• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
It'll be interesting to see how his bowling kicks on, he's definitely a weapon with the ball now but regardless of his good games he seems to struggle to average under 40 for any length of time.
He is more likely to pitch it up when we're all screaming they're bowling a yard to short and go for runs that way. He's got all the tools though.

His batting average will IMO cross streams with his bowling one this summer though.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Will be a fantastic moment if Cook can get his 10k tomorrow, even if it will be mostly about saving the match at this point.

Need to bat more or less all day on a pitch that is starting to misbehave. Looks like SA have a brilliant score first up now.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Will be a fantastic moment if Cook can get his 10k tomorrow, even if it will be mostly about saving the match at this point.

Need to bat more or less all day on a pitch that is starting to misbehave. Looks like SA have a brilliant score first up now.
I'd be thinking positively about the win tbh. Although stage 1 in winning involves batting through tomorrow with as little damage as possible to the wickets lost column so see where you're coming from.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Morkel needs to get his act together. Another disappointing performance from the guy that is suppose to lead the attack. Thought all 3 of radaba,abbot and piedt were good.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Pity Cook is already 33.. Wonder what took so long.
He had gibbs,smith,alviro pietersen,neil mckenzie and jacques rudolph. With the exception of rudolph all the others did a decent to great job as openers.

He should have gotten his chance when smith and pietersen retired thought.

Stapel

International Regular
Tipping us to win by an innings here
I seriously think that is more likely than most probably think it is. Not saying it is quite likely, but I can see how, after these two batting on for a while, the English middle and lower order smash them to a sizeable lead. The Compton dismissal has lured us to think the pitch is wildly misbehaving. But that ball was a bit off an exception, imho.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Tipping us to win by an innings here
Well if that happens your early prediction could have come true if England took the dropped chances in the drawn Test.

I want it on record that it was me, GIMH, who broke the news of Ian Bell's retirement. This is the second thread Black Warrior :p

Anyway. Tipping England to win 2-1.

LOL yeah right!

4-0 to England. World domination starts now.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I seriously think that is more likely than most probably think it is. Not saying it is quite likely, but I can see how, after these two batting on for a while, the English middle and lower order smash them to a sizeable lead. The Compton dismissal has lured us to think the pitch is wildly misbehaving. But that ball was a bit off an exception, imho.
It was weird. Compo got a grubber and then Root had a wide one first up but that was about it.

It's not going to flatten out though but should be ok (but not a road) for batting tomorrow. All bets are off 4&5 though!

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It'll be interesting to see how his bowling kicks on, he's definitely a weapon with the ball now but regardless of his good games he seems to struggle to average under 40 for any length of time.
This has been comfortably his best series with the ball, don't think that average will get back up to 40 again.

I fear that they will keep Hales around for the start of the summer but he really should be gone. Time for Root to go to 3, Compton can open. Vince at 4, Taylor 5. Ballance the other obvious option, although I would not actually hate Bell back at 5.

grecian

This has been comfortably his best series with the ball, don't think that average will get back up to 40 again.

I fear that they will keep Hales around for the start of the summer but he really should be gone. Time for Root to go to 3, Compton can open. Vince at 4, Taylor 5. Ballance the other obvious option, although I would not actually hate Bell back at 5.

NO, don't **** with the best thing in our side, remember when he opened. I'd rather we kept with Hales for a few series that that. I know it's only you trying to work Vince into the side, but it's just madness.

Pothas

People said this when he moved to 4 and it has worked out fine, honestly Root would be a great 3. He would probably make a bloody good opener as well, he is a much better player now.

As it happens Vince was batting 3 for Hampshire at the latter end of last season (when he actually made some runs) so maybe he can just come in at 3.

grecian

People said this when he moved to 4 and it has worked out fine, honestly Root would be a great 3. He would probably make a bloody good opener as well, he is a much better player now.

As it happens Vince was batting 3 for Hampshire at the latter end of last season (when he actually made some runs) so maybe he can just come in at 3.
When did people say that when he moved to 4?

Actually I'd have no problem with Vince as opener. I'm just so wary of changing Root ATM, for my entire lifetime we have not had a player average in the 50s in their career, someone who could truly be considered best in the World, let Root do what he does please, muck around with the peasants.

Pothas

I am sure there was some 'don't move Root he is our best player' talk.

I understand the concern but I just think he would be just as great at 3.

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
I am sure there was some 'don't move Root he is our best player' talk.

I understand the concern but I just think he would be just as great at 3.
With England having a pretty shaky opening partnership, could Root at number 3 not be subject to 'anyone can receive a good ball in the opening ten overs' and leave us 15-2 with Root already in the shed. I'd rather us be 15-2 and still have him to come.

Pothas

He could then get a good ball and we are 15-3.

Root at 4 is great but as others have mentioned we have lots of option in the middle order but not much at all at the top. Think it is worth the risk.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Why would you mess with something is working on your side? If root fails at 3 and the new number fails and compton as opener you are stuck with 3 problems. Instead of just leaving root at 4 where you know he is good and trying compton as an opener and looking for another 3 .