• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Siddle just needs to score a further 6013 runs without being dismissed and he will have an average of 100 too.

Terrific work from Voges, Khawaja too.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Also in terms of fringe players who have really taken their chance, is he better than Hussey?

Streets ahead of Jaques, Love and Hodge.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strange KV seems to have retreated. Possibly reviewing his weird theories with some adjusted formulas.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Also in terms of fringe players who have really taken their chance, is he better than Hussey?

Don't think so, Hussey had a legitimately significant career in multiple formats. Scored more test runs than Michael Slater and Adam Gilchrist. But certainly one of the best late career debutants ever.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I think he's far more impressive in that he went from an okay shield player averaging just around 40 to god mode where most players would be degenerating at his age.

NZTailender

I think he's far more impressive in that he went from an okay shield player averaging just around 40 to god mode where most players would be degenerating at his age.
tbf he's filled his boots against a minnow and the West Indies.

I'm reserving judgement till he's toured a few other countries.

Gnske

tbf he's filled his boots against a minnow and the West Indies
Hussey didn't face too great attacks either, WI at home for debut, a bland SA attack to follow, Bangladesh, the minnows of 06/07 then Sri Lanka (and NZ?)

But like Voges, he played some pretty excellent knocks.

vandem

International 12th Man
Voges is only in "god mode" against test teams currently ranked 6 and 8 in the world. Against top 5 teams he averages 28 (from one Ashes series).

Gnske

Voges is only in "god mode" against test teams currently ranked 6 and 8 in the world. Against top 5 teams he averages 28 (from one Ashes series).
Not everyone can be Mark Taylor

Besides no one cares about an away Ashes

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think the "god mode" includes the last year and a bit of domestic cricket as well where he was dominant. He just went from being a good but not amazing domestic batsman to a very, very good one later in his career. Similar to Hussey really, just a bit later on.

cnerd123

likes this
You people are making it sound like Voges has been the only batsman who has gotten to face WI's and NZ's bowling in the last year or so.

If it really was that easy then the entire Australian batting lineup would be averaging 100+ for the last year or so. But they aren't. Only Voges is. Give the man some credit.

NZTailender

Hussey didn't face too great attacks either, WI at home for debut, a bland SA attack to follow, Bangladesh, the minnows of 06/07 then Sri Lanka (and NZ?)

But like Voges, he played some pretty excellent knocks.
Averaged 25 vs NZ tbf

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
crazy how one moment can change a game. if one moment had just favoured NZ this could be totally totally different. Thank god for Peter Nevill's catch of the century

vandem

International 12th Man
You people are making it sound like Voges has been the only batsman who has gotten to face WI's and NZ's bowling in the last year or so.

If it really was that easy then the entire Australian batting lineup would be averaging 100+ for the last year or so. But they aren't. Only Voges is. Give the man some credit.
Aust batting averages vs NZ and WI this season, including 1st innings here:

Warner, 823 runs @ 82
Khawaja 644 runs @ 128
SMarsh 233 runs @ 77
Smith 566 runs @ 70

Voges bats lower in the order than these.

He's playing well but there is an element of downhill skiing in all of his centuries apart from his match-winning debut innings in WI.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Strange KV seems to have retreated. Possibly reviewing his weird theories with some adjusted formulas.
Lost interest in the Test after the Voges dismissal. If an umpire can gift a team 150+ runs then it's a contest of luck and not of skill.