• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Root camps on his back foot and has an ugly slash at balls short and wide outside off. I think that's a degree of why he's not converting at the moment; he hits **** balls at a catchable height into an area that almost always has fielders.

Almost every time I've watched him recently, he's always taking short wide filth and turning into something catchable if you happen to get lucky and have a backward point or gully in the right spot.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
re. England ugly batsmen: possibly result of being successful in England where you have to play the ball late on seaming wickets? Compared to batsmen from places where you can hit through the ball better?

it's a hypothesis, probably complete rubbish

Compton

International Debutant
Plenty on Twitter now slating Hales as someone that can't play legitimate pace and who struggles with a fourth stump line, as if every other test batsman has figured those problems out :laugh:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
re. England ugly batsmen: possibly result of being successful in England where you have to play the ball late on seaming wickets? Compared to batsmen from places where you can hit through the ball better?

Kanedaddy plays later than anyone else in the game and he's as serene as silk.

Compton

International Debutant
Steve Smith has the best technique anyway. All the coaches will tell you to move as much as possible, keep nothing still, and have as many trigger movements as you have time for.

OverratedSanity

i prefer the more individual techniques to the textbook swallowers like bell. bell was too perfect for my tastes.
Yeah but Root-Compton-Taylor just blend together for me. All similarly crabby and ungainly in my eyes. Atleast if they looked uniquely awkward like, say Steve Smith, I'd enjoy them a bit more.

harsh.ag

Yeah but Root-Compton-Taylor just blend together for me. All similarly crabby and ungainly in my eyes. Atleast if they looked uniquely awkward like, say Steve Smith, I'd enjoy them a bit more.
Yeah this batting line up is indeed a sight for sore eyes, Cook aside.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Compton's strike rate is marginally higher than Hales'. Stats.
Yeah, but Hales was hindered by Compton's lack of #intent.

Yeah you just can't play on the up/through the line as easily as in most countries, I'd say it's the biggest reason.

OverratedSanity

Yeah you just can't play on the up/through the line as easily as in most countries, I'd say it's the biggest reason.
This isn't something new though. Among English players from the previous gen, KP, Bell, Vaughan, Prior were very pleasing aesthetically. This newer generation is just butt ugly for some reason.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
yeah but they used to have, as Graeme Swann has openly admitted, one of the ugliest and most boring top 3s ever - Cook, Strauss and Trott.

Pothas

Only really Cook was ugly out of those 3. Trott was certainly boring but I don't think he was actually ungainly or anything, Strauss was neither really.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
This isn't something new though. Among English players from the previous gen, KP, Bell, Vaughan, Prior were very pleasing aesthetically. This newer generation is just butt ugly for some reason.
KP grew up in SA tbf. It naturally fluctuates I guess. They'll be eras where there's more players good to watch and eras where there's more players who are pretty turgid to watch.