• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spark

Global Moderator
If you can actually drag yourself through it, or do what I did and skip to the end after facepalming at the opening couple of paragraphs, I think his point is that cartoonish prejudice isn't funny, and if Gayle's offended by the first 80% of the article, he should understand how Mel felt about what he did. Which isn't a terrible point, but it's a not-terrible point made absolutely awfully.

I mean seriously, talk about burying the lead. You just don't publish that ****. Absolutely awful article regardless of the point it was trying to make.
Like, it's one thing to write it—I know full well that some ideas sound much better in your head than on paper, and you don't realise that until after you've written that piece—but somewhere there's an editor out there who's gone and read that for the first time and gone "mm, yeah, let's publish this ****"

91Jmay

International Coach
I think that it is fair to say that there are lots of people in the media who feel far more comfortable heavily criticising a black guy from the Caribbean so the dog whistle 'culture' card can be played. Plenty of white blokes in Aus, UK etc who see 'their' cultures as ***ist but conveniently ignore our own being equally so.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I didn't say it at the time since smali and thierry henry's attempts at considering a racial element in the OTT backlash was seen as playing the race card to defend Gayle, but this just cannot be ignored. Gayle did a terribly douchebag thing but he doesn't deserve nonsense like this.

Spark

Global Moderator
I didn't say it at the time since smali and thierry henry's attempts at considering a racial element in the OTT backlash was seen as playing the race card to defend Gayle, but this just cannot be ignored. Gayle did a terribly douchebag thing but he doesn't deserve nonsense like this.
More to the point, the rest of the Caribbean doesn't deserve nonsense like this.

indiaholic

International Captain
Just one terrible article, right? Where else are you seeing race being brought into the picture?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I agree. Goes back to the whole moral high-ground thing. I've said throughout the thread that the condemnation of Gayle is absolutely right, and the weight of popular opinion seems to be with me on this one, but the best way to devalue that whole standpoint is to have it fronted by trash like this. Whatever point the author is trying to make here, this piece surely does more harm than good.

cnerd123

likes this
Its the age we live in tho. Once something passes critical mass in popularity, it becomes a massive unstoppable ****storm till the next viral outrage.

Here you have Chris Gayle, the BBL, ***ism and the Aussie media. All the elements for a massively overblown story. I really don't think there are any racial undertones at all.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just one terrible article, right? Where else are you seeing race being brought into the picture?
I don't. But I'm just considering the fact that one of the reasons the backlash has been so severe may be because of the colour of Gayle's skin. Not saying it is or isn't since I'm a *****, but the possibility cannot be easily dismissed.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Its the age we live in tho. Once something passes critical mass in popularity, it becomes a massive unstoppable ****storm till the next viral outrage.

Here you have Chris Gayle, the BBL, ***ism and the Aussie media. All the elements for a massively overblown story. I really don't think there are any racial undertones at all.
I agree, but articles like this one rather open the door for people to suggest there are. Which is one of the main reasons why its publication was extremely ill-advised.

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah, I agree. Goes back to the whole moral high-ground thing. I've said throughout the thread that the condemnation of Gayle is absolutely right, and the weight of popular opinion seems to be with me on this one, but the best way to devalue that whole standpoint is to have it fronted by trash like this. Whatever point the author is trying to make here, this piece surely does more harm than good.
Yea we're already seeing the idiots like those over at Cricsim being so annoyed at how OTT the outrage is (and tbf me trolling them isnt helping) that they begin to side with Gayle and start hating on people they believe to be SJWs, Feminazis and White Knights instead. It takes away from the legitimacy of the outrage and ends up painting Gayle as some sort of anti-hero, which is not what we want.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't. But I'm just considering the fact that one of the reasons the backlash has been so severe may be because of the colour of Gayle's skin. Not saying it is or isn't since I'm a *****, but the possibility cannot be easily dismissed.
***ist asshole

The Knox article is amazing. I love it. Legit cannot wait to share it with my Caribbean friends.

Would have been so awesome if he published that before the second test match. Or if there was another Test to come. I imagine it would have riled up the WI players to the point where we would have an actual competitive game.

indiaholic

International Captain
Race may be a factor, of course, but don't see why you are giving it credence on the basis of one article. Agree with sledger though that this article will give ammunition to people who think this is a racial issue.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yea we're already seeing the idiots like those over at Cricsim being so annoyed at how OTT the outrage is (and tbf me trolling them isnt helping) that they begin to side with Gayle and start hating on people they believe to be SJWs, Feminazis and White Knights instead. It takes away from the legitimacy of the outrage and ends up painting Gayle as some sort of anti-hero, which is not what we want.
Yeah, exactly. It serves only to whip up hysteria about things that have nothing to do with the issue at hand, obfuscating said issue and preventing it from being addressed on its own merits. Woeful. And that's before you consider the fact that the article itself is just utter ****e, regardless of what its potential effects might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.