• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Botham is generally so poorly informed about happenings in cricket, that even when he starts making half a decent point, he ruins it eventually.

91Jmay

International Coach
Haven't watched a ball but seems like classic England in a dead rubber. Shocking bowling/fielding performance, and Woakes likely played his last test. Shame but he never took any of his chances.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
I think the risk taken to appoint Graeme Smith the test captain when he was 23 was a moment of brilliance... Wonder if we will ever have something similar.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the risk taken to appoint Graeme Smith the test captain when he was 23 was a moment of brilliance... Wonder if we will ever have something similar.
I think it was a gamble that paid off precisely because of persistence and patience shown by the management. Under Smith, South Africa had dark periods too from 03 to up to 07.
It was only post 07 WC with the emergence of a core group of players under Smith, that the team began to click. It takes courage to back a captain despite series defeats one after another, both home and away. But they did that and the results are there for all to see.

Credit as much to CSA management at that time. Not sure if current management or people in charge have such foresight.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it was a gamble that paid off precisely because of persistence and patience shown by the management. Under Smith, South Africa had dark periods too from 03 to up to 07.
It was only post 07 WC with the emergence of a core group of players under Smith, that the team began to click. It takes courage to back a captain despite series defeats one after another, both home and away. But they did that and the results are there for all to see.

Credit as much to CSA management at that time. Not sure if current management or people in charge have such foresight.
I think when he was chosen so young CSA management new that he had to be given time... his own performances where quite good which allowed them to continue backing him... The current management have other priorities, unfortunately.

Marius

International Debutant

Remember Smith replaced Polly who was only a stop-gap after the Cronje debacle. Hansie could probably have played until 2003/2004, so there had been no real need to groom anyone up till then.

Smith was an inspired choice, but he had always shown leadership qualities. I think lots of people thought it inevitable that he would become captain of South Africa anyway, at some point.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Not been watching that closely, but just wanted to comment on Botham's point. Can you imagine if things like the Premier League gave more points for away wins than home ones? It would make no sense. Most good sides, in most sports, are fantastic at home and merely ok away, yet cricket has this weird obsession with the best side having to beat all the other top sides away. The key is to have a balanced schedule of home and away games.

91Jmay

International Coach
But we all know the pitches in cricket have a massive impact. Until there are consistent global pitches away series wins are more impressive.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Remember Smith replaced Polly who was only a stop-gap after the Cronje debacle. Hansie could probably have played until 2003/2004, so there had been no real need to groom anyone up till then.

Smith was an inspired choice, but he had always shown leadership qualities. I think lots of people thought it inevitable that he would become captain of South Africa anyway, at some point.
I think he made his debut against Australia in 2001-02 if I am not mistaken, and against that Australian team, on his debut series scored a fighting century. The entire team was getting hammered and losing 0-3 and this new guy comes and fights against McGrath and Warne. He certainly made his grit and fighting ability clear from the beginning.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Not been watching that closely, but just wanted to comment on Botham's point. Can you imagine if things like the Premier League gave more points for away wins than home ones? It would make no sense. Most good sides, in most sports, are fantastic at home and merely ok away, yet cricket has this weird obsession with the best side having to beat all the other top sides away. The key is to have a balanced schedule of home and away games.
But 'away' in cricket means so much more than 'away' in football.

Away in test cricket means a wide range of conditions and challenges which requires you to demonstrate a wide range of skills and adaptabilities. In fact, once talking to a football fan, when I talked about test cricket, the pitch and swing and Day 5 spin, he immediately conceded that it's a far more complicated sport. Football is just about scoring goals that's it.

For me, away wins demonstrate a greater range of skills. Most players would grow up in their home conditions, with certain skills which maximise their performances in said conditions. But then when you go in different conditions, and still figure out how to maximise your performance, then you are a cricketer of the highest class.
Case in point, James Anderson's ability to adapt in Asian conditions, and become a potent swing bowler there makes him a greater cricketer overall.

Last edited: