• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill clearly (in my eyes) doesn't have the technique to consistently succeed in test matches against the new ball. Would anyone else move him to five to replace McCullum? He is so successful in one dayers that I think we can't really turn our back on that quality in our test team without trying whatever we can to translate it to five dayers.
Welcome to the forum. I must admit that while I've always hated the idea of Guptill moving down the order, I did pause to reconsider that recently. He's shown enough ability to cash in now in ODIs and also when it's easier in tests (i.e. against Sri Lanka earlier this season) that there might be something gained by keeping him away from the new ball, against which he truly is horrible.

I still don't really like the idea though. Our other opening options are thin on the ground (starting to give up the idea that it will ever happen for Brownlie) and there are quite a few options for test number 5 or 6 positions. Might as well just keep Guptill as opener as someone to biff around lesser pace attacks.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Brownlie could then potentially be brought in as our other opener (even if he hasn't had a huge year so far this season).
Brownlie is having the worst season in first class cricket ever, so that's just not an option.

The "Who in this country could do better" is unfair too, because there are players who have done better at domestic level than Guptill for a number of seasons without ever being given the chance.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hi all, first time poster, long time creepy lurking stalkerish reader.

Guptill clearly (in my eyes) doesn't have the technique to consistently succeed in test matches against the new ball. Would anyone else move him to five to replace McCullum? He is so successful in one dayers that I think we can't really turn our back on that quality in our test team without trying whatever we can to translate it to five dayers.

He has batted there in three tests for an average of 68 ... admittedly this includes a big ton against Bangers, but also a 50 vs South Africa, which at least shows he can handle it.

Brownlie could then potentially be brought in as our other opener (even if he hasn't had a huge year so far this season).

Anyway, just my thoughts on the side moving forward.
Welcome. I have played at the Hutt Rec a few times. Would be interested to know what club side you turn out for?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
guptills fielding is worth so much though, so his replacement needs to be a significant step up. Who in the country would actually do better against this bowling lineup?
yeah you've got to take into account that Guptill has played 5 tests here against a scary fast-bowling lineup with the GOAT off-spinner and the best batsman since Bradman standing in the field intimidating him with his mere presence

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
The "Guptill simply can't play Australia" argument. It reminds me of Matthew Sinclair days where his supporters would conveniently forget he was average at best against other teams, but real **** against Australia but point out it was unfair because he never got to play other teams after playing Australia.

Gob

International Coach
Kane is in for a bigun i think can't see him failing four out of four. How big were those two wickets last night

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Kane is in for a bigun i think can't see him failing four out of four. How big were those two wickets last night
Trying to commentators curse the guy. I'm just waiting for Lyon to be a GOAT and again show the strategy of "The opposition think I'm absolute **** and keep trying to charge and smash me over my head" to take Williamson and Latham out again.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trying to commentators curse the guy. I'm just waiting for Lyon to be a GOAT and again show the strategy of "The opposition think I'm absolute **** and keep trying to charge and smash me over my head" to take Williamson and Latham out again.
you need to give it a rest it's really just getting sad now

jcas0167

International Debutant
Hi all, first time poster, long time creepy lurking stalkerish reader.

He has batted there in three tests for an average of 68 ... admittedly this includes a big ton against Bangers, but also a 50 vs South Africa, which at least shows he can handle it.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the side moving forward.
I like the idea of Guptill down the order too, similar to Astle a very clean striker but dodgy against a new ball in tests. Might struggle in middle order in sub-continent though.

As Brownlie is out of form, I wouldn't mind seeing Daniel Flynn given another chance opening.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
I can't help but wonder though if NZ will go back to dark ages selection policy where we attempt to force players into being openers. Had this been the Bracewell era NZ then undoubtedly Williamson would probably now be opening which would be horrible.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Wouldn't trust Guptill down the order either tbh.
Ha, well I can understand that ... I guess another part of it is you know we're stuck with him in the team for at least another 12 months, what can we do to stop him opening.

Welcome. I have played at the Hutt Rec a few times. Would be interested to know what club side you turn out for?
I used to be a Taita player, a few years ago now and down the grades. So I should have called myself Fraser Park, but it just doesn't have the same ring to it! How about you?

Gob

International Coach
Who brought this hack here? Getting pretty unbearable now