• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Flem274*

123/5
i never had issues with jeets' talent

i have issues with posters on here acting like he's the second coming of graeme swann

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think any of the Jeets boosters have ever said anything more than Jeets was the best spinner available after Vettori left.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lyon is a very different bowler to most on the list as he puts huge overspin on the ball rather than side spin due to his being brought up in Oz

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on him to out perform Swann in Australian conditions every day of the week but the fact is that Swann is English and had a great career in the conditions that he played under

Lyon has quite a way (and time) before he matches his record

I rate Lyon more highly than Vettori as the latter never reached his full potential due to injuries - he was very smart & economical but hardly a major wicket-taking threat

BTW, Lock shouldn't be on anyone's list as he was the filthiest of filthy chuckers

social

Lyon is still overrated in my book. He's a working-class spinner, does alright but I still wouldn't say he's anything special.
He massively outperforms every spinner in the harshest conditions in the world - Australia

He is very, very good

Gob

International Coach
Swann is comfortably ahead of Lyon imo. Swan could turn it as much but was much quicker through the air hence more difficult to play.

Cant believe how under rated Swann is getting these days. Was a big part in winning a series in India, bowled England to a series leveling win in Sri Lanka and was again good in UAE. His record is not great in Australia and South Africa which i admit are two very difficult places to ball offspin but still he delivered the goods when required like in Adelaide unlike say Ashwin. Also IIRC Swann was regarded as probably the 2nd best bowler behind Steyn for a while in the early 10's.

Lyon has a long way to go before being consider as good forget being superior. He has to start delivering in the conditions that are actually good for spin bowling for a start and he can start doing that in SL

Flem274*

123/5
it's just hurricane who weirdly doesn't rate him. everyone else thinks swann and lyon are awesome.

swann definitely had the much better career to date though.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think any of the Jeets boosters have ever said anything more than Jeets was the best spinner available after Vettori left.
that's understating the boosting just a tad
Look Flem we like to use hyperbole occasionally, but the basic fact has remained that if we could select a spinner eligible for NZ he's the best available post Vettori.

If Hesson's "had a coffee" with Jesse, he should be getting a kebab with Jeets.

social

Just to put things into perspective

1. Swann made his test debut at the age of roughly 29 years and 9 months

2. Lyon is 28 years and 93 days old

3. Lyon has taken 195 test wickets

4. Lyon still hasn't bowled as many balls in his entire career as Swann had before the latter made his test debut

Barring injury, Lyon will obliterate Swann's record

Gob

International Coach
When are the Haters gonna get TPC rocks the world?
Dunno. Few hours ago a bloke was suggesting that he cant play through the off side
Waiting for an opportunity to talk KW as the best batsmen currently. He might be waiting a while.
What is NZ's next assignment? Yeah Smith isn't conceding that spot for a while.
That being said, r00tster might get there after a summer with Pakistan

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
The Australian top Five have been absolute juggernauts this summer.

That's what the 19th hundred in 8 games?

Hasn't been a lot of swing this summer and they're far far far too good for anything else they've had to face.

****ing hate it,

Flem274*

123/5
@ gob

south africa

nz never tour south africa well. they find it tougher than australia where they've had some success or fought well with underdog sides.

not in south africa

gonna hurt bad

Athlai

Not Terrible
@ gob

south africa

nz never tour south africa well. they find it tougher than australia where they've had some success or fought well with underdog sides.

not in south africa

gonna hurt bad
But once he has an away Test century against SA and Zim he's got the full 10.

Flem274*

123/5
But once he has an away Test century against SA and Zim he's got the full 10.
i wasn't replying to his smith v kane comments (line up kane against the windies and this nz attack for a summer on roads ;) #rankbait) but about the next tour bit.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith has achieved more so far, but Williamson is a gun, of that there cannot be any realistic question

Last edited: