• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Flem274*

123/5
please send doug back to CD. our chances to win the shield sky rocket since he's a proper FC bowler now and a glorious troll with the bat at that level.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
On the flipside, very impressed with the captaincy from Steve Smith and I think it's an underrated feature here. He's got a young bowling attack that truth told was copping it as being one of the worst to come to NZ and he's marshalled them exceptionally and I think a great feature of their play is they've managed to put massive pressure on Williamson, Latham, McCullum and Watling by completely removing their usual scoring options.

Flem274*

123/5
forgot to reiterate earlier but after seeing kippax's video of nicholls' glorious shovelling trolling in the shield stepping ten metres outside off to hit through the onside i am a true convert now. what a hero.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
forgot to reiterate earlier but after seeing kippax's video of nicholls' glorious shovelling trolling in the shield stepping ten metres outside off to hit through the onside i am a true convert now. what a hero.
Haha that was peak bent shovel.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I am turning in. Thanks for the chat Dan!

I will spend tomorrow creating a Corey J in a boxer outfit avatar. Mind you Gnske is supposed to hit me with the Don Von Voges avatar - so yeah that project will have to keep.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Actually wait, we all want to drop Craig and play four seamers, right? So we need a spin bowling all-rounder at #6 but Santner is injured.

If only Northern Districts had another batsman who bowls left arm spin in their top six:

And Hurricane can rightly slam this one for being arrogant ;)

Flem274*

123/5
The UN security council vetoes your decision Dan and instead provides George Worker, a much more agreeable cricketer than The Dev.

tbf i can't think of a better bloke than anton devcich to be sent in as the sacrificial opener if the good version of mitchell johnson was on tour. especially if the circa 2010 cricsim rumours are true.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually wait, we all want to drop Craig and play four seamers, right? So we need a spin bowling all-rounder at #6 but Santner is injured.

If only Northern Districts had another batsman who bowls left arm spin in their top six:

And Hurricane can rightly slam this one for being arrogant ;)
Please don't doxx my pubes.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
On the flipside, very impressed with the captaincy from Steve Smith and I think it's an underrated feature here. He's got a young bowling attack that truth told was copping it as being one of the worst to come to NZ and he's marshalled them exceptionally and I think a great feature of their play is they've managed to put massive pressure on Williamson, Latham, McCullum and Watling by completely removing their usual scoring options.
Absolutely. Taken in context, this was a terrific win. Not that an Aussie win was a huge surprise but to win by an innings and some, with one frontline bowler having a forgettable test. Also the quick turnaround time from the India series with no warmups.

Though it might be worth pointing out that the three Aussies who did play the shield game at Lincoln (Voges, Nevill, Lyon) were all outstanding.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
NZ's best chance for a win in the second is to replace Anderson with the extra pacer (Wagner IMO as he offers the point-of-difference, while neither Southee/Boult will be replaced by Henry for new ball duties so it's almost a given he won't play that role). They'll basically have to hope that the batting copes up with the extra responsibility and the likes of Craig and Bracewell pull their weight in the lower order. That way you gain a lot in the bowling and don't lose a heck of a lot in the batting.

Nothing to do with the allrounder debate (there are equally valid points to be made in favour of Anderson, Neesham and Santner), simply the need for a win and the XI that is most likely to accomplish it in what is hopefully a one-off basis.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I know Santner is pretty to watch as a batsman but we really can't declare him as likely to be a better bat than Anderson or Neesham yet.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
I think we can. I can recall maybe three innings that Anderson has played and scored ugly runs, I can't remember any innings Neesham has gone out and scored ugly, Santner has already shown in a young ODI career that pressure doesn't really get to him, and he doesn't need to be timing the ball to find runs. He's also a tidy left arm spinner at a time where none of our other spin options are tidy. Real issue isn't at #6 though, it's how we make our bowling attack work if the ball isn't swinging early for Southee and Boult and how can we get our top order batsmen to stop throwing starts away in almost every single test. Latham has been ridiculously consistent in getting started against Aus but has yet to go and make them pay. That's a mental issue.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think we can. I can recall maybe three innings that Anderson has played and scored ugly runs, I can't remember any innings Neesham has gone out and scored ugly, Santner has already shown in a young ODI career that pressure doesn't really get to him, and he doesn't need to be timing the ball to find runs. He's also a tidy left arm spinner at a time where none of our other spin options are tidy. Real issue isn't at #6 though, it's how we make our bowling attack work if the ball isn't swinging early for Southee and Boult and how can we get our top order batsmen to stop throwing starts away in almost every single test. Latham has been ridiculously consistent in getting started against Aus but has yet to go and make them pay. That's a mental issue.
I've said before that I think it's a fitness issue for Latham; I think a lot of "mental fitness" is in fact physiological in that we do actually fatigue, both in our brains and our limbs. When you see Latham bat, it's not only that he gives the game away with a poor shot, it's also that his actual technique deteriorates. And unfortunately I don't see batting coach Craig McMillan working that out. Of course, the effect is magnified when he's been out in the field for a day and a half. I just think it's an easy fix that might improve his game. Honestly I really feel not enough emphasis is placed on physical fitness for batsmen at the elite level.

Binkley

U19 Captain
I've said before that I think it's a fitness issue for Latham; I think a lot of "mental fitness" is in fact physiological in that we do actually fatigue, both in our brains and our limbs. When you see Latham bat, it's not only that he gives the game away with a poor shot, it's also that his actual technique deteriorates. And unfortunately I don't see batting coach Craig McMillan working that out. Of course, the effect is magnified when he's been out in the field for a day and a half. I just think it's an easy fix that might improve his game. Honestly I really feel not enough emphasis is placed on physical fitness for batsmen at the elite level.
I have been thinking the same thing. Or perhaps I just read and forgot one of your earlier posts, but absorbed and stole the content along the way. My view is that he is a young guy who has been playing cricket once a week over summer since he was a kid and then, all of a sudden, finds himself playing day-in and day-out for a very extended period of time - and playing at a level where the pressure and mental demands are suddenly much, much higher than he was been used to. It is not surprising that he is mentally and physically drained.

Last edited: