• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Marius

International Debutant
That's because we don't hear enough from them. It's usually 3-4 test matches a year where Super Sport is the main broadcaster.
Couldn't agree with you more. Robin Jackman was my favourite but not sure if he is on this time?

Miss Barry Richards but I think he moved to NZ.
No, he's still in SA. He lives in Knysna now, in the Western Cape. Just think he didn't toe the party line enough, so he doesn't get any commentating gigs anymore.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
No, he's still in SA. He lives in Knysna now, in the Western Cape. Just think he didn't toe the party line enough, so he doesn't get any commentating gigs anymore.
But I have heard him doing commentaries for Sky Sport in New Zealand. Not this season but previous seasons.

I love hearing his voice, especially his opinions on openers

Marius

International Debutant
But I have heard him doing commentaries for Sky Sport in New Zealand. Not this season but previous seasons.

I love hearing his voice, especially his opinions on openers
He definitely lives in Kynsna. Just read the recent biography about him and it talks about him living there, and my brother saw him in a restaurant down there when my brother was on his holidays.

Oduodu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wow I was under the impression barry lived in aus and worked most of his life as administrator for one state sides. Stopped reading about cricket after the hansie debacle. Then for some stange reason sa cricket action magazine went of the market along with all the contibutors(graeme pollock vincent van der bijl - henry fotheringham - hylton Ackerman etc) . Then when they gave all the unions a status and had 2 pools the standard of play became so low that no one went to watch list a matches and the had to form franchises to increase the standard of play. I stopped following cricket round about then.
That I why I only read what happens in franchise cricket as source of test cricketers.

Because test cricket is the real test of your cricket. Don't care about world cups anymore.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I like Pommie, reckon he's good - sometimes when he's on "ball by ball" duty he can state the obvious a bit too much, and resort to cliche, but he's a good facilitator for the other commentators.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That delivery there was probably the only really dangerous one Cook hasn't dropped his hands to.

Overdue innings, hope he can do a Rogers for SA.

Marius

International Debutant
Wow I was under the impression barry lived in aus and worked most of his life as administrator for one state sides. Stopped reading about cricket after the hansie debacle. Then for some stange reason sa cricket action magazine went of the market along with all the contibutors(graeme pollock vincent van der bijl - henry fotheringham - hylton Ackerman etc) . Then when they gave all the unions a status and had 2 pools the standard of play became so low that no one went to watch list a matches and the had to form franchises to increase the standard of play. I stopped following cricket round about then.
That I why I only read what happens in franchise cricket as source of test cricketers.

Because test cricket is the real test of your cricket. Don't care about world cups anymore.
Moved back to SA in the 1990s I think.

I think he married an Australian woman but they divorced. His son also committed suicide in Australia so perhaps that also pushed him to return to SA.

Gnske

He's all over the place, overpitching one ball, the next will be a good length in the corridor followed by leg side trash.

And just as I type that he does it in that order

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Woakes is getting caned. I'm following on Cricinfo but is he really bowling such muck?
He's just very ordinary. Some would describe him as a pie-chucker of the first order, and they may well be right. If nothing else, his role should be to keep things tight whilst the full time bowlers take a breather, but he simply isn't good enough to do that.

It's a bit like the final Ashes test - disappointing for England followers to see us performing to badly, but even worse for our opponents wondering htf they lost the series to us.

Last edited:

StephenZA

When you have an opener giving you a good start, it just makes your batting look so much more solid.
This... the difference that Cook has brought is immense, even just in the obvious confidence he is bringing to the top of the order when compared to what van Zyl was bringing..