• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricrate: new cricket ratings website

viriya

International Captain
I had some free time to focus on the front-end of the website which has looked like a late 90s html mess so far. Dabbled with some new tricks using Bootstrap, jQuery etc.

Here's a list of the changes that make everything better looking, cleaner, easier to use and more useful in general:
  • Site design overhaul - much better rendering for mobile
  • Navigation menu restructure
  • Data tables: dig into the data (no more scrolling down)
  • Configurable scatterplots for career + performances ratings
  • Current rating timeline chart
  • By date player comparison charts (compare by actual time instead of just matches)
  • Player all-round/fielding/win share details
  • Compare player all-round/fielding/winshare details
  • Search autosuggest
  • Chart animations
  • In-site contact form

Some links that illustrate these changes:

Please let me know what you think! Appreciate any feedback.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I had some free time to focus on the front-end of the website which has looked like a late 90s html mess so far. Dabbled with some new tricks using Bootstrap, jQuery etc.

Here's a list of the changes that make everything better looking, cleaner, easier to use and more useful in general:
  • Site design overhaul - much better rendering for mobile
  • Navigation menu restructure
  • Data tables: dig into the data (no more scrolling down)
  • Configurable scatterplots for career + performances ratings
  • Current rating timeline chart
  • By date player comparison charts (compare by actual time instead of just matches)
  • Player all-round/fielding/win share details
  • Compare player all-round/fielding/winshare details
  • Search autosuggest
  • Chart animations
  • In-site contact form

Some links that illustrate these changes:

Please let me know what you think! Appreciate any feedback.
Needs a top banner with national flags on it. No Afghanistan pls.

Coronis

International Coach
Ryan ten Doeschate WAG. Also lol'd at test career ratings. Andy Flower above Wally Hammond and Jack Hobbs? AB de Villiers the 8th greatest test batsman?

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
Ryan ten Doeschate WAG. Also lol'd at test career ratings. Andy Flower above Wally Hammond and Jack Hobbs? AB de Villiers the 8th greatest test batsman?
Andy Flower is quite underrated, and Hammond and Hobbs played during a time when bowling quality was relatively low. Considering all that to suggest that they are basically on similar levels is not a stretch imo. Also note that Flower barely had any support and had to carry his team most of the time. He also never got to face Zim bowling.

I also agree that AB is still not top 10 worthy but more like top 20, but when you consider that the rating difference better #20 and #10 is not significant it makes a bit more sense.

One change I'm planning is to tone down the "Wickets at crease" factor which is slightly overrating middle order batsmen because lower order wickets are rated the same as higher order wickets for that. This should bring down players like AB and Chanderpaul.

smash84

The Tiger King
The top 14 can still be argued on but Anil Kumble as 15th greatest bowler of all time just behind the likes of Ambrose and Imran sounds ridiculous.

secondly why is your scatter plot showing up on top of 5WI and 10WI columns?

But its a top effort to actually take the time and create a website

I also quite like the layout and the fact that you have created detailed individual profile pages for individuals

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
The top 14 can still be argued on but Anil Kumble as 15th greatest bowler of all time just behind the likes of Ambrose and Imran sounds ridiculous.

secondly why is your scatter plot showing up on top of 5WI and 10WI columns?

But its a top effort to actually take the time and create a website

I also quite like the layout and the fact that you have created detailed individual profile pages for individuals
Kumble had a great career, and he is behind Imran and Ambrose (as I think he should be), but not as significantly because he almost has twice the wickets as Imran. Longevity matters, and as a spinner you have to look wkts/mat not just average when comparing with fast bowlers. I think #15 is fair, personally I think he deserves top 20 at least for that career.

Are you checking this on a mobile? Datatables with a lot of columns go out horizontally right now. but the scatterplot should show up below that unless you are using a small laptop of some sort. I can tweak some settings to handle that case better - I've been focusing on desktop vs mobile not the mid-size as much.

Coronis

International Coach
Andy Flower is quite underrated, and Hammond and Hobbs played during a time when bowling quality was relatively low. Considering all that to suggest that they are basically on similar levels is not a stretch imo. Also note that Flower barely had any support and had to carry his team most of the time. He also never got to face Zim bowling.

I also agree that AB is still not top 10 worthy but more like top 20, but when you consider that the rating difference better #20 and #10 is not significant it makes a bit more sense.

One change I'm planning is to tone down the "Wickets at crease" factor which is slightly overrating middle order batsmen because lower order wickets are rated the same as higher order wickets for that. This should bring down players like AB and Chanderpaul.
Will also bring down Flower, considering he batted his whole career at 5. Considering how good of a batsman he was, its a tad odd he didn't bat further up the order, especially with a side like Zimbabwe.

smash84

The Tiger King
Kumble had a great career, and he is behind Imran and Ambrose (as I think he should be), but not as significantly because he almost has twice the wickets as Imran. Longevity matters, and as a spinner you have to look wkts/mat not just average when comparing with fast bowlers. I think #15 is fair, personally I think he deserves top 20 at least for that career.

Are you checking this on a mobile? Datatables with a lot of columns go out horizontally right now. but the scatterplot should show up below that unless you are using a small laptop of some sort. I can tweak some settings to handle that case better - I've been focusing on desktop vs mobile not the mid-size as much.
yes, i am looking at it from a laptop but i think my screen is 15 inch which should show up things as good enough which it doesn't for some reason.

