• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, but one would think an inch behind wouldn't be called by a good umpire. It's as much as the width of the actual line on the ground.
He certainly does push it though, and that doesn't help, but for that to be called no ball was some 'bad luck' indeed.
I admire any umpire who can call a no ball. I think it is damn hard. An inch behind or an inch in front means you are in the neighbourhood of a no ball.
The other thing is that Doug pushes the envelope so much is that the umpire is expecting to him overstep.

Doug's no balls have cost us tests before. Remember when he bowled Clarke with an off cutter no ball. And then Clarke went on to some mega score.

If I asked you a question Starfighter before the game like this

"At the end of the 1st day of the test a NZ bowler will take a wicket with a controversial no ball. Who do you think that bowler will be?" Immediately you would have said Bracewell. These things don't happen to Tim and Trent.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Of the current round of Shield fixtures, Bracewell comfortably fits into every team. At full strength, he'd be a rotation bowler at a few states, but with Test guys away and the foibles of form and injury, he's playing the majority of Shield games IMO.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was sure he'd done so when he famously sealed the victory in Hobart too, it's easy to forget that Lyon-bowled wicket was referred upstairs and was incidentally extremely close.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I was sure he'd done so when he famously sealed the victory in Hobart too, it's easy to forget that Lyon-bowled wicket was referred upstairs and was incidentally extremely close.
By my count he has taken 4 wickets now off no balls and his average would be a trifle lower (like 2 runs or so) had he not overstepped.*

*Ceterus Perebus

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not really, it was half and half, pretty much in the ideal spot for a fast bowler to land his foot. Aleem Dar even said to NZ straight off the bat that it was fine, the only reason it was referred was because it was a match deciding delivery and Dar didn't want to risk not referring it and looking like a prat (in the same way that umpires will occasionally refer obviously not out run-out appeals).

Zinzan

Not really, it was half and half, pretty much in the ideal spot for a fast bowler to land his foot. Aleem Dar even said to NZ straight off the bat that it was fine, the only reason it was referred was because it was a match deciding delivery and Dar didn't want to risk not referring it and looking like a prat (in the same way that umpires will occasionally refer obviously not out run-out appeals).
There was probably an inch in it which is too close to be there or thereabouts IMHO ..the reason he often oversteps. Not too much different from his incorrectly called no-ball in this match actually.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bracewell really should be dropped, but I think McHesson will stick with him. The 'eternally unlucky' argument will see him retained.

So I'm hoping that the XI will look like this:
Latham, Gup, KW, Nicholls, BMac, Watling, Craig, Bracewell, Wagner, Soult

Oof, it's gonna take a miracle to level the series with KW, BMac and Watling so out of sorts.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Oh, just re-reading someone's earlier post. Same team then for the next test??

Oh boy. Yeah, I don't see us winning without Taylor. Unless Nicholls somehow just flukes a double century because the Aussies don't know where to bowl to him yet.

I think the next test is pivotal for Corey Anderson. He has scored many fighting 40s for us out of very difficult situations that have been quality knocks. But once you have done the hard work you must go on to 100. He needs a ton to stave off the competition.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There was probably an inch in it which is too close to be there or thereabouts IMHO ..the reason he often oversteps. Not too much different from his incorrectly called no-ball in this match actually.
Nah it was a lot further behind the line than the call on Friday, a good 2 or 3 inches for sure. Check it out at 2:21

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Oh, just re-reading someone's earlier post. Same team then for the next test??

Oh boy. Yeah, I don't see us winning without Taylor. Unless Nicholls somehow just flukes a double century because the Aussies don't know where to bowl to him yet.

I think the next test is pivotal for Corey Anderson. He has scored many fighting 40s for us out of very difficult situations that have been quality knocks. But once you have done the hard work you must go on to 100. He needs a ton to stave off the competition.
...he really hasn't.

He made 48 against Pakistan coming in at 3/47, and the 38 in the first innings here. They're literally the only knocks that can qualify as fighting out of difficult situations, and neither actually got New Zealand out of said difficult situation.

I mean, if 4/180 is a 'difficult situation' then he's made a couple of high 30s too, but that seems like a pretty standard Test match situation tbh. And all his Test match 50s have been downhill skiing or mostly irrelevant.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
...he really hasn't.

He made 48 against Pakistan coming in at 3/47, and the 38 in the first innings here. They're literally the only knocks that can qualify as fighting out of difficult situations, and neither actually got New Zealand out of said difficult situation.

I mean, if 4/180 is a 'difficult situation' then he's made a couple of high 30s too, but that seems like a pretty standard Test match situation tbh. And all his Test match 50s have been downhill skiing or mostly irrelevant.
Yeah, probably his best ever contribution that he managed was that 60 against India in the Eden Park test when he came in with the score at something like 250/4. He also made that 50 at Lord's in a losing cause.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Yeah, probably his best ever contribution that he managed was that 60 against India in the Eden Park test when he came in with the score at something like 250/4. He also made that 50 at Lord's in a losing cause.
Still more than Mitch Marsh has ever done

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Mitch Marsh can bowl though. Handy to have in a team where you're about 50:50 to lose one of your frontline seamers before stumps of day 2.