• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else starting to think that Mark Craig is just a better test batsman than Corey Anderson?.
Not me.

Corey is a contender to replace Baz. Whether he is chosen or not is another matter and he didn't help himself terrfically in this test.

Mark Craig is a lower order batsman.

The gulf between their techniques alone is tremendous.

So yeah a better comparison is Corey vs Nicholls.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not me.

Corey is a contender to replace Baz. Whether he is chosen or not is another matter and he didn't help himself terrfically in this test.

Mark Craig is a lower order batsman.

The gulf between their techniques alone is tremendous.

So yeah a better comparison is Corey vs Nicholls.
In the long term, probably sure. But I mean right now. Craig generally strikes me as having a lot better judgment than Corey and seems to know where his scoring areas now. Corey just seems to have no idea what he's about in tests (and his poor LO form in the leadup to this series isn't a great sign either).

Obviously Craig's average is massively inflated above where it should be. But I think Corey's average is also a little bloated given his only hundred came against Bangladesh and most of his other contributions have been about capitalising on huuuuge top order partnerships. Yet to really contribute in a meaningful way to any team batting effort, and that's deeply frustrating after more than 2 years in the team.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I must admit I've cringed with embarrassment a lot recently at how much some of my fellow Kiwis have been overrating/stating our test side in the last year or two. It's no real surprise though considering we were so bad for so long & then improved a great deal - which can often lead to such an overreaction.

The fact remains we are about where the test rankings suggest, about the 5th best test side, certainly not in the top 3 vicinity IMHO. I'd say it's quite clear we're behind Aust, SA & England & I'm not sure we're definitively ahead of India and Pakistan either.

Some of the pre-series hype & predictions by the likes of KV and a few others prior to both the away and home series have well & truly seen us with our tails between our legs.

Ftr, not all of us see Southee as one of the top 2-3 seamers in the world anymore, 2012-13 is a long time ago now. How he's managed to remain that good for that long by some NZ'ders based on form 2-3 years ago is beyond me.

Still not ruling out a comeback in Christchurch and a drawn home series would be a successful result at home against Australia.
I'm actually starting to feel bad about it, mostly due to the confused, righteous indignation said posters are displaying at the outcome of NZ losing, as if there must be something really wrong with the world for this to happen. One guy even made a thread about it re swing bowling.

I think we all know there are more sensible NZ posters than not though so I wouldn't feel bad being associated with them. I wouldn't want other Aus posters to feel bad for being associated with me.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
In the long term, probably sure. But I mean right now. Craig generally strikes me as having a lot better judgment than Corey and seems to know where his scoring areas now. Corey just seems to have no idea what he's about in tests (and his poor LO form in the leadup to this series isn't a great sign either).

Obviously Craig's average is massively inflated above where it should be. But I think Corey's average is also a little bloated given his only hundred came against Bangladesh and most of his other contributions have been about capitalising on huuuuge top order partnerships. Yet to really contribute in a meaningful way to any team batting effort, and that's deeply frustrating after more than 2 years in the team.
Yeah but why worry about being a lightweight in this day and age though, when you're paid so handsomely to be a "bushwhacker" caricature of your own nation.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah bur why worry about being a lightweight in this day and age though, when you're paid so handsomely to be a "bushwhacker" caricature of your own nation.

Oh my god, Kippax is expanding his range to wrestling references.

kWo

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh my god, Kippax is expanding his range to wrestling references.

kWo
Guptill would've probably gone into wrestling with no braggadocio or schtick at all. He'd have just tried to get very efficient and vanilla pins on people. ;p

Athlai

Not Terrible
Guptill would've probably gone into wrestling with no braggadocio or schtick at all. He'd have just tried to get very efficient and vanilla pins on people. ;p
4/10

Potato salad references or referring to him as an Uso or something would have been better.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but why worry about being a lightweight in this day and age though, when you're paid so handsomely to be a "bushwhacker" caricature of your own nation.

Except that Anderson has been making a visible effort to develop his test game. Whether he succeeds or not is another question, but he's clearly putting in the effort not to be Danny Morrison's Red Lamb.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
These 4 tests have been a massive letdown so far as I was really looking forward to seeing how this new look Oz team went when challenged by a NZ team on the up

Unfortunately, some of the Kiwis have barely shown up (e.g. McCullum, Watling, Southee & Boult) and there are just too many passengers for them to mount a sustained challenge atm

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
These 4 tests have been a massive letdown so far as I was really looking forward to seeing how this new look Oz team went when challenged by a NZ team on the up

Unfortunately, some of the Kiwis have barely shown up (e.g. McCullum, Watling, Southee & Boult) and there are just too many passengers for them to mount a sustained challenge atm
Of the core of the team; Williamson, Taylor, McCullum, Watling, Southee, Boult - all of them except Kane have hit the wall all at the same time - rather like the England team of 2013. The key senior players just are't performing. The axis is ****ed.

There's mitigating circumstances for some of them, but when 5 key cake players are all heading south - that is just too much for the icing to cope with.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Haha

Greatest post of all time and he would wear superman style tight trunks.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

Part of it is our fault. I didn't see England play broad and Anderson in that meaningless ODI series in England yet we played boult and he got a stress fracture. He is only just gaining his full speed back now.

In England boult was very very good. That was one problem of our making and I am not sure we get "bowler rotation" to this day.

I could go with other comments but don't want some tldr responses