On kumble Even with that length of a career there's no way Kumble is a top 20 bowler in the history of cricket. Kumble was pretty useful for India and damn good at home but he really wasn't a bowler who could run through sides on most pitches and you would expect that from the cream of the crop bowerls. I mean who would have Kumble ahead of the likes of Wasim, Waqar, Donald, Walsh, Kapil, etc in a team that they're picking? A spinner can't make a top 20 just because they're a spinner. You need to bowl batsmen out cheaply and be quality all around to make this elite list.

viriya

International Captain
yes, i am looking at it from a laptop but i think my screen is 15 inch which should show up things as good enough which it doesn't for some reason.

On kumble Even with that length of a career there's no way Kumble is a top 20 bowler in the history of cricket. Kumble was pretty useful for India and damn good at home but he really wasn't a bowler who could run through sides on most pitches and you would expect that from the cream of the crop bowerls. I mean who would have Kumble ahead of the likes of Wasim, Waqar, Donald, Walsh, Kapil, etc in a team that they're picking? A spinner can't make a top 20 just because they're a spinner. You need to bowl batsmen out cheaply and be quality all around to make this elite list.
I think currently the site probably works the least best on 15" screens - I'm exploring potential changes to the datatables to potentially fix this.

I think you are underrating Kumble. He was more likely than Wasim or Waqar to get a 5-wkt haul, he took more wkts/mat than them and so actually impacted test matches more than them. I realize that his average was higher but especially in the subcontinent he was a menace. With all that + the fact that he played 50% more tests at a high standard imo it's not a stretch to say he had a better test career.

ODIs is a different story of course - Wasim/Waqar are way ahead there.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think currently the site probably works the least best on 15" screens - I'm exploring potential changes to the datatables to potentially fix this.

I think you are underrating Kumble. He was more likely than Wasim or Waqar to get a 5-wkt haul, he took more wkts/mat than them and so actually impacted test matches more than them. I realize that his average was higher but especially in the subcontinent he was a menace. With all that + the fact that he played 50% more tests at a high standard imo it's not a stretch to say he had a better test career.

ODIs is a different story of course - Wasim/Waqar are way ahead there.
The presence of good bowlers in your team also takes away from the potential wickets you can take. Wasim had Waqar and vice versa, along with some other quality Pakistani bowlers. Kumble didn't really have anyone close to his level for India allowing him to take more wickets per match.

WPM doesn't matter.

viriya

International Captain
The presence of good bowlers in your team also takes away from the potential wickets you can take. Wasim had Waqar and vice versa, along with some other quality Pakistani bowlers. Kumble didn't really have anyone close to his level for India allowing him to take more wickets per match.

WPM doesn't matter.
That is the age-old argument. The counter argument is that having good bowlers to partner with improves your figures because if you have a bad day you don't get overbowled. When you're the lone threat you don't have that option. You also have to keep in mind that fast bowlers by nature can't bowl as much as spinners and also tend to have better strike rates while spinners have higher WPM since they can bowl more. That's part of the package - just because a fast bowler is more likely to get you a wicket given 50 balls doesn't mean he's the better option if the spinner gives you more wickets per innings.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It may be an age old argument but even when compared to other great spinners Kumbles SR places him closer to Harbhajan Singh than it does Murali or Warne.

smash84

The Tiger King
That is the age-old argument. The counter argument is that having good bowlers to partner with improves your figures because if you have a bad day you don't get overbowled. When you're the lone threat you don't have that option. You also have to keep in mind that fast bowlers by nature can't bowl as much as spinners and also tend to have better strike rates while spinners have higher WPM since they can bowl more. That's part of the package - just because a fast bowler is more likely to get you a wicket given 50 balls doesn't mean he's the better option if the spinner gives you more wickets per innings.
yeah, to add to Athlai Kumble doesn't pick wickets quickly enough and cheaply enough to warrant top 15 of all time.

You won't convince me, nor any expert, nor any tom dick or harry on the street (even in Kumble's home town) that he deserves to be in the top 15 bowlers of all time ahead of Wasim and Waqar and Donald and Walsh and Pollock.

And as Athlai mentioned he is closer in quality to harbhajan than he is to warne or murali so you're over rating him wayyyy too much. Just admit that your algorithm does throw up random weird stuff like this and move on.

viriya

International Captain
The career rating difference between Kumble and Waqar is ~5%, which is basically in the realm of coin-toss. I think matching Kumble with Harbhajan is unfair. Harbhajan stayed at a "Kumble" quality level for about 60% of his career then turned into trash. Kumble kept his standards up for most of his 18 year career:

cricrate | Anil Kumble vs Harbhajan Singh - Test Bowling

Of course, I'm not trying to convince you guys :)

I myself would have Kumble at a #20 or so in my personal list. But when he shows up at #15 when #20 is only 5% lower in points in a numbers perspective it's not a significant enough difference. It's just a nice argument to have.

Coronis

International Coach
Your method also overrates Hadlee.
I agree maybe the relative gaps in ratings aren't exactly accurate on the website, but having Hadlee ranked where he is in comparison to other bowlers/other pace bowlers is not overrating him.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I agree maybe the relative gaps in ratings aren't exactly accurate on the website, but having Hadlee ranked where he is in comparison to other bowlers/other pace bowlers is not overrating him.
Talking about the gaps. As a kiwi it's pretty much sacrilege to suggest Hadlee isn't far and away the second best bowler of all time.