• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015

YorksLanka

International Debutant
For the rest of this tour, not as a permanent change, open with Karu. Let him bat at an SR of 40 for the first 20 overs but not get out. And let everyone else do whatever they want to do. Dinesh and Matthews too low in the order. Neither one of them seem suited to uphill skiing so let them walk out to bat earlier when it is 20-1 rather than 30-2.
Scoreboard pressure is immense in cricket.

My suggestion only.

That said your team were the recepients again of some pretty handy bowling. Henry, MclenbecauseIcan, and Doug are very useful bowlers.
I really am not sure who to bring in as the squad is pretty rubbish tbh, I don't understand why kapugedara is there; despite me championing his cause on here recently, thirtimanne isn't performing. I don't think gunathilake is up to this standard of cricket.. I don't understand why when we get smashed by fast bowling we choose to play two spinners? Chameera clearly struggles with the pressure of odi cricket and needs guidance from senior bowlers..thing is , thisaea has been awful recently so can't see why he has been added? I suppose vithanage needs to be brought in..
For me I suppose our team would be chandimal , dilshan, vithanage, Mathews, siriwardena , thirrimanne,thisara,Senanayake,kula,chameera, Pradeep.
This team will still get beat heavily tbh..

Skyliner

International 12th Man
When you saw Brett Lee bowling with the new ball in ODIs when in form . . . ****ing scary. 155kph big outswingers. The guy was basically unplayable.

Bowled some **** at the end of the innings though. But that's just ordinary captaincy.
Bowled some beamers at Baz. Never saw him bowl beamers at anyone else. I'll always have a question mark over the guy for that.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Lee warned for "trying to hurt"

Lee warned for "trying to hurt"

Post by Will Sutto » Tue, 07 Mar 2000 04:00:00
Article from the SMH web site............
By PHIL WILKINS in Hamilton

Northern Districts won the toss and batted. At stumps on day one of a four-day match they were 9-295.

Australian Test speedster Brett Lee was warned for intimidation and for attempting to injure Northern Districts No11 batsman Bruce
Martin by bowling through the crease and delivering a bouncer late in the tourists' first-class match yesterday.

Umpire Dave Quested, a detective-sergeant, who has stood in three Tests, spoke at length to Lee, wagging his finger at him, then
spoke to acting captain Shane Warne following the delivery which whistled head-high past the tailender without striking him.

Umpire Quested claimed later that Lee had charged "two and a half feet over the crease" and his interpretation of the incident was
that "it seemed an intention to injure the striker".

Quested said: "A normal no-ball is an inch or an inch and a half over and you can't prove it intentional. But he went two and a half
feet over the crease and it seemed an intention to injure the striker."

Lee (1-57), bowling the last of his 16 overs of the day, was in a particularly hostile mood yesterday as he sought to impress the
tour selectors and retain his position as Glenn McGrath's new-ball partner for next Saturday's first Test ahead of Damien Fleming
(0-44).

In a relatively short time Lee, Australia's fastest bowler, has proved himself one of the most merciless. Openers and No11 batsmen
alike have been scorched by his bouncer. Earlier this season he broke the forearm of former Test paceman Jo Angel.

The Australian management refused to allow Lee to speak to the media to put his side but off-spinner Colin Miller (2-70), unable to
see Lee overstepping the crease from his position in the field, said he believed a paceman should be permitted to bowl one bouncer
at a tailender.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bowled some beamers at Baz. Never saw him bowl beamers at anyone else. I'll always have a question mark over the guy for that.
He bowled plenty of beamers. No doubt in my mind he did it intentionally. Happened way too often. The one he bowled to Tendulkar was especially terrible. Head high 150 kph.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
All everybody is saying is that it is wrong to judge Bevan for not doing things which he was not required to do. Would he have failed as a finisher today? Maybe. Would he have been the best finisher playing today? Maybe. Thing is that he was given a particular role in a team. He fulfilled that as well as you can hope for. You can't judge people for not doing things they were not required to do.
This sums things up quite perfectly. Bevan was the Bradman of his era in that great ODI batsmen averaged 40 whereas Bevan averaged 50, mostly due to his high percentage of not outs which was his job: be there at the end and see the team home. Also, Viktor seems to completely ignore the fact that Bevan's SR in the first innings was a shade under 80, so he batted quicker when putting runs on the board. His strike rate is slower in the second innings when trying to construct an innings to save a match, which brings down his overall strike rate.

Thing is, which Kiwiviktor seems to forget with all his simming and statplay is the stats come after the performance, not before it.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Cool meme, but ATG player != should be picked in an ATG team.
This is a problem though, because you can have different teams for different eras because ODIs have changed so much in such a short period of times. Plus, it's a bit rough leaving guys out who played in a different era because they don't score quickly enough compared to batsmen now.

Bevan would be in my ATG ODI side of all eras, ftr.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Tomorrow can't come fast enough for the thread

Sri Lanka playing to their ability would greatly help too
Is there really that much ability in the Sri Lanka ranks though? They were towled up in the last game by an attack shorn of Southee, Boult, Milne.

Gunathilaka avg 12.33
Thirimanne avg 33.74
Chandimal avg 30.51
Siriwardana avg 27.87
Kapugedera avg 21.70
Kulasekara avg 15.72

Dilshan has been quality, but is it a case of Dilshan: has-been - the bloke is 39.

I guess it's a case of: can Mathews play to his ability, and can the others stick around with him if he does.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I haven't seen enough of some of the others to judge them, but I definitely think Chandimal's a lot better than that 30.51 suggests.

BeeGee

International Captain
OK, let's work it out.
See, here's the problem vik me old mate, you seem to be under the impression you can "work it out", just crunch a few numbers and hey presto, the perfect ATG team.

You can't compare players from different eras by looking at their stats, it just doesn't work. If the great players of the 70s an 80s were starting their careers today, their stats would end up looking different, because the game is different now. Just watch them play and it's pretty damn obvious who the great players are.