• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Gob

International Coach
Unless the wicket absolutely screams "greentop" ala Hobart 2011, I wouldn't be dropping MMarsh for the extra batsman. The NZ wickets which have offered plently of assistance in recent times have generally done so only on day one. As I recall, MMarsh was a handful for the NZ batsmen in the November series.
With the ball yes but his batting on a wicket like that won't yield a run imo

Blanco

Cricket Spectator
Yes. He made a hundred on that Centurion pitch and more recently he made 49 and looked all class in Adelaide when it was hooping around and without that knock the NZ series should have been 1-1.

What i meant by being 'flexible with the all rounder policy' is that they should pick the team according to the conditions. The reason they are so persistent on picking an all rounder is that they wan't to share the bowling workload of the quicks but if the pitch turns out to be a good one for bowling, Aust may not need to bowl the 4th seamer at all but they would need all the batting they can get in such conditions specially considering some recent diabolical performances on helpful decks. Shaun is a vastly superior batsman to Mitchell so i'd pick him. I'd really like to see MMarsh developing in to a good batsman but i like to see Aust picking the right team a bit more
I beg to differ I think on seam friendly pitches having a Mitch Marsh/ Stokes option avoids letting the batsman "off the hook" by bowling the spinner. Also Haz and Patto are young, we shouldn't be force to over bowl them.Mitch Marsh is a batsman first and fore most and a bowler second and no Shaun is not a vastly superior batsman to him. Not too long go fans were saying Shaun is not good enough, If there was a reliable batsman kept on the bench because of MMarsh I might agree but Shaun is not that let us not get carried away here. A few good knocks against poor bowling doesn't make a good batsman.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yes. He made a hundred on that Centurion pitch and more recently he made 49 and looked all class in Adelaide when it was hooping around and without that knock the NZ series should have been 1-1.

What i meant by being 'flexible with the all rounder policy' is that they should pick the team according to the conditions. The reason they are so persistent on picking an all rounder is that they wan't to share the bowling workload of the quicks but if the pitch turns out to be a good one for bowling, Aust may not need to bowl the 4th seamer at all but they would need all the batting they can get in such conditions specially considering some recent diabolical performances on helpful decks. Shaun is a vastly superior batsman to Mitchell so i'd pick him. I'd really like to see MMarsh developing in to a good batsman but i like to see Aust picking the right team a bit more
Nah if the pitch is seam-friendly I definitely want the extra quick.

Gob

International Coach
I beg to differ I think on seam friendly pitches having a Mitch Marsh/ Stokes option avoids letting the batsman "off the hook" by bowling the spinner. Also Haz and Patto are young, we shouldn't be force to over bowl them.
That's the point. The inning won't last long enough on a seaming pitch for them to be over bowled
.Mitch Marsh is a batsman first and fore most and a bowler second and no Shaun is not a vastly superior batsman to him.
Just because MMarsh is a batsman first and fore most does not mean that he is as good or better than his brother. I think there is a significant gulf between the two with the bat. SMarsh averages 39 and 37 respectively in FC and Test cricket while for MMarsh its 31 and 24
Not too long go fans were saying Shaun is not good enough, If there was a reliable batsman kept on the bench because of MMarsh I might agree but Shaun is not that let us not get carried away here. A few good knocks against poor bowling doesn't make a good batsman.
I'm not saying Shaun marsh is a great batsman but he is close to being the best test batsman outside the test side right now and has been scoring runs whenever he got the chance. And whats poor bowling? Centurion hundred came against Dale Steyn and Boult was close to his best in Adelaide

Gob

International Coach
That's the point. The inning won't last long enough on a seaming pitch for them to be over bowled
Just because MMarsh is a batsman first and fore most does not mean that he is as good or better than his brother. I think there is a significant gulf between the two with the bat. SMarsh averages 39 and 37 respectively in FC and Test cricket while for MMarsh its 31 and 24
I'm not saying Shaun marsh is a great batsman but he is close to being the best test batsman outside the test side right now and has been scoring runs whenever he got the chance. And whats poor bowling? Centurion hundred came against Dale Steyn and Boult was close to his best in Adelaide
Also in before 'Hey Shaun Marsh' from Gnske

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Shaun is a strange case. Has played some knocks that are gun by any standard and seemed a walking wicket at other times.

I suspect there's a lot of frustration around the fact that a player with a middling record like him (who would have been a fair way down the list around 7 years ago) continues to be on the cusp of selection even at the age of 32. Basically he comes across as a bit of a scapegoat for the recent problems around Australia's not-so-great batting depth, though i could be reading that wrong.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
It seems the selectors are picking MMarsh with the hope he will do a Steve Waugh. I think the amount of cricket these days is going to prevent Mitch from playing Shield games and if his batting is to improve he needs to be batting in the top order in FC cricket. He might have a sudden break out performance during a test which is the obvious hope but he either comes in at 4/400 or 4/40. Having him spend a season in the Shield batting might be what he needs long term.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is a really, really dangerous assumption IMO.

Also you're make a hell of a lot out of a 49 or whatever it was.

Compton

International Debutant
I can't believe Shaun Marsh is anyone's next cab off the rank for a spot as batsman.

