• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

BeeGee

International Captain
Top day, NZ. Well done.

The best thing about today is all the bowlers made contributions. Even Southee with no wickets bowled well during that middle session and kept the runs down.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disappointing final session for SA... well played NZ, kept a good tight line and we capitulated in the end. If we can get past 250 tomorrow, I would accept that now.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Good work all around from NZ, especially considering Southee struggled and Bracewell was very up-and-down in the first session. Will probably be happy not to have had to bat today, Steyn and Philander could make things uncomfortable in these conditions. South Africa's long layoff showed, though 250 might even be competitive.

sacricketer

Cricket Spectator
Question for fellow saffers on this thread.

Does Quinton de Kock count as a player of color? I know for a fact that one of his parents is colored. I'm just curious to know how will the targets/quotas be managed by the Proteas.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Good to wake up to see SA didn't get away from NZ

If NZ bat like they usually do in SA or Steyn/Philander go haywire in their returns then this doesn't mean much but if they all dig in this will be an awesome series. Day one better not be flirting with us in terms of competitiveness (probably is).

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Question for fellow saffers on this thread.

Does Quinton de Kock count as a player of color? I know for a fact that one of his parents is colored. I'm just curious to know how will the targets/quotas be managed by the Proteas.
you might be thinking of waybe parnell? definitely not qdk.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Good to wake up to see SA didn't get away from NZ

If NZ bat like they usually do in SA or Steyn/Philander go haywire in their returns then this doesn't mean much but if they all dig in this will be an awesome series. Day one better not be flirting with us in terms of competitiveness (probably is).
This was also one of the better bowling efforts from NZ in recent memory because they did make a proper effort to dry the runs up (of course, helped by Faf). Hope they get more consistent with this approach.

Shady Slim

International Coach
can understand why they haven't gone on with their starts, most have not played tests since january - even zim had played more tests than saf since, say, february

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
can understand why they haven't gone on with their starts, most have not played tests since january - even zim had played more tests than saf since, say, february
Yeah I think it's fair to say we have had a bit of luck with how they've played. Some good wickets and good bowling plans in there, but South Africa should be kicking themselves. De Kock really had the opportunity to take the game away from us.

I also don't think we bowled as well as Cricinfo is making out. Boult was excellent which is welcome news, but Southee was poor and Bracewell was only ok at best. Wagner continues to be test standard.

It's great that Wagner is bowling well because if it comes to it, we can drop Southee and bring in Henry, without needing to worry about our third seamer.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like a great last session for NZ and as others have said, particularly impressed at the new Kaneh-led approach to keep the runs down when wickets aren't coming (even if helped by FDP's inability to score).

300 would certainly still be very competitive given SA's bowling attack, would be much happier with 250. NZ must look to keep SA in the field as long as possible, as with not much in the way of part-time bowlers and with Steyn and Philander coming back from injury, there's a lot of advantage to be gained in tiring out the attack. So um, don't get blown away for 46. This doesn't look like that sort of wicket, but neither is it one where scoring is particularly easy. An interesting day tomorrow.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Won't be easy early doors vs. Steyn, Rabada and Philander, but without wishing to simply state the obvious, if NZ can make their 1st innings count, & they'll go a long way to their first series win in the republic. Such a crucial day coming up.