• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Everyone's vulnerable early in the innings, Borthwick a little more so. Difference is Borthwick when he gets in is very difficult to dislodge, goes on with it and very rarely throws it away. Unlike most of England's batsmen who will do the hard work for you.

His stats over the last 4 years speak for themselves.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Cook bats first. Given the cloud cover that suggests the toss didn't really matter much. Pleased not to have to bat last more than get to bat first.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Everyone's vulnerable early in the innings, Borthwick a little more so. Difference is Borthwick when he gets in is very difficult to dislodge, goes on with it and very rarely throws it away. Unlike most of England's batsmen who will do the hard work for you.

His stats over the last 4 years speak for themselves.
But he'll be vulnerable when he comes out when a new session starts

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I never realistically thought they were going to play 2 spinners. I just got the impression that Bayliss said that just to confuse the opposition a little about what to expect.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I never realistically thought they were going to play 2 spinners. I just got the impression that Bayliss said that just to confuse the opposition a little about what to expect.
He played 3 in bad ones in Sharjah when the Pakistan bats couldn't hit the seamers off the square, so him and cook are definitely stupid enough to do it. Old Trafford is a wicket you could play two spinners if you had the quality, England don't.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah, maybe trying to tempt you lot to play 2+2. The bounce at OT will help our bowlers and Wahab will be a handful here when cranks it up. Obviously the leggie is a problem but batting first we may fare better than last week.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Bit made of the fact that England haven't lost at OT since Pakistan won here in 2001.

Question: How many times did England win at Old Trafford between 1982 and 2001?

Answer: 1 win in 15 matches. Christ we were ****e.

91Jmay

International Coach
Woakes should bat higher than Stokes, more consistent bat but we've seen whenever Stokes bats down the order he lacks the intelligence to play properly and just slogs.

91Jmay

International Coach
Nah that's rubbish. Not close to being as good a batsman.
Correct, he is marginally better. Play them both at 6 for 30 tests and Woakes averages higher with more 50+ scores. Stokes probably has more crazy, jaw dropping 100s. But so would Darren Stevens.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Woakes is perfect at 8, with him there we can just pick the best spinner possible, even if he bats worse than Monty. We just don't have one to pick.

Compton

International Debutant
Batting Woakes above Stokes would be lunacy. It's a cracking example of why just using averages is a daft way to compare cricketers.

If Stokes gets in and set you want him to have as long as possible to punish the opposition. Woakes will make plenty of 30-60 scores, but will never really make many tons at test level. Stokes may get out early sometimes, but he's more than capable of big scores.

TheJediBrah

Woakes should bat higher than Stokes, more consistent bat but we've seen whenever Stokes bats down the order he lacks the intelligence to play properly and just slogs.
Obviously you know more about English cricket than me, but . . . seriously?

I find that hard to comprehend

edit: looked up the stats and very surprised to find that Stokes first-class average is only 34

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Batting Woakes above Stokes would be lunacy. It's a cracking example of why just using averages is a daft way to compare cricketers.

If Stokes gets in and set you want him to have as long as possible to punish the opposition. Woakes will make plenty of 30-60 scores, but will never really make many tons at test level. Stokes may get out early sometimes, but he's more than capable of big scores.
Understatement of the century.

I'm being a bit of a contrarian and I'm not totally sure I'd bat Stokes below Woakes but the idea there is a great yawning difference between them as batsmen is a huge myth. Stokes scoring quickly is a big positive in his favour, Woakes being technically superior and more solid is a positive in his favour.

They are both in reality number 7s (along with Moeen). So obviously England are batting none of them at number 7.