man
... This will get me labelled a "hater" Santa gets treated like a bits and pieces player because he is one in the long game right now. Has barely batted above #6 for his domestic side and still has a ****** record. He's been picked too early so he's getting hidden down the order. I reckon he'll have a grand tour of India though if they wheel out some decks for "Dean Elgar 5fer" cricket or even Jadeja pitches because he is nice and accurate. .
Disagree.

IMHO he's been picked because we haven't got a spinner who is one of the top 4 (or even top 10) bowlers in the country, so unless we are in the subcontinent we are going to pick 4 seamers and then have someone in the top 6 for a part time defensive spin option (boost the over rate, keep the run rate down, perhaps winkle out a few wickets on days 3-5).

And yes, Anderson is a somewhat proven middle order batsman, but would need to bat #5 in the current team, or improve bowling to become a test quality 4th seamer.

Last edited: