• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015

Flem274*

123/5
Is there really that much ability in the Sri Lanka ranks though? They were towled up in the last game by an attack shorn of Southee, Boult, Milne.

Gunathilaka avg 12.33
Thirimanne avg 33.74
Chandimal avg 30.51
Siriwardana avg 27.87
Kapugedera avg 21.70
Kulasekara avg 15.72

Dilshan has been quality, but is it a case of Dilshan: has-been - the bloke is 39.

I guess it's a case of: can Mathews play to his ability, and can the others stick around with him if he does.
I think there's more than enough quality in Mathews, Dilshan, Chandimal and Siriwardena to post good totals, and definitely do better than the previous two games. In the first Kulasekara made a score with wogging ffs. Easy conditions for good batsmen.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
See, here's the problem vik me old mate, you seem to be under the impression you can "work it out", just crunch a few numbers and hey presto, the perfect ATG team.

You can't compare players from different eras by looking at their stats, it just doesn't work. If the great players of the 70s an 80s were starting their careers today, their stats would end up looking different, because the game is different now. Just watch them play and it's pretty damn obvious who the great players are.
Choosing an ATG team is a hypothetical exercise anyway. Who you choose depends on a lot of things, one of which is team structure and balance. You can't just choose your 11 most ATG players. If India just chose their 11 most ATG players they'd have a team of 8 batsmen, Kapil Dev, Anil Kumble and Zaheer Khan.

All I'm saying is that this team balance factor rules out choosing Bevan, as great as he was. Cricket has evolved to be point that we now understand that we need hitters from 6 on down. So Bevan's skillset would not make him particularly useful.

On the other side of the coin, if I had to pick an ODI team that was made of one great player and 10 spuds, I'd probably pick Bevan first out of anyone. If you understand why this is you can understand the logic of my not picking him in an ATG side.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Choosing an ATG team is a hypothetical exercise anyway. Who you choose depends on a lot of things, one of which is team structure and balance. You can't just choose your 11 most ATG players. If India just chose their 11 most ATG players they'd have a team of 8 batsmen, Kapil Dev, Anil Kumble and Zaheer Khan.

All I'm saying is that this team balance factor rules out choosing Bevan, as great as he was. Cricket has evolved to be point that we now understand that we need hitters from 6 on down. So Bevan's skillset would not make him particularly useful.

On the other side of the coin, if I had to pick an ODI team that was made of one great player and 10 spuds, I'd probably pick Bevan first out of anyone. If you understand why this is you can understand the logic of my not picking him in an ATG side.
Is Angelo Mathews the Michael Bevan of this Sri Lankan team? Or should he be further up the order? And does Dilshan think to himself that he's one great player among a field of spuds? Good on Dilshan though, still out there giving it another go round when his old compadres have left the stage.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm having real trouble working out if kiwivictor is trolling or not

assuming the former but why would anyone go to so much effort for trolling that isn't even funny

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

So what you're saying is all cricket prior to 2000 or so is irrelevant. Gotcha. I'm not bothering with this anymore. Enjoy your simming.

Gob

International Coach
yes

Also you don't have to have a choice. Bevan actually batted at #4 a fair bit so he can slot in there with Hussey at 5 to milk the bowling around in the middle overs until Symonds and Watson come and use the long handle.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Hussey played in the late 80s/90s he'd probably have a SR of about 55 and have hit 1 six for his entire career