• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Chris Gayle some sort of perverted misogynist or can everyone just settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chris Gayle was in the wrong. However if you found what he said funny then that doesn't make you a terrible person. And in two weeks time, he wont care, she wont care and we wont care.
Nah, she isn't living this down in a hurry. Which is a shame and not her fault at all.

Flem274*

123/5
If you're kiwi and have a self hatred streak check out the Veitch on Sport facebook page comments section if you feel like getting angry. Some of those comments make Captain Cooks reddit nerd mens rights wobble look balanced.

mintykip

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Don't bite my head off, but has she given any other interviews/disclosed any more information elsewhere other than that Project interview? As I know she's being professional and all but it does seem that she downplayed it slightly. She could have easily come out in the interview and really gone into detail on how it made her feel disrespected, violated, uncomfortable etc. Instead she seems to be portraying a more "eh, you get the odd idiot that makes you feel uncomfortable in your job, however 95% of my job is brilliant and I love every minute of it."

Just seems out of line with fellow female journos crying on air on her behalf.

ftr I'm not taking any side, it just seems some people are empathising more than what she's actually feeling.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
In an airport interview with Gayle one of the reporters said she had told her boss that his conduct made her uncomfortable.

Other female journos have shared their experiences how this often happens in their job. It speaks to a larger problem that a lot of people don't see or understand.

mintykip

I understand that there is a larger problem, but I'm relating to this specific incident and people stating how Mel must feel. It seems people are placing heavier weighting on 3rd party journalist information over than what she's actually saying.

cnerd123

likes this
The outrage is aimed more at people defending Gayle's actions than at Gayle himself anyways. We've passed the sympathy for Mel stage.

mintykip

Yeah I know, my very first words a couple of posts ago were "Chris Gayle was wrong"' or something to that affect cbf checking actual wording. I'm simply referring to the reaction of certain people and the presumption of Mel's feelings on the incident. I'm impartial - or maybe I'm not if I said he was wrong.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
This thread is like a bit of a never ending vicious loop. One person says what's the big deal with the Gayle comment stating some ridiculous reasoning. Every one gets into explaining why it's ridiculous. In a few hours some one else does the same thing and it carries on.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This thread is like a bit of a never ending vicious loop. One person says what's the big deal with the Gayle comment stating some reasoning which I feel is bad. Every one gets into severe smug-superior mode and ad hominem only then followed by any reasoning. In a few hours some one else does the same thing and it carries on.
Ftfy.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
When it comes to cracking onto a female reporter there are better ways of doing it than asking her out for a drink mid-interview; it's just a bit of seppo bull**** that the West Indies introduced into the game. There's simply no better way of doing it than with the traditional Australian hug or a kiss or a lick, a grope on the ass or a bit of a dry root. It’s still the most appropriate way I think of showing ones exuberance and excitement. And it’s certainly the most masculine and manly way of going about it!

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah no risk of that; I'm incredibly boring already. Pretty sure that's independent of any belief in social justice too.

And I'm not inhibiting myself to an unlimited degree. 'Not being a dick' is remarkably low-cost. I don't see how not telling racist jokes, not misgendering people, or respecting other faiths makes me boring. Nor do I see how the inverse would make me interesting.

RTB's got it right with the whole social cues thing. We all do it subconsciously -- I bet you don't swear nearly as much around your mother as you would in a pub with your best mates. Communication adjusts depending on the context, because walking around intentionally upsetting people all day is generally not a good thing to be doing. And certainly doesn't make you much fun at parties.
But what you said before doesn't limit yourself to racist, ***ist views etc. It extends to not using the word hell too much in case religious people in the vicinity are offended. I'd be having a mild personal crisis if I caught myself doing that. And your logical viewpoint is that there's no such thing as an overreaction because 'it's their lived experience', so the possibilities for self-censorship are endless.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
When it comes to cracking onto a female reporter there are better ways of doing it than asking her out for a drink mid-interview; it's just a bit of seppo bull**** that the West Indies introduced into the game. There's simply no better way of doing it than with the traditional Australian hug or a kiss or a lick, a grope on the ass or a bit of a dry root. It’s still the most appropriate way I think of showing ones exuberance and excitement. And it’s certainly the most masculine and manly way of going about it!
End the thread

cnerd123

likes this
Yea plz. Not just because of Skyliner, but because Dan is going to come back online eventually and reply to all the replies to his posts and I don't think I can sit through anymore of that. CW has suffered enough.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One can always rely on Hollywood stars to opine on character formation. On the other hand, soldiers rarely do.

Status
Not open for further replies.