• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in New Zealand - T20/ODI series - Jan 2016

Athlai

Not Terrible
Because at the time he was dropped he had actually been our most consistent ODI bat. IIRC a few senior players were out injured and/or not performing and he was doing a pretty good job.

He wasn't our best but he was performing better than anyone else at that time. The fact that the bar was extremely low is why I deemed the point hyperbole - not because it was untrue but because it wasn't really a fair representation.
This is not true. He had plenty of low scores in a row and was then dropped.

Edit: And his SR was even worse then I remembered.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...=2;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

Had a fine 2012 but was looking absolutely dreadful when he was dropped.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Athlai

Not Terrible
Watling has the weirdest ODI stats. It's literally backwards.

- Has lost 75% of the ODIs he has played
- Bats better in losses than wins (31.53 vs. 23.60)
- Bats better with the gloves than without (51.28 vs. 15.36)
- Bats better away (36.85 vs. 3.33)
- Has significantly better stats @ 6 than in the top order (63.66 vs. 22.47)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
But we DO know how good Watling can be at ODI level.

We know because he was our best ODI bat at the time he was dropped.

Hyperbole, sure, but he absolutely can fill that Grant Elliott role at 5. Sure, Grunter added some t20 slogging ability late in his career, but you'd back Watling to do the same if asked as well.
But the thing is, he was batting at 1-2-3 when he was the best in the side. That's not available. And I have serious doubts he can be the player Grant Elliott is. I'm sure those doubts are shared by a lot of others.

I think back then after failures in SA, v Eng at home I thought he was slightly harshly dropped. But results after that showed it to be a wise decision, and he hasn't demanded reselection.

And Athlai's stats with a 75% losing percentage and higher average in losses...that's not good reading, even if you don't think we were a flash side then.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I would quite like Watling as a floater to bat 5 and play that Henry Nicholls type of innings if required or drop down to let the hitters 'finish' if required.

Latham
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Watling wk (but can drop down)
Anderson
Munro
Santner
Henry
Milne
Boult

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Because at the time he was dropped he had actually been our most consistent ODI bat. IIRC a few senior players were out injured and/or not performing and he was doing a pretty good job.

He wasn't our best but he was performing better than anyone else at that time. The fact that the bar was extremely low is why I deemed the point hyperbole - not because it was untrue but because it wasn't really a fair representation.
Yeah, neither of these statements are true, even if you ignore the dramatic tailing off in his form in the leadup to his axing.

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

First of all, the argument that he was our most consistent ODI bat at the time that he was dropped is a bit feeble. His scores during this period clearly show that he experienced excellent form during the 2nd half of 2012, and very poor form in the first half of 2013 (of which only 2 were low scoring matches).

Secondly, Watling's numbers during this period were more or less on par with KW's (who had slightly lower average but a superior SR), and lower than Taylor's (who admittedly missed the SA ODI's - though that was already after Watling's form had already fallen away). McCullum also posted similar numbers during this period at a vastly superior SR.

Watling really deserved to be persevered with for longer in 2013, and deserves another run in the side now. But arguing that he "our best ODI bat at the time he was dropped", given his poor strike rate (barely 4rpo) and rapid drop in form is ott in the extreme.

Flem274*

123/5
He was in the middle order (#4 a few times iirc when we had a pile of injuries and restings) when he was the stand out, anchoring the inevitable collapse as the spud reserves played golf at the other end really badly. This was during the ten million odi tours in the middle of winter at midnight phase where jow public didn't care so nz took the piss with their selections.

When we were full strength against England he had to open because at the time that was the available spot and he sucked. Then he got dropped.

I'd like to see him tried at #5 looking towards 2019

Athlai

Not Terrible
He was in the middle order (#4 a few times iirc when we had a pile of injuries and restings) when he was the stand out, anchoring the inevitable collapse as the spud reserves played golf at the other end really badly. This was during the ten million odi tours in the middle of winter at midnight phase where jow public didn't care so nz took the piss with their selections.

When we were full strength against England he had to open because at the time that was the available spot and he sucked. Then he got dropped.

Watling has never batted at #4 for NZ.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah bingo. I think it really works too because the younger allrounders are more icing-ish than Elliott. So Watling does Elliott's batting role and Ronchi's keeping role, and one of the young allrounders (Anderson if Santner continues to bat in the top 7, or Neesham/Munro if Santner goes back down to 8) do Ronchi's batting role and Elliott's bowling role.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The fact that it was a postage stamp is more mitigating than the opposition. I think I remember watching that game.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I watched a bit of that series too; when Macewell was compiling the worst hundred known to man and Luggage was batting exactly the same way he always does, Beej was finding a way to middle seemingly everything.

But seriously, that Macewell ton was pretty much the worst thing I've ever seen. So, so bad.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I hope we replace him with a legit great bowler. Our bowlers seemed at their best when Bond and previously Donald had worked with them.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Haven't been entirely sold on the Mascarenhas and McMillan combo. Not that I really know anything beyond the on-field results. Our bowling plans have just been a bit underwhelming and I think McMillan is responsible for the YOLO attitude of the tail's batting.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Get Vaas post-T20 WC imo. Southee/Boult were gun in SL 2012 when Vaas was assisting Bond.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Get Vaas post-T20 WC imo. Southee/Boult were gun in SL 2012 when Vaas was assisting Bond.
I think you're not reading between the lines:

"Need to prioritise the family" = "they're not paying me enough".
And the family thing is actually legit considering the only less isolated place in the world would be Antarctica.

I think he's likely gunning for an IPL contract and/or a county role. Hell even Big Bash coaching probably pays more.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

It probably could work with him at #5 going forward. But I'd want a few provisos. One is that it's his position until 2019, unless he was absolutely horrendous for a long period of time. Secondly, that he just doesn't blindly come in at 5 every time. If it's the powerplay, latter overs, a chase where impetus is needed etc, he gets out of the way.

With Anderson, Munro, Neesham whomever at 6 and 7, it does make some sense. We'd just have to concede that it's a work in progress and it's not going to bear fruit right away. BJ is not equipped to be a great #5 right now. He could possibly (only possibly) become one. I'm okay with that because a) he's proven in his career to be adaptable, a great team man etc b) I don't generally care about meaningless ODI series' between WCs (unless it is v the singing canaries across the ditch) and c) there is absolutely nothing else to nurture with the gloves. And consistently being exposed to international cricket may maximise his Test worth.

But still, Latham with the gloves is probably a better move.