• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Hales should go for it and rest block. Hales won't survive blocking and him scoring quickly could put pressure onto SAs and get some catchers away from the bat.
Hales' best knock of the series came when he was extremely circumspect on the Cape Town featherbed. Perhaps Hales in Compton mode could go a long way to saving the game.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hales' best knock of the series came when he was extremely circumspect on the Cape Town featherbed. Perhaps Hales in Compton mode could go a long way to saving the game.
Problem for Hales is regardless what he does he must not fail... If he goes for it loses his wicket early, people will say he should have blocked, and if he blocks and gets out, people will say he should have gone for it... so all he has to do is not fail and English supporters will be happy.

Looking at weather forecast I can see going off for light sometime soon after 5, definitely won't make it till 6 thus max 25 overs left in the day at this stage. Will start early tomorrow though...

Last edited:

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Pundits even entertaining the possibility of a chase. England are one of the worst chasing teams in history. It would be their record 4th innings chase. Stick to your strength. The only way to aid SA is to lose wickets in a fruitless chase.

Compton

International Debutant
England's batting line up should be good enough to block out a draw.

Cook and Compton are tailor-made for it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't see that one coming this side of 3 figures.

Hopefully de Kock is under instructions to enjoy himself out there.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aw twin tons would've been great. Wonderful come back from him this series.

Bit of a shame for SA though that their two best bats have been taking turns being rubbish in the last few months.

Stapel

International Regular
Problem for Hales is regardless what he does he must not fail... If he goes for it loses his wicket early, people will say he should have blocked, and if he blocks and gets out, people will say he should have gone for it... so all he has to do is not fail and English supporters will be happy.

Looking at weather forecast I can see going off for light sometime soon after 5, definitely won't make it till 6 thus max 25 overs left in the day at this stage. Will start early tomorrow though...
Though I agree this is what 'people' will think, it is not necesarily what Trevor B thinks. Maybe he will indeed ask from Hales what 91JMay suggested. And forgive him if he gets out slogging for hardly anything.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Though I agree this is what 'people' will think, it is not necesarily the what Trevor B thinks. Maybe he will indeed ask from Hales what 91JMay suggested. And forgive him if he gets out slogging for hardly anything.
From an outsiders point of view I think that he should definitely be given another series.... but I was one of the people who thought we should stick with van Zyl and S.Cook proved me totally wrong. So what do I know...

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Be a right balls up if they don't get back on and England have 98 overs tomorrow to chase 382. Shut up shop straight away and back themselves to come away with 2-0 and a very satisfactory tour.

91Jmay

International Coach
I reckon they will get back on, will surely declare now though? Feel sorry for Bavuma to miss out on a ton, but he batted really well. Looks a class player.