He's a hack, he's had countless chances, and he's useless on anything that isn't a road. There's probably a dozen better options.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Corey hasn't even played in Australia or South Africa so yes very fair goal posts. Let's compare the countries they have both played in:

Corey in England 38 (admittedly only two innings)
In New Zealand 29

Dean in England 13.75
In New Zealand 22

The telling stat is the in New Zealand as that is where this series will be played. Dean's High Score is 36 in 7 innings.

Where do you even come up with comments like "let's not even pretend the two batsman are in the same ball park". They are in the same ball park. They are similar players skill wise. Corey is younger and hasn't fully reached his peak yet so you pick him.

I get the feeling since people just finished watching him score 85 of 40 deliveries that people think he can't play a test match inning. The recency effect. 50% of my opinion is based on my last impression.
lol horrible cherry picking analysis. That 2013 tour was a ****ing shambles for our batsmen. Brownlie failed yet still averaged more then McCullum, Guptill and Fulton. The only person of ours to average over 30 on that tour was The Boss. I don't see Anderson averaging 20+ in that series; we were just annihilated.

I don't see how you can discount Brownlie's finest moments, away in two of the hardest places to tour as a rule - Australia and South Africa where he averaged 65 and 43 respectively. I mean that South Africa tour was worse than the England one.

By comparison Anderson's away century is in Bangladesh. As much as we struggled in that series too, that's not a patch on a century vs Steyn in his backyard.

Obviously Anderson has more potential by virtue that he's younger and he's been tipped for higher honours since youth. He's 25, still very young with another 10 years to play if he doesn't succumb to injury. But he could very easily start becoming a Moises Henriques type (who could still have an okay Test career) of middling but not spectacular returns. I'd back Brownlie to score more runs than Anderson if they were both picked vs Australia for this series.

Gob

International Coach
This is a really, really dangerous assumption IMO.

Also you're make a hell of a lot out of a 49 or whatever it was.
That knock worth a hundred imo. The ball was hooping around for Boult and knowing Australia's ability to collapse in a heap and the low scoring nature of the match, that really was match winning.The conditions in NZ would be quite slimier. I genuinely believe that he will ad much more with the bat than MMarsh which will eventually be more valuable than MMarsh's bowling input in such conditions.

I can't believe Shaun Marsh is anyone's next cab off the rank for a spot as batsman.

He's a hack, he's had countless chances, and he's useless on anything that isn't a road. There's probably a dozen better options.
Like the centurion ton? Look if you don't have anything useful to add its always better off just shutting it without making ludicrous comments

Spark

Global Moderator
That knock worth a hundred imo. The ball was hooping around for Boult and knowing Australia's ability to collapse in a heap and the low scoring nature of the match, that really was match winning.The conditions in NZ would be quite slimier. I genuinely believe that he will ad much more with the bat than MMarsh which will eventually be more valuable than MMarsh's bowling input in such conditions.
It's still only 49. Quantity has a quality all of its own. It's not like the pitch was completely unplayable, like that WI deck a decade back where Dravid got two 50s and everyone else got ****-all.

Also worth noting that MMarsh's bowling was extremely useful in that match, particularly in the second innings. The balance of the side just looks so much better with an all-rounder, especially when we have quicks who are prone to fatigue and don't respond well to getting overloaded.

You guys aren't touring in 1998
Yeah indeed. I've seen some reasonable decks in NZ for seamers and swinging conditions, but I've also seen a fair share of roads.

91Jmay

International Coach
There isn't many countries in world cricket that don't have at least 50% of their home grounds as pretty ****ing flat currently.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Like the centurion ton? Look if you don't have anything useful to add its always better off just shutting it without making ludicrous comments
I think I found Brayshaw's account

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Meanwhile the ODI squad has been announced

Australia ODI squad (to play New Zealand): Steve Smith (c), David Warner, George Bailey, Scott Boland, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, John Hastings, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, Matthew Wade, Adam Zampa.

Good that we've kept such a worthy asset like Boland, and let a man who can't score anything less than 50 right now be denied from the squad.

Blanco

Cricket Spectator
Can anyone enlighten me as to why Lynn is not in the squad. I rate Zampa as the most talented of the young Aussie leggie I have seen, however I don't think he should be in the odi squad.

On the topic of MMarsh and test I think Australia just look a better team at present, more balance with the all- rounder. I see absolutely no reason to change a successful team. He is a very useful bowler and think he could definitely reach the stage where he could come on first change. Just watching him during the hundred it was like glimpses of Gilly in full flight. Listening to people on here you would think he has played 25 test or something.

Compton

International Debutant
Let me re-phrase. A talented hack that couldn't spell 'consistency' but managed to make decent totals every now and again to make people think he might have what it takes to hold a test spot that he's had plenty of chances to make his own.

He's a backwards step, an option that's been done to death without any signs that it's the right one.

And with regards to Centurion; Alex Doolan made an 89 in that game. Using your "Marsh hit a 49 and apparently that's a good thing" logic, Doolan's probably a test-quality batsman too.

Shaun Marsh shouldn't even be considered at this stage.