• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC seriously considers 2 divisions,7/5 split.

watson

Banned
Agree with Richardson that two Test divsions must be implemented by 2019 to add more "meaning and context" to each Test match.

The article doesn't appear to say how the points system will work though. I assume 1 points for a win, and zero for a draw or loss. A bonus point for a series win also seems appropriate otherwise a 1-0 victory will be equal points wise to a 1-2 loss.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's going to be so tricky though. There's a reason different Test nations play different quantities & ratios of Tests/ODIs. Very important financial reasons that can't be ignored.

But if you have such a "points system" it's obviously going to have to be normalized if, say, England play 14 tests in a year and Sri Lanka play 7

G.I.Joe

International Coach
England are the spammers of Test cricket, so it'd make sense for their Tests to be worth half a regular Test.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with Richardson that two Test divsions must be implemented by 2019 to add more "meaning and context" to each Test match.

The article doesn't appear to say how the points system will work though. I assume 1 points for a win, and zero for a draw or loss. A bonus point for a series win also seems appropriate otherwise a 1-0 victory will be equal points wise to a 1-2 loss.
They could use the points system from the Intercontinental Cup. I am sure Ireland would love that.

It's going to be so tricky though. There's a reason different Test nations play different quantities & ratios of Tests/ODIs. Very important financial reasons that can't be ignored.

But if you have such a "points system" it's obviously going to have to be normalized if, say, England play 14 tests in a year and Sri Lanka play 7
I suppose then that is whey there was a suggestion of setting aside a part of the calendar for Test Championship series and the rest for other incidental matches. Kinda like how FIFA has days for qualifiers of various tournaments and nations are free to schedule their own firendlies outside of that?

England are the spammers of Test cricket, so it'd make sense for their Tests to be worth half a regular Test.
I have a new signature :laugh:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suppose then that is whey there was a suggestion of setting aside a part of the calendar for Test Championship series and the rest for other incidental matches. Kinda like how FIFA has days for qualifiers of various tournaments and nations are free to schedule their own firendlies outside of that?
Then that creates it's own problems. For example, what if England get relegated because they finish just below another team on the "Test Championship" table, even though they were actually a better Test team but some of their best wins didn't count because it was the Ashes or something?

It's very, very difficult

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Then that creates it's own problems. For example, what if England get relegated because they finish just below another team on the "Test Championship" table, even though they were actually a better Test team but some of their best wins didn't count because it was the Ashes or something?

It's very, very difficult
I suppose then a series like the Ashes could operate outside of the test championship?

cnerd123

likes this
A 7/5 split means there will be two new Test nations.

I want to know how they determine who those new sides are.

The obvious two candidates seem to be Ireland and Afghanistan. They're on top of the Intercontinental Table, have been the strongest associates in recent times, and have a large amount of support from fans outside of their own countries. But I see major issues facing both these sides.

In the case of Ireland, would becoming a Test Nation mean all their players now count as Foreigners in County Cricket? It's hard to imagine the ECB would be cool with players from a rival Test Nation making use of their domestic structure as heavily as Ireland do now. It's been fine so far while the Irish have been limited to Associate and ODI status, but I'd be surprised if it stayed this way once Ireland became a Test playing nation. And if they do get cut off, is their domestic structure good enough to sustain a Test playing nation? Can the board afford to go professional? How much support is the ICC giving them here? Will it be enough?

As for Afghanistan, their only issue is with security and logistics. It's hard for Afghanistani to get visas for most countries, and downright impossible for others. And naturally they're going to have to host all their games in the UAE; and given their main domestic cricket sponsor is Etisalat, this should be pretty easy for them. It's very much the Pakistan situation, and once again, while not a big deal as an Associate side, how is this going to play up once they become a full blown Test team?

91Jmay

International Coach
ECB should be fine with Irish players using the CC. Until it gets to a point that they are in the same division as us, then a change should be made. However in the meantime a proper first class competition should be built in Ireland.

Two or three team Irish first class tournament with the best Irish players playing at either the start or the end of the English season. The Irish players would be heavily compelled to play it (international selection penalties otherwise) and once it is complete (play it over 3/4 weeks) then they can play in England again. This would start to create a competitive Irish first class competition that could slowly be expanded.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
ECB should be fine with Irish players using the CC. Until it gets to a point that they are in the same division as us, then a change should be made. However in the meantime a proper first class competition should be built in Ireland.

Two or three team Irish first class tournament with the best Irish players playing at either the start or the end of the English season. The Irish players would be heavily compelled to play it (international selection penalties otherwise) and once it is complete (play it over 3/4 weeks) then they can play in England again. This would start to create a competitive Irish first class competition that could slowly be expanded.
This competition already exists; it's in its fourth season. it just doesn't have First Class status yet.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm not a big fan of divisions. This 7/5 split would hardly improve the current scenario of Test cricket having no context apart from bilaterals in the 1st division and could make struggling boards even worse off if they are in the 2nd.

Instead I would like to see a proper scheduled Test championship over the span of 3-4 years where each Team plays a series of 3 Tests against each other - home and away. That might be impossible to schedule given cricket can only be played in certain months in each country.

So instead, why not split the current 10 Test teams into 2 groups of 5. The members in each group play each other in 3 match series home and away, and the top 2 from each group qualify for a play off championship.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
There is debate regarding Day Night cricket. Given that the pink ball requires a green pitch to remain in tact, it is plausible most of these matches won't last longer than 3 days.

I know this idea goes against Tradition, but instead of 3 x 5 Day Test matches in a series, how about 5 x 3 Day-Night Tests instead? This could make the format marketable going into the future.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There is debate regarding Day Night cricket. Given that the pink ball requires a green pitch to remain in tact, it is plausible most of these matches won't last longer than 3 days.

I know this idea goes against Tradition, but instead of 3 x 5 Day Test matches in a series, how about 5 x 3 Day-Night Tests instead? This could make the format marketable going into the future.
I wouldn't overreact too much on the back of one day-night Test.

91Jmay

International Coach
This competition already exists; it's in its fourth season. it just doesn't have First Class status yet.
Not many of the best Irish players play in it, so no the first class competition with the best Irish players playing that ahead of CC that I described doesn't exist.

Rankin, Stirling, Porterfield, Adair, Balbanie, Wilson, Murtagh all playing in that 3 team competition would greatly elevate the standard and help develop younger players by playing them against proper FC standard players.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
A divisional split seems like a great way to end up without a single West Indian playing Test cricket any more.

"Oh, we're only in Div 2 and have Test series against Zimbabwe, Nepal and Hong Kong as preparation for our play-off for promotion? Nah, screw it, BBL cash it is."

viriya

International Captain
Only problem I see with this is with stats.. are both divisions considered Test standard? I think it should.

Would division 1 teams never play div2 teams?

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
Only problem I see with this is with stats.. are both divisions considered Test standard? I think it should.

Would division 1 teams never play div2 teams?
There's two divisions in County and it works fine stats wise.

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
I like the idea. I don't think it will happen.

the Intercontinental Cup is rubbish these days. Too few games spread over, what, 2-3 years?