• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bird was bowling absolute garbage, there wasn't much swing on offer and the boundaries were flowing. The shots that the top order played were outrageous.
Yeah and none of that is really relevant from losing the toss. We definitely played like total spuds but it still appeared to be conditions were a few wickets in the first session would have been expected. Instead our top order put out a poor effort and our middle order was an absolute myth.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nicholls has been with the team since Christmas. You could equally say that the fact he's doing well on debut is a credit to the coaching staff.
I could but it doesn't suit my agenda so allow me my moments of intellectual insincerity please

Athlai

Not Terrible
Also Bracewell is arguably a better batsman than Craig. Thats why he bats higher. Don't let the Test averages fool you, Craig's flatters him and Bracewell's is skewed from his first call up. Both would make a fine #8.

If they could ****ing bowl.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
"Doug Bracewell has bowled brilliantly all year for us and for him to come in after sitting on the sidelines for a period of time and step up in those clutch moments is really important."

Hail to the chimp. Turn the jokey Central Districts "N.A.S.A." nickname around on itself until that chimp really believes he has an important part to play in the space race.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Also Bracewell is arguably a better batsman than Craig.
Not even close right now. Bracewell looks vaguely like a batsman but flatters to deceive, while Craig has a simple approach that works. Bracewell will probably improve with the bat in time...

If they could ****ing bowl.

Meridio

International Regular
Bat first. His bat is slightly in front of the pad at the point where the ball is.

Notable how much movement Hazlewood is getting with the new ball here.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I secretly have high hopes that this partnership can put up a stand. We need to fight here just because. It is a test and you don't roll over in a test.

Just bat and bat boys.

These two are very good lower order players.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Something I've noticed quite a bit this test - we've hit the fielders a lot, and we've missed out on a lot of singles when the bowlers have strayed onto the pads. It's a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of things this match, but it does contribute to pressure on the batsmen, and bowlers having to adjust to different batsmen more often.
Part of this is that Latham batted a long time. He has an amazing ability to crack the ball straight at the fielders. His 60 contained enough shots off the middle of the bat for him to ton up if it weren't for those pesky field placements and bowling to a plan.

I really noticed when Nicholls came in yesterday that that his first 30 runs were quite 'easy'. Quick singles, plus piercing the field for boundaries. He then slowed up, I presume that is because they had worked out a plan for him by then.

The Aussies really are masters at drying the opposition up and forcing wickets through unrelenting pressure - backed up by well positioned fields and good fielding. Since the days of McGrath and Warne (although that's a no-brainer) but also guys with lesser reputations like Siddle, Watson, Marsh bowling with the old ball looking for a bit of reverse, if it is there, are relentless> Add Lyon at the other end and how do you score? Plus their captain doesn't have ADD and sticks to the plan.

To succeed against them, you really need 360 degree scoring options off both feet. Which NZ really only have 2 guys who can do that; Kane and Ross. Well 3 if you add Baz - (but we are back to normal baz as opposed to 2014 Baz) - so he can realistically only score at 360 degrees off both for a cameo.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Part of this is that Latham batted a long time. He has an amazing ability to crack the ball straight at the fielders. His 60 contained enough shots off the middle of the bat for him to ton up if it weren't for those pesky filed placements and bowling to a plan.

I really noticed when Nicholls came in yesterday that that his first 30 runs were quite 'easy'. Quick singles, plus piercing the field for boundaries. He then slowed up, I presume that is because they had worked out a plan for him by then.

The Aussies really are masters at drying the opposition up and forcing wickets through unrelenting pressure - backed up by well positioned fields and good fielding. Since the days of McGrath and Warne (although that's a no-brainer) but also guys with lesser reputations like Siddle, Watson, Marsh bowling with the old ball looking for a bit of reverse, if it is there, are relentless> Add Lyon at the other end and how do you score? Plus their captain doesn't have ADD and sticks to the plan.

To succeed against them, you really need 360 degree scoring options off both feet. Which NZ really only have 2 guys who can do that; Kane and Ross. Well 3 if you add Baz - (but we are back to normal baz as opposed to 2014 Baz) - so he can realistically only score at 360 degrees off both for a cameo.
Great Post.

I will add a controversial comment to stir the pot as well.

The Australians play more tests than us and hence get more experience than us. Secondly they have a greater number of very good former test players behind the scenes in their cricketing structures. For those two reasons they seem to be better at making plans.

Last edited:

Meridio

International Regular
Part of this is that Latham batted a long time. He has an amazing ability to crack the ball straight at the fielders. His 60 contained enough shots off the middle of the bat for him to ton up if it weren't for those pesky field placements and bowling to a plan.

Yes, was thinking of Latham in particular when I made that post. Anderson too, driving straight to fielders and got hit on the thigh a lot rather than glancing to fine leg.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
"Doug Bracewell has bowled brilliantly all year for us and for him to come in after sitting on the sidelines for a period of time and step up in those clutch moments is really important."

Hail to the chimp. Turn the jokey Central Districts "N.A.S.A." nickname around on itself until that chimp really believes he has an important part to play in the space race.
You just went full Kippax. Never go full Kippax.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Definitely agree with this. It's not just the NZ players hitting to the fielders in isolation. It's Australia analysing the batsman and positioning fielders to cut down scoring options, with the bowlers accurate enough to make it work.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Yes, was thinking of Latham in particular when I made that post. Anderson too, driving straight to fielders and got hit on the thigh a lot rather than glancing to fine leg.
In Adelaide test, I was fuming when Guptill and Latham spent the last hour of a daylight session cracking the balls straight at fielders for no rewards and then both capitulating as soon as dusk settled in, with terrible shots to tempters.

At the time - I really needed to give more credit to the Aussie bowlers, their plans and captaincy, and their fielding. I just didn't think they were that good back then, but they are.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
You just went full Kippax. Never go full Kippax.
Bracewell bought in in 2011, Bahnz. Done good without really knowing how. Went off the rails for a while, but these days he goes hard-out. Stamina of a silverback gorilla in the gym, retains that real chup-in collectivism and authentic humbleness that is the true way for a New Zealander to be. He's a genius.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, nothing Southee does with the bat will have the slightest influence on the result. Conditions are perfect for an entertaining 30(10).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looks like this will be over before I get back to the office. Wanted to watch the presentation and see the reaction to Voges MOTM award.

Meridio

International Regular
This test has been a bit of a throwback to the bad old days c. 2012. Williamson flirting outside off, Southee & Boult offering nothing when the ball doesn't swing, an ineffective third seamer, Guptill being Guptill, a spinner batting at number 8 who arguably offers more with the bat than the ball.

Must be time to dig up the Doom and Gloom thread.

Meridio

International Regular
That's a glorious shot by Southee. Inside out over wide mid off. Why the **** doesn't he play aggressive shots like that all the time rather than just trying to mindlessly slog?