• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If it'll seam on the first day and then flatten then it's a no brainer to bowl first surely
not sure whether it'll seam today tbh. And it doesn't feel like a day that'll swing (being a Wellingtonian).
Absolutely right.

I don't know if it'll seam, they've left grass on it but I don't think it'll be moist underneath or be so furry that balls are going to jag all over the place. It's more one of those days where the bounce is at its most ideal, if it's a swinging day the ball will stay new etc. Doug might get a few to jag but the others aren't particularly guys who hit the strings, they do it through the air. I'd be excited about the fact it's going to come through with good pace and bounce, therefore you can toss it up a bit more and see if guys want to drive.

But if it doesn't feel like a swing day, that's a little bit concerning.
If it doesn't feel like it'll swing and instead really feels like a batting day then it's not unreasonable to bat first. No guarantees batting will get steadily easier as the match progresses when atmospheric conditions tomorrow or the next day might be great for swing bowling.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If it doesn't feel like it'll swing and instead really feels like a batting day then it's not unreasonable to bat first. No guarantees batting will get steadily easier as the match progresses when atmospheric conditions tomorrow or the next day might be great for swing bowling.
yeah that was what I was trying to say.

The test vs the Windies being the prime example (although tbf they bowled rubbish and caught worse)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I hadn't considered it not swinging at the time I posted the majority of it.

It's a really hard one. If you had a top order that you felt was more than capable of giving the 1st/2nd session to the opposition if it got tricky on the first morning, you'd have the belief to bat. I'd be very surprised if Brendon does feel that way. Kane aside, that is a very milky top 6 when it comes to batting in conditions where you need to leave very well, be prepared to be beaten and resist the temptation to score at times.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Not that we ever should've wasted our time considering what Brendon would do if he won a toss (or they didn't win it, I guess in this instance)

Hazelwood is going to be a real handful this morning.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
None of this Hazlewood this, Siddle that. All three seamers are going to be huge threats for the first hour or two.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Part 1 of the Baz career highlights package complete. Now for a 40 ball 60 in the first innings and a single figure score in the second. Jonbrooks will have gnashed his teeth into stumps by the end of this series.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
It's a really hard one. If you had a top order that you felt was more than capable of giving the 1st/2nd session to the opposition if it got tricky on the first morning, you'd have the belief to bat. I'd be very surprised if Brendon does feel that way. Kane aside, that is a very milky top 6 when it comes to batting in conditions where you need to leave very well, be prepared to be beaten and resist the temptation to score at times.
Yeah, this.