• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

Mike5181

International Captain
Southee's career trajectory is headed more towards him being remembered as a Chris Martin level bowler than the 26-27 average guy I thought he might become.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get dropped, but while Doug Bracewell is somehow still a thing in this XI, that's not going to happen.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Henry obviously needs to kick on too, for us to have any hope of putting pressure on Southee or straight up replacing him.

Reckon Milne might finally be getting to the age where walking onto the field ceases to cause an injury. Would add an interesting dynamic if he has a successful domestic season.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Milne will get a run at some point. He bowls 150kph, gets subtle swing with the new ball and unlike almost every NZ 150kph bowler since Hadlee his deliveries land on the pitch. They're going to do everything they can to make him a world class test bowler and so they should. NZ have good options in every other form of seam bowling except extreme pace.

Would be handy if a side effect of Southee bowling puss is Henry senses blood in the water and stops this enforcer/just short of a good length bull**** he's been trying. Back to the Henry corridor of uncertainty or whatever Damien Fleming was calling it on twitter thanks.

edit - Milne definitely has the ability to average 20 or so at #8 too, which helps his chances...

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
can understand why they haven't gone on with their starts, most have not played tests since january - even zim had played more tests than saf since, say, february
Yeah this pretty much. I have seen SA play like this before during Day 1 of the 1st test match after a long layoff. They pretty much batted like this against Bangladesh in the first test in 2015. But usually when they were at their peak, they would be able to bounce back from that with a Steyn/Philander show. Let's see how this one plays out.
Expect Amla to get a ton by the second test.

vandem

International 12th Man
Looks like a great last session for NZ and as others have said, particularly impressed at the new Kaneh-led approach to keep the runs down when wickets aren't coming (even if helped by FDP's inability to score)...
Watched up to tea, and think the 2nd session was the key to the day. At 2-94 at lunch, scoring at 3.5 RPO, Amla looking in command (apart from a couple of thick edges from Southee), could easily have been 3-200 at tea.

Agree about Kane's captaincy, didn't over attack, didn't get too funky with short covers and 5 on the leg-side, instead had his seamers to peg away with 2 slips and strong cover field. Result was 2 wickets and 2 RPO in the session, meant that the best Saffers could reach was 250-ish at stumps which would have kept NZ in the game with a new ball due on the 2nd morning.

Days of Grace

International Captain
No chance they'll continue with the old ball and Wagner bouncers against the tail and spin?

Have a feeling Steyn and Rabada could hoick a few against the new ball.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Liked Kane's captaincy in this test. Didn't try anything too pro-active and unorthodox when wickets weren't tumbling due to massive sideways movement. Kept things tight and got wickets even when batsmen seemed settled.

Southee bowled poorly in his opening spell but came back well and Bracewell bowled better imho than people here seem to be rating. I mean he wasn't super threatening but he bowled in good areas and got a wicket.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah it stinks. When the world's premier bowler for the last 6-7 years has played 50 less test matches than the current England captain despite debuting earlier then something seriously needs to be addressed.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looks like the White Akram had a proper dig.
Nah... he still tons up and converts lots... its just bloody frustrating when he gets out like that and is in obvious good form.

I`m not worried to much about Philander and Steyn fitness, they have been playing the last few months just probably not at test intensity. It is not like they are coming straight from injury. How rusty they are is another thing though...

Elgar, Cook and Bavuma have been playing in the A team and they looked better than Faf and Duminy, who are also under the most pressure playing for their test spots. And you could see why yesterday. Amla is just pure class.

Last edited: