• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricrate: new cricket ratings website

viriya

International Captain
Root's hunderd in 3rd Test was in incredibly difficult situation, where AB failed - as was his hundred at Trent Bridge given the conditions.
I'm not denying that, that's why after that test Root went from 870 -> 925 and AB went from 1086 -> 1015. The current rating system gives more value to recent form, but it still takes past performances into account, and AB has been ATG level for years now so his recent slump isn't going to drop him like a stone. If Root has a great performance in his next Test he will jump to #1 - that's the case for Kane/AB as well.

91Jmay

International Coach
Root has been better than AB for at least 12 months (probably 18), and scored more important runs in that time as well.

viriya

International Captain
Root has been better than AB for at least 12 months (probably 18), and scored more important runs in that time as well.
I think if you're arguing in terms of the amount of runs I agree, but AB has been SA's lone performer in recent months which helps him in the rating system.. for example he made a couple of 40s in a recent India test that were rated as high as two tons considering how he played a lone hand. I'm not saying Root didn't have important contributions, just that AB's average during the last year or so has been deceiving, he hasn't been that much worse than Root, and AB has better historical weight just based on career length.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying AB is ahead of Root atm - only 9 points separate them which is basically insignificant. I don't consider anything <100 points as conclusive.

91Jmay

International Coach
AB's 40s shouldn't be rated that high, he shouldn't get more credit for his teammates being historically bad. Some of his dismissals that series were incredibly bad as well.

viriya

International Captain
AB's 40s shouldn't be rated that high, he shouldn't get more credit for his teammates being historically bad. Some of his dismissals that series were incredibly bad as well.
I watched the whole series and he looked a class apart. The system is designed to help players who do well with no support since it's clearly harder to make a big score in those situations. I think it can be argued that his 40s there were worth almost a ton.

If those types of innings aren't rated higher players like Lara or Andy Flower would be unfairly penalized for almost never having support in their careers.

91Jmay

International Coach
If those 40s had contributed to anything meaningful maybe but they didn't. They were essentially worthless knocks.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, AB's runs in the India series were definitely awesome. He was a step above his teammates, and most of the Indian batsmen as well. Tough pitches, team getting hammered, and he stood up repeatedly.

91Jmay

International Coach
He scored a couple of 40s (which if his teammates had stood up would still have had no impact on the game) sprinkled in amongst some atrocious innings/dismissals.

viriya

International Captain
T20I Update:

- South Africa replaces Sri Lanka at top, Australia drops out of top 5: cricrate | Current T20I Team Rankings
- Kane reaches top 5, Hamilton Mazakadza jumps to top 10, Angelo reaches top 10, Shakib drops: cricrate | Current Top T20I Batsmen
- Kohli jumps to top 5, Angelo reaches top 10: cricrate | Best T20I Batting Careers
- Malcolm Waller with #4, Tanzir with #13, Angelo with #21, Watson with #29: cricrate | Best T20I Batting Performances
- Graeme Cremer jumps to top 10, Umar Gul drops out, Ashwin with #2 all-time rating: cricrate | Current Top T20I Bowlers
- Malinga reaches top 10: cricrate | Best T20I Bowling Careers
- Albie Morkel with #39, Ashwin with #41: cricrate | Best T20I Bowling Performances
- Afridi replaces Shakib at top, Watson jumps to top 5: cricrate | Current Top ODI All-Rounders
- Mortaza reaches top 10, Angelo drops out: cricrate | Best T20I All-Round Careers
- Watson with #13, Corey Anderson with #18, Shoaib Malik with #47, Afridi with #51: cricrate | Best T20I All-Round Performances

Fun fact: Aus have lost more T20Is overall than won.

Last edited:

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
I feel like your T20 individual performance ratings for batsmen overrate innings where none of the other batsman do anything, looking at the scores in that list and the situations where they were scored.

viriya

International Captain
I feel like your T20 individual performance ratings for batsmen overrate innings where none of the other batsman do anything, looking at the scores in that list and the situations where they were scored.
Yes, I think I am giving too much credit to the "Point of Entry" and "Wickets at crease" factors for T20s. In general, since the format is so short they don't matter as much as in ODIs/Tests.

91Jmay

International Coach
Would say that for players lower down the order wickets at the crease factor should be almost nothing (say after over 15 for e.g).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, I think I am giving too much credit to the "Point of Entry" and "Wickets at crease" factors for T20s. In general, since the format is so short they don't matter as much as in ODIs/Tests.
Yeah I'd almost think about getting rid of that factor altogether in T20. Maybe just making it count for much less would be wise though.

viriya

International Captain
@91JMay good point - I think it would make sense to have decreasing values for wickets at crease the further down the order you are. So a #5 doesn't get the same credit for the wickets that fall when he's at crease as an opener would.

viriya

International Captain
Also a good change for Tests + ODIs as well - might have "fix" the relative overvaluation of middle order batsmen that's happening right now.

91Jmay

International Coach
@91JMay good point - I think it would make sense to have decreasing values for wickets at crease the further down the order you are. So a #5 doesn't get the same credit for the wickets that fall when he's at crease as an opener would.
Working in overs might help as well?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Standard Daemon answer. Either declare someone a troll or that they didn't watch the series. Bore off ****wit.
If you did, did you miss out on the two 50+ scores he made? Because saying "He scored a couple of 40s (which if his teammates had stood up would still have had no impact on the game) sprinkled in amongst some atrocious innings/dismissals" either implies you did or that you consider them atrocious innings.

Furthermore, if his team mates had stood up in the game he scored his 40s in, there would've been a draw instead of a loss. Let me remind you, in case you watched the match and have simply forgotten, that SA was only 5 down when Tea on Day 5 rolled around.

Last edited: