• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa 2016

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just had a look at his numbers from last year's Sunfoil Series - played five games, made 337 runs at 48 with a century and two fifties, and took 23 wickets at 20.5, with three fifers.

If he keeps that kind of form up he could really be a gem for the Test side.
If he keeps that sort of form he could be brilliant at 7, gives us a genuine allrounder option for that spot... allowing us to play good 5 bowlers and some flexibility in spinning conditions. Effectively replacing what SA hoped Duminy would become. But that's just hopeful/wishful thinking atm.

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
I think they're is a pretty good chance he plays 7 and QdK goes up to 6.If South Africa keep QdK at 7 can't see him getting in the side.Helps a lot that he qualifies as a player of colour too.

Also,I know he was probably the most logical candidate,but still weird to see Faf captain when he was dropped for the last test South Africa played.

StephenZA

I think they're is a pretty good chance he plays 7 and QdK goes up to 6.If South Africa keep QdK at 7 can't see him getting in the side.Helps a lot that he qualifies as a player of colour too.

Also,I know he was probably the most logical candidate,but still weird to see Faf captain when he was dropped for the last test South Africa played.
Faf was not dropped... played all the last tests against Eng.

StephenZA

Was dropped for the Centurion test
Oh yes... can`t remember if that was for injury though. I know Duminy got his place back...

I do wish that SA would give Elgar the captaincy for this one (and vice-captaincy in the longer period) probably won`t happen now, particularly under AB.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Faf was dropped for bad form. It's ridiculous that he gets back in and captain at the same time. The captain needs to be 100% sure of his spot. Should have gone to Elgar.

Also I am very suspicious of this so called injury of abd. Betting if it was ipl the next game he plays through the "pain"...

Slippaah

U19 12th Man
Should the SA cricket community embrace transformation ? Could implementation affect outcomes on the forthcoming NZ visit ? Any thoughts from the SA locals ?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
They should pick the best players available. But this discussion probably belongs in another thread.

91Jmay

International Coach
A look at their A and under 19 teams plus their current crop and it should in theory be easy to pick a side with 6+ players of colour in going forward.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Oooo, big news AB de Villiers, Morne Morkel ruled out of New Zealand Tests | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Now if NZ ever had a chance of a Test series win vs. SA (let alone in the republic), surely this is the time.
Nah, even in the absence of Morne an attack of Steyn, Philander and Rabada will ensure NZ's batsmen have their work cut out. The absence of AB does make the batting look a bit thin but with (I'm guessing) de Kock at 7 and Philander/Morris/Parnell at 8 it looks like South Africa bat fairly deep.

Stefan9

International Debutant
A look at their A and under 19 teams plus their current crop and it should in theory be easy to pick a side with 6+ players of colour in going forward.
Depends what the requirement of " black africans" are...Outside of kg & bavuma wouldn't say there is anyone knocking on the door.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Steyn/Philander/Rabada should be their front line pace attack anyway.
Yeah maybe for now but this quota system is here to stay. What happens when Philander is injured or retires? what happens when a it's not the first choice pace attack?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah maybe for now but this quota system is here to stay. What happens when Philander is injured or retires? what happens when a it's not the first choice pace attack?
I guess Parnell's probably next in line out of quota players. Magala is playing in South Africa A....other than that it's probably Hendricks (who is basically crocked) or a journeyman like Alexander. Is Olivier coloured?

I'd be more worried about their quota batting depth, tbh. Their next best option is either Ramela or Hendricks, neither of whom inspire confidence.

Shady Slim

International Coach
surely parnell's not a quota player...

how close is he to "full-bloodedness" (not sure what the pc term is here), and is the quota from black safrican, cape coloured, subcontinent?

StephenZA

surely parnell's not a quota player...

how close is he to "full-bloodedness" (not sure what the pc term is here), and is the quota from black safrican, cape coloured, subcontinent?
To keep it simple any non-white counts towards quota. Don't forget that this is about history whereby anybody that was not full Caucasian was not allowed to play for SA under apartheid see D'Oliveira. So Amla, Parnell etc count towards quota. However there is an additional quota of 2 'black' players within that quota, nowadays.

[h=1][/h]