• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
STFU Smithy you utter embarrassment, the stumps don't disappear, you have to actually hit them.

Meridio

International Regular
I was worried that I hadn't heard any declaration talk for a while, so I'm very glad they've brought that up.

Seriously, why the hell would Aus declare now?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Also Bracewell. They're going to go calling him unlucky and want to retain him, but when there was seam movement on day 1 I was wishing for Henry and when it was flat yesterday I was wishing for Wagner. Can always bring Wagner in for Craig, but I'd prefer both.
Yeah the constant whines from Flem and Ian Smith about how well Doug's bowling and how unlucky he's been are becoming really tired at this point. Truth is he's an average domestic journeyman who doesn't have the height, pace, swing, bounce or even really the control needed to make a go of it at this level. Throw in his constant no-balling (which absolutely would've contributed to Voges reprieve) and his dreadful underachievement with the bat, and his continued retention in the side has become farcical at this point. Yes he's had his moments of bad luck this season. But you can say the same for Boult and Southee in the past, the diference was that they were good enough to keep creating opportunities. Bracewell isn't.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah the constant whines from Flem and Ian Smith about how well Doug's bowling and how unlucky he's been are becoming really tired at this point. Truth is he's an average domestic journeyman who doesn't have the height, pace, swing, bounce or even really the control needed to make a go of it at this level. Throw in his constant no-balling (which absolutely would've contributed to Voges reprieve) and his dreadful underachievement with the bat, and his continued retention in the side has become farcical at this point. Yes he's had his moments of bad luck this season. But you can say the same for Boult and Southee in the past, the diference was that they were good enough to keep creating opportunities. Bracewell isn't.
pull the other one. this was certainly true in his first stint in the side. since then he's still been our best bowler against australia when it isn't hooping for the northern nancy boys:)

Zinzan

Is Smithy just too much part of the SKY furniture these days for anyone to tell him he suddenly makes Ian Healy seem like the most fair, impartial & articulate commentator going around?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
pull the other one. this was certainly true in his first stint in the side. since then he's still been our best bowler against australia when it isn't hooping for the northern nancy boys:)
Even when he's bowling well all he's really doing is performing the same sort of role that Nathan Astle did in the 90's - keeping it tight and hoping that the batsmen gets frustrated and does something stupid.

Zinzan

Don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but let's not pretend Southee fan-bois don't do exactly the same with him. The amount of times I hear Southee was incredibly unlucky to average 60 with the ball in such & such a series because he's always apparently bowls without luck is at least up with anything you hear about Bracewell.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah the constant whines from Flem and Ian Smith about how well Doug's bowling and how unlucky he's been are becoming really tired at this point.
awta. 'Surely a bagful is coming' says Smith for the dozenth time.

Truth is he's an average domestic journeyman who doesn't have the height, pace, swing, bounce or even really the control needed to make a go of it at this level. Throw in his constant no-balling (which absolutely would've contributed to Voges reprieve) and his dreadful underachievement with the bat, and his continued retention in the side has become farcical at this point. Yes he's had his moments of bad luck this season. But you can say the same for Boult and Southee in the past, the diference was that they were good enough to keep creating opportunities. Bracewell isn't.
This is on point even if a little harsh. I think Bracewell's at best a fourth seamer in a side with Santner as spinner - I really don't like him as third seamer and especially not alongside Craig as spinner.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but let's not pretend Southee fan-bois don't do exactly the same with him. The amount of times I hear Southee was incredibly unlucky to average 60 with the ball in such & such a series because he's always apparently bowls without luck is at least up with anything you hear about Bracewell.
Without swing Southee really hasn't been a whole lot better than Bracewell this test. They've tried a similar approach to getting wickets - patience and accuracy. Southee generally does it better obviously.

So if Southee's reduced to doing that role then why not get someone like Wagner for something different?

Zinzan

** me he's a clean ball-striker Voges & now he's gone...

Is that a record no of caught and bowls?