• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, and far more effective too. Now he just rolls over like Broad.

Since the start of 2012 he averages 8.85, he averaged 11.91 before then. Despite his 81 happening in the later period.

The main thing though is since 2012 he averages just under 15 balls less than before. Since 2012 he averages 18.5 balls per dismissal, as opposed to 33.1 balls previously. That's a massive difference and he's not just costing himself runs but costing the guy at the other end, and the team.
Yup, taking the soft 'Southee/Broad option, although at least we can't claim he has the natural talent with the bat those two do.

Burgey

Love a test match with a first dig around the 300 mark. Just sets up the game so well

TheJediBrah

Yup, taking the soft 'Southee/Broad option, although at least we can't claim he has the natural talent with the bat those two do.
At least with Southee you get the feeling he'd score more runs that way than if he tried to play properly (imo). You can't say the same about Broad and Anderson. If Broad applied himself he could be a much more prolific batsman.

Zinzan

Nah, Southee could be more selective and measured without stifling his attacking nature too much, and would be better for it. But like Broad, seems he wants to be around for a good time, not a long time.

It's not like they're the only tailenders in history with this approach to batting, but it's a shame that both Broad & Southee could both score more runs and last longer with a little bit of tenacity & heart,

TheJediBrah

I'm inclined to agree with you, but it probably has something to do with them not wanting to risk injury that could really **** up their bowling, which would be fair enough if you think about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was Broad's motivation at least, after getting his foot half knocked-off by Johnson.

91Jmay

International Coach
The wicket offering much fellas and how's it likely to play over the next couple of days?

All out for 297 seems like a great day for Pakistan, but could easily see them rolled for 170 in response.
Will seam and swing all day, pitch should quicken up today as well. Part of what makes Edgbaston good ground is that there are rarely flat periods were the ball does nothing. I think it might spin come day 3 as well.
Would say 297 is around par.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm inclined to agree with you, but it probably has something to do with them not wanting to risk injury that could really **** up their bowling, which would be fair enough if you think about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was Broad's motivation at least, after getting his foot half knocked-off by Johnson.
Makes sense. I wonder if that played more of a part than taking one on the helmet against India.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, Southee could be more selective and measured without stifling his attacking nature too much, and would be better for it. But like Broad, seems he wants to be around for a good time, not a long time.

It's not like they're the only tailenders in history with this approach to batting, but it's a shame that both Broad & Southee could both score more runs and last longer with a little bit of tenacity & heart,
If a guy who bats 10 wants to take the approach to try and smash everything out the ground then fine. I've always been of the opinion that tailenders should focus on attack or defence and be eirher an annoying troll who'll just try and smash bowlers or an obdurate prick that's hard to dismiss. Both methods serve a use and teams could be more flexible with their lower order batting order depending on the match situation. Eg last remaining batsman at the crease on a score, send out the blocker, trying to score quick runs for a declaration, send out Southee to slog everything into the stands.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow that first ball from Finn and the support from the wicket keeper and slip cordon including Cook must be one of the most beautiful things about team sports. Here is Finn, lucky to get a game with Stokes injured, struggling for form, confidence, wickets and he bowls a his first ball and gets so much support from his team..letting him know they are all behind him and how much they want him to come good out of this.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Elsewhere Wood back playing the 4-day stuff for Durham.

Edit: Starts with a wicket maiden, bowling Hildreth.

Last edited:

Raffski

School Boy/Girl Captain
Really don't think Finn should be trying to be aggressive and bowl as fast as he can. His best spells last year and in South Africa were when he just bowled line and length and got seam movement . Somebody should show him his dismissal of Amla in Johannesburg and tell him that's the ball he should always be trying to bowl.