• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Stokes not playing is huge. Broad usually steps up when Anderson is out and expect Finn to trouble Pakistan greatly. But without Stokes, the middle order looks a tad weak and over reliant on Root. Bairstow is in sublime form though

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
If Ballance is back then why on earth is Joe moving to 3? Ballance's problems had nothing to do with batting too high, he'd proven he could score runs there, it was mostly technical issues. Surely if they believe he's recovered from those enough to make the team then he can go back to 3. Seems unnecessarily disruptive to Joe.

Edit: Seems like this isn't really to do with Ballance, they just want him batting at 3. If Joe wants to do it himself then I suppose it's fine but I worry they're making this decision for him.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm not really fussed about where Root bats, his whole youth career was as an opener and he's hit a big test ton there. Being an opener for Yorkshire is how he got headlines the first place.

Yes he's been a better player since moving down the order but that's mostly because he's a much better than in 2013 in general. Just look at how his one day cricket has improved in the same time without a change of position.

I'm worried about the bowling sans Jimmy. Just can't shake that feeling.

Compton

International Debutant
Ballance makes two decent scores after 18 months of tosh and gets a call up. Glad to see the selectors are sending the right signals to the County game.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I reckon Rushworth is a little bit gutted today for getting injured last game for Durham. If TRJ is getting selected then I'd imagine that Rushworth must also of been in the selectors thoughts were it not for injury.

Then again TRJ selection is a little left field so who knows who they debated. Presumably Keith Barker would also of been discussed.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would imagine that TRJ will play ahead of Ball as it is his home ground. Said we should have picked Ball in the dead rubber v SL.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I reckon Rushworth is a little bit gutted today for getting injured last game for Durham. If TRJ is getting selected then I'd imagine that Rushworth must also of been in the selectors thoughts were it not for injury.

Then again TRJ selection is a little left field so who knows who they debated. Presumably Keith Barker would also of been discussed.
Must be joking, Rushworth plays for Durham, so has no ****ing chance.

Someone explain the logic to not picking Ballance for so long and now after being useless for the past 12-18 months barring one innings on possible the flattest pitch in the country is deemed more worthy than Borthwick.

It's a ****ing joke.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Must be joking, Rushworth plays for Durham, so has no ****ing chance.

Someone explain the logic to not picking Ballance for so long and now after being useless for the past 12-18 months barring one innings on possible the flattest pitch in the country is deemed more worthy than Borthwick.

It's a ****ing joke.
Borthwick hasn't scored a run in the last month so that must be what counted against him, add in that Ballance isn't raw and knows the drill and given they have a couple of rookies in Vince and Ball/TRJ and they went for Ballance. He is a very lucky boy though.

Bijed

International Regular
Not sure what to think, really. Fairly confident that Ball/Roland-Jones should be decent and don't mind Root at 3 given that I reckon that Vince & Ballance would both fail there at this point in time. Seems harsh on Borthwick, but I guess he'll be next in line if Vince continues to be poor.

Bijed

International Regular
In all honesty, I think that if Ballance's selection was down to wanting an experienced player in the middle order, Bell would have been the better option.

Not sure why this came out as a separate post to above, sorry

Last edited:

Groundking

International Debutant
In all honesty, I think that if Ballance's selection was down to wanting an experienced player in the middle order, Bell would have been the better option.
Ballance is more likely to make runs than Bell IMO, plus Bell at 4 is useless, and do you really want the new guy to come in at 4?

Anyway, glad that Root is now moved up to no.3, should have been done ages ago.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Ballance against Amir is going to be horrendous to watch, Ballance gets his first fc ton this season and walks into the team its ridiculous. Say what you what about div 2 runs but averaging 80+ is better then 33 in div 1, if Bell-Drummond was fit he should have batted at 3 and Root stayed at 3.

theegyptian

I'm fine picking Ballance. He's clearly got the temperament and he was always going to get another opportunity at test cricket having averaged 48 last time around. No-one really stands out as an alternative from what I've seen.

However I reckon Stokes is a better bat and more proven at international level than Vince. So I'd have picked Stokes in front of Ballance or Vince. The only reason not to pick Stokes imo, is if by him playing as a bat would delay him returning as a bowler.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

I'm fine picking Ballance. He's clearly got the temperament and he was always going to get another opportunity at test cricket having averaged 48 last time around. No-one really stands out as an alternative from what I've seen.

However I reckon Stokes is a better bat and more proven at international level than Vince. So I'd have picked Stokes in front of Ballance or Vince. The only reason not to pick Stokes imo, is if by him playing as a bat would delay him returning as a bowler.
If only there was a guy who has 1000+ runs at 40+ every season for 3-4 years playing on one of the non-road pitches in Division 1 and who also bats at 3. Averaging over 50 for this season would be a plus, as would playing in different countries and for the A/Lions sides. Being a very good fielder would be handy too. A bowling option wouldn't be bad either.

If only there was someone like that.

Stace

First Class Debutant
If only there was a guy who has 1000+ runs at 40+ every season for 3-4 years playing on one of the non-road pitches in Division 1 and who also bats at 3. Averaging over 50 for this season would be a plus, as would playing in different countries and for the A/Lions sides. Being a very good fielder would be handy too. A bowling option wouldn't be bad either.

Apparently having a poorish month is not good enough, but having a bad 2 months but 1 good innings is good enough.

Ballance's average looks good but look how he did against the truly world class attacks he faced, 1 half century in 10 innings against AUS and NZ averaging under 20. Has he improved since then? I don't think so.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
borthwick batting on a minefield then completes discounts rushworths claims for selection.

especially when you consider TRJs home ground is an utter road.

theegyptian

A decent argument for once with facts unlike your normal Durham rants.

However there's got to be more than just following the stats when picking a player. It's not like Stokes or Wood would have been selected if they were picking on stats alone. Your villain Woakes would have had 50 tests by now if we'd gone on fc stats.

I see Borthwick bat and I'm just not convinced he is international class. I also think he looks particularly average against spin and England are going to face a lot of that in the next 6-9 months. He kinda bottled it in the last month as well - when for the first time his name was mentioned with England - and didn't score a run.

There are enough spots available in the batting that if he keeps scoring runs he will get an opportunity in time.

91Jmay

International Coach
Roland-Jones is so average. Really poor selection, Barker a much better all round player.

Ballance over Borthwick not a big fan of either.

fredfertang

Borthwick must wonder what he has to do - sign for Middlesex, Surrey or Yorkshire is, I suspect, the answer

The Battlers Prince

Hard to see the Poms trying many leggies.
I also like Cook saying the Australian thing to do is put Root at 3 as their best player, but not choose Jos because of no red ball cricket. It's bloody Australian to choose any one off LO cricket red ball be stuffed