• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Either way:

1. It's true, weirdly unseasonal rain ruined the preparations at the ground. So change the venue

2. It's untrue, it's been a bit of extra rain but nothing out of the realms of prediction = facilities not up to scratch. So fix the facilities and/or change the venue.

It's really garbage to try and shift the blame from CSA and place it on unforeseeable circumstances. This is 100% on them.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a ridiculous comment. If you get rain like that on top of earlier rain then it's going to effect any ground. And as has been noted, it's winter ffs.

Kiwi fans should be thanking their lucky stars for it.
Not sure if you just stumbled in unaware of the full context here, but you seem to have missed the point of the argument and criticism. It's not just about the rain ffs.

Burgey

Look, you saw the play at the start of NZ's innings, I gather. Search your heart, you know they've dodged a massive bullet here and would have been all out for 23. Now they have a shot at sneaking a series win in SA, which is no mean feat.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Look, you saw the play at the start of NZ's innings, I gather. Search your heart, you know they've dodged a massive bullet here and would have been all out for 23. Now they have a shot at sneaking a series win in SA, which is no mean feat.
KW series average: infinity

Howsie

International Captain
CSA should cop a massive fine as far as I'm concerned, this was just downright atrocious. They relaid the entire ground in a month or two ago, why on earth would you schedule a match right after doing that. Even the commentators said as much on the first day when play was held up because of morning dew. Pommy said something along the lines of 'If it rains we'll lose a lot of time in this match' If a ****ing commentator can pick that up within the first five minutes of being there why couldn't a proper offical?

Burgey

"Unsatisfactory conditions" say the Kiwi fans as they buy their tickets for the upcoming summer matches at Eden Park with its 25 meter boundaries. #mcgsobig

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I'm also interested to hear the evidence that this was a massively unseasonal and unprecedented rainy August in Durban. It's been mentioned by Firdose who I reckon got it straight from CSA, and she's not one to actually check her facts...

So it would be nice to hear some actual meteorological opinions with some numbers.
I checked the global satellite-based forecast on Saturday night, as I was hoping for play, and it was supposed to have an absolute downpour. (I must admit I had expected better drainage, though.)

Ironically enough June through August are actually the driest months in Durban. So having the Test there later wouldn't have helped much.

Zinzan

"Unsatisfactory conditions" say the Kiwi fans as they buy their tickets for the upcoming summer matches at Eden Park with its 25 meter boundaries. #mcgsobig
Oh, you must mean that ground where Australia on their last two ODI outings there managed scores of 151 & 148 all out.... If only they could clear a 25 meter boundary more often eh?

Zinzan

Yes there is 1, can you guess?

Incidentally, in case folks are unaware, there is a secret weapon against Burgey's light-hearted trolling, one chink in his armour so to speak. Just make mention of Lillee's record in his 5 tests in the subcontinent and the West Indies and you'll see how prickly his soft underbelly becomes. :p

Burgey

I see Zinzan is bringing over his patented powers of observation and analysis from the American Politics thread.

I'm an equal opportunity troller of cricket teams. Am always happy to sink the slipper into my own team as much as anyone else's. There's a tried and true formula which everyone ought to apply when analysing and commenting on cricket teams on CW and in general:

Australia - can't play the moving ball, whether it's seam up or spin/ attack player behaviour even when it's the same as that of your own players/ only subcontinental performances count/ suggest Warne a drug cheat/ put down every player who played between 1995-2009 as over rated and an arsehole because you have the ****s your own outfit couldn't hold a candle to them.
India - can't play when it bounces/ Tendulkar is a jerk/ lol fast bowlers/ lol fielding/ corruption/ all their fans have woeful sense of humour (this is actually true)/ they've never won here/ subcontinental records don't count
Pakistan - thinly veiled references to match fixing/ slag Imran/ they've never won here/ ball tampering using a bottle top/ subcontinental records don't count
NZ - cricketing small man's syndrome/ the national equivalent of taxi drivers and farmers - they're never happy no matter what (Volty excepted)/ say Williamson is a flash in the pan/ laugh at Boult and Southee's efforts in Aus last summer when their fans yapped them up.
England - climate/ overseas players/ soap dodgers/ ODIs/ slag off the targeted supporter's footy team
SL - everyone knows relying on spinners to carry the new ball attack is unmanly/ they've never won here/ subcontinental records don't count (caveat - don't bag Herath. Legend)/ implied suggestion Murali chucked.
SA - bit soft/ Kallis over rated/ Donald over rated/ De Villiers downhill skis/ grounds wash out too easily/ quotas.
WI - almost a bit too sad to slag off lately, tbh. But if you must, then terribad organisation/ players going after money over playing proper cricket/ haven't had a decent side since 1999/ say Viv is over rated.
Bangladesh - they're a club side in national colours/ can't play short stuff like the rest of the subcontinental players/ have no bowlers/ give Ireland a go instead/ they're useful for people who want to impress others with their knowledge of a lot of really, really irrelevant players on the world stage. Edit: subcontinental records don't count.
Zimbabwe - See WI less the players going off after the lucre, and the fact they've never had a decent side/ Flower was over rated (he was, ftr).

I think that's about it. Stick with that and you'll probably be ok.

Last edited: